|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul drink as soon as he gets off the plane?
2. What does the barman not agree to?
3. What state did Lotterman come from?
4. In what month does the main character leave for Puerto Rico?
5. What does Paul accuse the old man of sitting on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Paul, Sala and the girls do on the beach?
2. What gives the reader the idea that Paul intends to stay in San Juan?
3. Why does Paul decide to go out drinking the night before he flies to Puerto Rico?
4. Summarize Chapter 3.
5. Describe how Al built up his business.
6. What problems does Paul have with the old man in Chapter 1?
7. In what way do all the characters working on the newspaper give Paul a bad first impression of his new job and life in San Juan ?
8. What kind of people like to drink at Al's bar?
9. What does Paul do when he finds out he cannot work?
10. Describe the argument between Yeaman and Lotterman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Thompson use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect his/her interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Thompson's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)