|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters does Paul say is drunk constantly?
2. What part of San Juan does Al live in?
3. Who does Paul decide to visit?
4. What is the name of the paper's editor?
5. Why can Paul not stay for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Sala at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What does Paul think Segarra's role is at the newspaper?
3. What signs are there that newspaper will soon fold?
4. What does Paul do on his first night in San Juan?
5. How does Paul try to get revenge on Segarra?
6. What does Paul do when he finds out he cannot work?
7. What does Paul do on his first day at the newspaper?
8. What problems does Paul have with the old man in Chapter 1?
9. Describe the argument between Yeaman and Lotterman.
10. Summarize Chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960's? How does Thompson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters and write his/her character background:
1) Paul Kemp
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect his/her interactions with each other?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)