|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Paul sent to on Tuesday?
2. What was Al's job before he became a bar owner?
3. What does Yeamon say he can get in the local bar?
4. Where does Paul go for dinner?
5. What does Paul think Segarra has decided to do to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument between Yeaman and Lotterman.
2. Describe the San Juan News.
3. Describe how Al built up his business.
4. Why do neither Paul nor Sala like to stay in Sala's apartment?
5. What kind of people like to drink at Al's bar?
6. Summarize Chapter 3.
7. What problems do Paul, Sala and Yeaman run into at the bar?
8. What do Paul, Sala and the girls do on the beach?
9. Describe the internal problems at the newspaper.
10. What problems does Paul have with the old man in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did Americans play in Puerto Rican life in the Fifties? Why was Puerto Rico such an attractive place for Americans to go to in the Fifties? How has American tourism and American culture changed Puerto Rico?
Essay Topic 2
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following statement: Paul does not make a success of his time in Puerto Rico because he lacks both direction and ambition.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Paul Kemp's to the person he was when he first arrived in Puerto Rico to the person he is when he leaves.
1) What does Paul hope to achieve in Puerto Rico?
2) What events change Paul's ideas about journalism and life?
3) How is Paul different at the end of the book from the person he was at the beginning of the book?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)