|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of transport does Yeamon have?
2. Who does Paul talk to at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What do Paul and Yeamon fish for?
4. What is Sanderson's job?
5. Who paid for the ale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul do on his first night in San Juan?
2. How does Paul try to get revenge on Segarra?
3. What problems do Paul, Sala and Yeaman run into at the bar?
4. Describe the San Juan News.
5. What does Paul do on his first day at the newspaper?
6. What does Paul do when he finds out he cannot work?
7. Why has Paul Kemp come to San Juan?
8. What happens to Sala at the end of Chapter 3?
9. What do Paul, Sala and the girls do on the beach?
10. What do Paul and Sala do at the casino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Yeoman different from the other male characters in the book? How much is this difference due to his youth? Why do you think Paul is constantly comparing himself to Yeoman?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the novel and discuss how the novel's meaning would change if it were written from his/her point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect his/her interactions with each other?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)