|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Paul sent to on Tuesday?
2. Who does Paul talk to first thing the next morning?
3. What does Paul talk to Lotterman about?
4. Who upsets Sala in this chapter?
5. Where did Al build his bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the internal problems at the newspaper.
2. How does Paul feel about Yeaman and Chanault's relationship in Chapter 3?
3. How does Paul try to get revenge on Segarra?
4. Describe the San Juan News.
5. Why can Paul not work at the beginning of this chapter?
6. Summarize Chapter 3.
7. Why does Paul give Yeaman and Sala a bad impression?
8. In what way do all the characters working on the newspaper give Paul a bad first impression of his new job and life in San Juan ?
9. What does Paul do on his first night in San Juan?
10. What does Paul do on his first day at the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Paul Kemp decided to go to Puerto Rico? What can he do in Puerto Rico that he cannot do in America?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from the novel and discuss how the novel's meaning would change if it were written from his/her point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1960's? How does Thompson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)