|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of potato chips does Sean claim give him indigestion?
2. What has Richard changed his name to in adulthood?
3. What is Paul doing in his hotel room when Richard returns and tires to flirt with him?
4. What is the name of the friend who takes Sean into town the day he breaks up with Lauren?
5. What does Sean smash against Lauren's door after seeing her at the party with another man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Clay, and why has he moved to Camden?
2. What happens when Lauren finally confronts Sean about sleeping with Judy?
3. What characteristics about Sean's personality starts to irritate Lauren after they have been dating for some time?
4. What do Norris and Sean do together when they drive into town on Halloween night?
5. Why does Paul abruptly leaves Boston?
6. What happens when Lauren calls Victor for the first time since he left for Europe?
7. Who is Vittorio, and what type of relationship does he have with Lauren?
8. What happens when Lauren and Sean take a vacation together in New York?
9. How does Lauren claim to know the truth about Sean sleeping with Judy?
10. What bumbling apology does Sean try to make to Lauren in regards to his cheating, and how does Lauren respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lauren breaks up with Sean, he tries a few very lame attempts to kill himself and tries to convince Lauren that his death is imminent at the Halloween party. First, describe the various suicide attempts that Sean tries after his break up with Lauren. How does the reader know that Sean is not serious about trying to end his own life? Then, describe Sean's outburst at the Halloween party after he sees Lauren dancing with another man. How does Lauren react to this violent outburst? What does Lauren's reaction tell the reader about her relationship with Sean?
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the novel, both Lauren and Sean have sexual partners that embarrass them, Steve and Deirdre. First, explain why Lauren is embarrassed of Steve and compare/contrast this to the embarrassment Sean feels about Deirdre. Based on the embarrassments of these two characters, what can the reader assume is most important in the relationships of these young characters?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the students in this novel come from extremely wealthy families, and money is not an issue to them. First, describe how monetary stresses most college students face are erased from the lives of these characters. Then, give at least two examples of scenes in which money is clearly not an issue for the students. Finally, explain how you think coming from families with money has affected the life decisions these students make while at college. Do you think they would live the same spoiled, hedonistic lives if they were not wealthy? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)