|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following events does NOT take place when Victor finally calls Lauren upon returning home from Europe?
2. What does Sean smear on the walls of Lauren's bedroom?
3. How does Paul react when he realizes that Richard is trying to seduce him?
4. In what state did Paul's ex-girlfriend used to live, the girl that Paul's mother still thinks he is dating?
5. How does Sean's friend react when he finds him unconscious, full of Acitifed tablets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lauren and Sean take a vacation together in New York?
2. What is the real reason Paul's mother has requested her son to come visit her in Boston?
3. What bumbling apology does Sean try to make to Lauren in regards to his cheating, and how does Lauren respond?
4. Why does Victor finally phone Lauren, and what is her reaction to the call?
5. What happens when Sean and Lauren spend the night together for the first time in his room?
6. Who is Richard Jared?
7. What events lead Sean to believe that he is falling in love with Lauren?
8. Why does Lauren think that Victor is dead, and how does she react to this news?
9. Who is Clay, and why has he moved to Camden?
10. What scene does Paul return home to when he gets off the bus from Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the opening scene of the novel. Do you think it is an effective opening to the novel? Why or why not? What is accomplished in introducing all the characters at once in one raucous party scene? What is lost?
Essay Topic 2
What type of relationship does Sean have with his family, particularly the men in his life? What does the reader learn about Sean's family dynamics during the scene in the hospital room? How does this scene illustrate Sean's relationship with death? How does the understanding of Sean's relationship with his family help to explain his relationship with Lauren?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Paul and Sean is certainly one of the most confusing in the novel. What discrepancies does the reader see in the two retellings of the relationship? Why do you think Ellis chooses to present the relationship between these men with confusion rather than straight narrative? Do you think this method of storytelling is effective? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)