|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe rescue Mooshum from in Chapter 7?
2. What month did Geraldine have seedlings in the south-facing windows of her home?
3. What do Joe and Bazil eat at Mighty Al's?
4. In Chapter 6, what does Bazil say that he and Father Travis discuss?
5. What is the name of the Catholic church on the reservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the first time that Linda comes to Joe's house?
2. How does Clemence dress to clean the church?
3. How does the family routine change in Chapter 8?
4. What does Geraldine miss while she is hiding in her room in Chapter 5?
5. What chores does Joe do at Whitey's in Chapter 8?
6. What do Joe and his father plant in the flower beds?
7. What does Joe do when he leaves Whitey's after Whitey and Sonja have a fight?
8. What does Joe say about people buried in the cemetery?
9. Why did Linda's mother contact her?
10. How does Mooshum spend autumn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe’s relationship with Linda changes throughout the novel. What does Joe think of Linda at first? What makes his opinion change? Why does Joe come to respect and trust Linda?
Essay Topic 2
Geraldine’s job is about secrets. What is Geraldine’s job and what does it have to do with secrets? Why is her job the cause of her attack?
Essay Topic 3
Joe believes that he sees a ghost at various times in the novel. What do both Joe and Randall see that seems to be ghost-like? How seriously do Indians believe in the supernatural? What does the ghost symbolize to Joe? How does Mooshum explain the ghost? What does the ghost represent by the end of the novel?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)