|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Doe's main job?
2. What type of bike does Cappy ride?
3. Where does Joe fall asleep at the end of Chapter 1?
4. In Chapter 4 after visiting the round house, where do Joe and his friends go for something to eat?
5. How much money does Joe's mother give him in Chapter 2 to get some milk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe describe his mother and her sister?
2. What is the book that Joe looks at at the beginning of Chapter 1 and why does he look at it?
3. How does Bazil describe the Larks?
4. What does Cappy look like?
5. What is Geraldine's job?
6. In Chapter 4, what does Joe visualize that the attacker did?
7. Before his mother is hurt, what did Joe usually do after school?
8. What type of bike does Zack have, and who bought it for him?
9. What does Joe realize about judges and how does his father fit the stereotype?
10. What type of bike does Angus have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe’s relationship with Linda changes throughout the novel. What does Joe think of Linda at first? What makes his opinion change? Why does Joe come to respect and trust Linda?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
Essay Topic 3
Joe refers to Cappy as his best friend. In what ways does Cappy help Joe throughout the novel? How would you describe their relationship, and how they affected one another’s lives?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)