|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "From First Glance" is dedicated to whom?
2. Who wrote the Introduction of "The Rose That Grew from Concrete"?
3. "Starry Night" is dedicated to the memory of whom?
4. The poetry in "The Rose That Grew from Concrete" was written from 1989 until when?
5. What line follows "I am not a perfectionist" in "The Eternal Lament"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the father described in "Tears of a Teenage Mother"?
2. Who is the subject of "The Shining Star Within"? What does Shakur lament about this person?
3. What does Shakur foretell in his life in "So I Say Goodbye"?
4. What does Shakur write of the positive influences in his life in "In the Event of My Demise"?
5. How are Shakur's feelings about women illustrated in the poems?
6. What examples of injustice does Shakur cite in "Liberty Needs Glasses"?
7. What civil rights activists are described in the poems of Section 2?
8. What can be said of the poems in Section 4 which predict Shakur's death?
9. How does Shakur describe the love affair in "Elizabeth"?
10. How does the theme of racism apply to the poems of Section 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Tupac Shakur's marriage and divorce. How does Shakur describe his wife in "1 for April," "Wife 4 Life," "Tears from a Star," and "March 1st--The Day After April"?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of love in the poems "A Love Unspoken," "Forever and Today," "When Do I Kiss U," and "Carmencita of the Bronx!" What fears does Shakur express regarding love?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tupac Shakur's position with the U.S. Government and its hypocrisy as described in "Government Assistance or My Soul." What imagery does Shakur use in the poem to reinforce his beliefs?
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)