|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the poem "In the Depths of Solitude" dedicated?
2. To whom is "Wife 4 Life" dedicated?
3. "1 for April" begins with what line?
4. In "1st Impressions," the poet writes, "I Knew from the First glance / that U would be" what?
5. Who wrote the Preface of "The Rose That Grew from Concrete"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be said of the poems in Section 4 which predict Shakur's death?
2. What artists and cultural icons are described in the poems of Section1?
3. What civil rights activists are described in the poems of Section 2?
4. How does Shakur describe politicians in "The Promise"?
5. How are Shakur's feelings about women illustrated in the poems?
6. What wishes does Shakur have for Carmen in "Carmencita of the Bronx!"?
7. How did Shakur feel about Vincent van Gogh?
8. Describe the ups and downs in the poetry. How did they affect Shakur?
9. What happens when one marries struggle with perfection in "Nightmares"?
10. How does the theme of ambition relate to Shakur's poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of friendship in "Nothing Can Come Between Us," "My Dearest One!!" "If There Be Pain..." and "Things That Make Hearts Break." How is love expressed in these poems?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze "The Shining Star Within" and "Starry Night" and discuss the theme of the fallen star in the poems. How did Shakur relate to the artists?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the structural elements of "What I See!" "In the Midst of Passion," "2 People with 1 Wish," and "Hours Pass By." What is the rhythm and meter of the works?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)