|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reason compares courtly love to which of the following?
2. What ability does Fals-Semblance boast?
3. Who has the ability to be any woman?
4. What is Cupid's laughter when talking to Fals-Semblance interpreted as?
5. Wealth is a result of what, according to Reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reason say about rich people?
2. What is the consequence of having multiple authors for The Romance of the Rose?
3. Why does the narrator listen to Reason's arguments?
4. What message does Fals-Semblance send to the reader?
5. Describe Fals-Semblance.
6. How does Cupid's discussion of prostitution and courtly love appear cynical?
7. According to reason, what is Age?
8. How does Reason personify fortune?
9. According to Reason, what is Youth?
10. What advice does Vekke give to Bialacoil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reason discusses the differences between Youth and Age. Describe these differences and the message Reason hopes to convey about both characteristics. Is Reason right about the differences between Youth and Age?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Venus's role in The Romance of the Rose. What does she bring with her? How does she bring attraction and chemistry? Is she good or bad?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail one of the characters in Sir Mirth's court. How does the physical appearance of this character influence the way the reader views this character? How does the physical appearance of this character relate to his or her personality or behavior? Why is this significant?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)