|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main symbol of love in The Romance of the Rose?
2. What does the narrator see at the bottom of the well?
3. Who invites the narrator to dance first?
4. Who does Wikked-Tunge especially villify?
5. Who snarls at and then chases the narrator in the rose garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the castle that Jealousy begins to build?
2. What does Daunger represent?
3. What are De Lorris's three motives for writing The Romance of the Rose?
4. Asses the arguments Reason makes about the pain of love and the need to control emotions.
5. Describe Reason.
6. Describe Wikked-Tunge's appearance.
7. What does Bialacoil represent when he is locked away?
8. What is Good Hope?
9. Describe one of the characters at court in the garden.
10. What does love feel like for the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is The Romance of the Rose a misogynistic piece of literature? What characters are misogynistic? How does this reflect on larger themes within the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What message does Fals-Semblances presence in the court of courtly love send to the reader? Why is Fals-Semblance considered desirable in courtship? Do you agree?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the arguments that Reason makes in his conversations about courtly love and gift giving. Are Reason's arguments logical? Are the convincing? Are they valid? Are they outdated?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)