|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the messages in The Romance of the Rose is that hope can do what to a lover?
2. Which adjective best describes the couples in the garden?
3. Why does the style of The Romance of the Rose change so much after a certain point?
(a) The narrator's feelings change quickly.
(b) The text gets a new author.
(c) The narrator wakes up.
(d) The story is divided into a beginning and an ending.
4. What is distinct about Wikked-Tungue's appearance?
(a) His tongue is square.
(b) His head is a triangle.
(c) His eyes are squares.
(d) His ears are nonexistent.
5. Who does Jealousy want to lock away?
(c) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dread afraid of?
2. In what month does the narrator's dream occur?
3. Where is the narrator hit by Cupid's arrows?
4. The narrator discusses the tendency to look where for matters of love?
5. The new style that takes over The Romance of the Rose focuses on what kind of traits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Good Hope?
2. Who is Bialacoil?
3. What is significant about the castle that Jealousy begins to build?
4. How can the rose in The Romance of the Rose be compared to Juliet from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet?
5. Who is Vekke?
6. Why is the narrator's request to kiss the rose a turning point in the novel?
7. How does Cupid suggest that the narrator can be a good suitor?
8. What message does the allegory relay about the way a woman reacts to a man's interest?
9. Asses the arguments Reason makes about the pain of love and the need to control emotions.
10. Describe one of the characters at court in the garden.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)