|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character resolves to be in good hope?
(c) The narrator.
2. The narrator's longing to enter the garden mirrors which reference?
(a) Alice's Wonderland.
(b) A reference to Sophocles.
(c) The garden of Eden.
(d) A holiday wish.
3. What is the main symbol of love in The Romance of the Rose?
4. Who does the garden the narrator finds belong to?
5. Who snarls at and then chases the narrator in the rose garden?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shame protect the roses from?
2. Cupid tells the narrator that a lover must shun which trait?
3. Who or what does the narrator request to kiss?
4. Who does Reason say is a bad master?
5. Who does Wikked-Tunge especially villify?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bialacoil represent when he is locked away?
2. What is significant about the castle that Jealousy begins to build?
3. Describe the tone De Lorris uses to describe the narrator's entrance to Mirth's garden.
4. Describe the change that occurs in the writing style in the middle of the book.
5. What does Daunger represent?
6. How is Dread a caricature?
7. Describe the view of Narcissus that the narrator has.
8. What is allegorical about the rose in the garden?
9. Why is the narrator's request to kiss the rose a turning point in the novel?
10. Asses the arguments Reason makes about the pain of love and the need to control emotions.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)