|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Reason say is a bad master?
(b) The narrator.
2. Who or what does the narrator request to kiss?
(b) The garden wall.
(d) The rose.
3. What does the narrator sit down below after seeing the couples in the garden?
(a) Willow tree.
(b) Pine tree.
(d) Elm tree.
4. Who appears to be the reverse of villainy?
5. The narrator follows the river to which location?
(a) A garden.
(b) A cottage.
(c) A fountain.
(d) A castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason is suggested for becoming a good knight?
2. Which character is most symbolic of punishment?
3. In the allegory, what does the woman shut the man out of?
4. In the allegory where the rose represents the woman, who will she not defy?
5. Who is described as an old hag?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Vekke?
2. According to reason, what is Age?
3. What does Reason say about rich people?
4. What is Reason a mouthpiece for?
5. What does Venus's presence in the rose garden mean?
6. What is the consequence of having multiple authors for The Romance of the Rose?
7. What does Cupid's laughter represent in his discussion with Fals-Semblance?
8. What criticisms of the church does The Romance of the Rose offer?
9. How does Reason relate love to the feudal system?
10. Describe the view of Narcissus that the narrator has.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)