|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who prevents Bialacoil from granting the narrator's request for a kiss?
2. Who does Jealousy want to lock away?
(c) The narrator.
3. Who are Venus's children?
(a) Shame and Chastity.
(b) Cupid and Shame.
(c) Cupid and Chastity.
(d) Chastity, Charity, and Courtesy.
4. In what month does the narrator's dream occur?
5. Who is described as an old hag?
(a) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shame protect the roses from?
2. Who begins to build a castle?
3. What does De Lorris use to describe the garden?
4. How many arrows does cupid shoot at the narrator?
5. Who does Shame debate with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Reason.
2. How does Cupid's discussion of prostitution and courtly love appear cynical?
3. How is allegory used in The Romance of the Rose?
4. How do Fals-Semblance and Abstinence work together?
5. Is the overall tone of The Romance of the Rose optimistic or cynical?
6. What does Cupid's laughter represent in his discussion with Fals-Semblance?
7. How can the rose in The Romance of the Rose be compared to Juliet from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet?
8. Why isn't Hope an allegorical character?
9. What does Daunger represent?
10. How does Cupid respond to Fals-Semblance?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)