|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cupid is described through a metaphor as which of the following?
2. What kind of pain does Reason argue about?
(a) Pain of love.
(b) Pain of happiness.
(c) Pain of logic.
(d) Pain of ignorance.
3. What is the principle literary device in The Romance of the Rose?
4. Who does Jealousy want to lock away?
(b) The narrator.
5. Who does Wikked-Tunge especially villify?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator follows the river to which location?
2. The narrator is told that he must wait for which of the following before picking the rose?
3. Who is described as an old hag?
4. The narrator discusses the tendency to look where for matters of love?
5. What do the things painted on the wall represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does love feel like for the narrator?
2. Describe one of the characters at court in the garden.
3. What is allegorical about the rose in the garden?
4. Describe Wikked-Tunge's appearance.
5. How can the rose in The Romance of the Rose be compared to Juliet from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet?
6. What does Bialacoil represent in the allegory?
7. How does Cupid suggest that the narrator can be a good suitor?
8. Describe the change that occurs in the writing style in the middle of the book.
9. What is Jealousy's allegorical meaning?
10. Who is Vekke?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)