|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is most symbolic of punishment?
2. Who does Lady Mirth say holds the key to the Garden of Mirth?
3. What kind of pain does Reason argue about?
(a) Pain of logic.
(b) Pain of ignorance.
(c) Pain of love.
(d) Pain of happiness.
4. What kills Echo?
(a) Unrequited love.
5. What is the main symbol of love in The Romance of the Rose?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator now knows what it is like to be in which of the following?
2. Who begins to build a castle?
3. Who prevents Bialacoil from granting the narrator's request for a kiss?
4. Who do Dread and Shame wake up?
5. What is Daunger most associated with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bialacoil represent when he is locked away?
2. Describe one of the characters at court in the garden.
3. How might the reader's sympathy shift as a result of the way the woman reacts to her suitor?
4. Describe Reason.
5. What is Good Hope?
6. How is allegory used in The Romance of the Rose?
7. How can the rose in The Romance of the Rose be compared to Juliet from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet?
8. What does love feel like for the narrator?
9. Why is the narrator's request to kiss the rose a turning point in the novel?
10. What is Jealousy's allegorical meaning?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)