|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is true about the presence of time in The Romance of the Rose?
(a) There is no sense of passing time.
(b) Time moves very slowly.
(c) Time passes very quickly.
(d) There is no need for a reference to time.
2. What does Bialacoil's welcoming nature personify?
(a) The lady's friendliness.
(b) The lady's shallowness.
(c) The lady's embarrassment and shame.
(d) The lady's fortune.
3. Who begins to build a castle?
(d) The narrator.
4. What is distinct about Wikked-Tungue's appearance?
(a) His eyes are squares.
(b) His tongue is square.
(c) His ears are nonexistent.
(d) His head is a triangle.
5. Where does the narrator go to seek love immediately after visiting the well?
(a) The dining hall.
(b) The rose garden.
(c) The fountains.
(d) The castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the "Art of Love" refer to?
2. Who touches Bialacoil with a torch?
3. The new style that takes over The Romance of the Rose focuses on what kind of traits?
4. What does the narrator see at the bottom of the well?
5. Who invites the narrator to dance first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the narrator's request to kiss the rose a turning point in the novel?
2. Describe Reason.
3. Describe the view of Narcissus that the narrator has.
4. Asses the arguments Reason makes about the pain of love and the need to control emotions.
5. What does Venus's presence in the rose garden mean?
6. How is allegory used in The Romance of the Rose?
7. What does love feel like for the narrator?
8. What does Bialacoil represent when he is locked away?
9. How is the story of Narcissus an example of foreshadowing?
10. Who is Vekke?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)