|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see at the bottom of the well?
2. What is the principle literary device in The Romance of the Rose?
3. Reason stresses the need to control which of the following?
4. Who forbids all the visitors from the rose garden?
5. The description of which character is not an abstract personification?
Short Answer Questions
1. The people in the court are representative of which of the following?
2. Who does Shame protect the roses from?
3. Who does the "Art of Love" refer to?
4. What is distinct about Wikked-Tungue's appearance?
5. Who do Dread and Shame wake up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dread a caricature?
2. How does Cupid suggest that the narrator can be a good suitor?
3. Why is the narrator's request to kiss the rose a turning point in the novel?
4. How is the story of Narcissus an example of foreshadowing?
5. What does Bialacoil represent in the allegory?
6. What does Daunger represent?
7. How might the reader's sympathy shift as a result of the way the woman reacts to her suitor?
8. What is Good Hope?
9. Describe the change that occurs in the writing style in the middle of the book.
10. Asses the arguments Reason makes about the pain of love and the need to control emotions.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)