|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cupid tells the narrator that a lover must shun which trait?
2. Where does the narrator go to seek love immediately after visiting the well?
(a) The dining hall.
(b) The fountains.
(c) The rose garden.
(d) The castle.
3. Who are Venus's children?
(a) Chastity, Charity, and Courtesy.
(b) Cupid and Shame.
(c) Shame and Chastity.
(d) Cupid and Chastity.
4. Who does the "Art of Love" refer to?
5. How many arrows does cupid shoot at the narrator?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the principle literary device in The Romance of the Rose?
2. Why does the style of The Romance of the Rose change so much after a certain point?
3. Who is described as an old hag?
4. Which adjective best describes the guards of the castle?
5. Who does Lechery declare war on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bialacoil represent when he is locked away?
2. What does love feel like for the narrator?
3. How is Dread a caricature?
4. What are De Lorris's three motives for writing The Romance of the Rose?
5. What message does the allegory relay about the way a woman reacts to a man's interest?
6. What is Jealousy's allegorical meaning?
7. What is significant about the castle that Jealousy begins to build?
8. Who is Bialacoil?
9. What does Daunger represent?
10. How does Cupid suggest that the narrator can be a good suitor?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)