|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Lady Mirth say holds the key to the Garden of Mirth?
2. What is Dread afraid of?
(b) The narrator.
(c) His own shadow.
3. What does Wikked-Tunge represent?
4. The new style that takes over The Romance of the Rose focuses on what kind of traits?
5. What does the narrator sit down below after seeing the couples in the garden?
(b) Willow tree.
(c) Pine tree.
(d) Elm tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main symbol of love in The Romance of the Rose?
2. How old was the narrator when he had the dream he describes?
3. What is distinct about Wikked-Tungue's appearance?
4. In this allegory, how is it assumed that a woman will respond to a man?
5. Cupid is described through a metaphor as which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dread a caricature?
2. Who is Vekke?
3. How might the reader's sympathy shift as a result of the way the woman reacts to her suitor?
4. Describe Reason.
5. What does Venus's presence in the rose garden mean?
6. What does Daunger represent?
7. What is significant about the castle that Jealousy begins to build?
8. What is the significance of the springtime in the story?
9. Why is the narrator's request to kiss the rose a turning point in the novel?
10. What is Jealousy's allegorical meaning?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)