|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says that dreams are symbolic of which of the following?
2. What do the things painted on the wall represent?
(b) People who live inside.
(c) Vices not allowed inside.
(d) People who have visited in the past.
3. What kind of pain does Reason argue about?
(a) Pain of happiness.
(b) Pain of love.
(c) Pain of logic.
(d) Pain of ignorance.
4. Why does the style of The Romance of the Rose change so much after a certain point?
(a) The text gets a new author.
(b) The narrator's feelings change quickly.
(c) The narrator wakes up.
(d) The story is divided into a beginning and an ending.
5. In the allegory, what does the woman shut the man out of?
(a) Fear of love.
(b) Fear of punishment.
(c) Fear of heartbreak.
(d) Fear of commitment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Wikked-Tunge especially villify?
2. In what month does the narrator's dream occur?
3. What is Recreaundyse symbolic of?
4. What is true about the presence of time in The Romance of the Rose?
5. What trait is most associated with courtly love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jealousy's allegorical meaning?
2. What is significant about the castle that Jealousy begins to build?
3. Asses the arguments Reason makes about the pain of love and the need to control emotions.
4. Describe Reason.
5. Describe the tone De Lorris uses to describe the narrator's entrance to Mirth's garden.
6. Describe one of the vices painted on the garden wall.
7. What does love feel like for the narrator?
8. What does Bialacoil represent in the allegory?
9. Describe the change that occurs in the writing style in the middle of the book.
10. What is the significance of the springtime in the story?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)