|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what does Daungter protect?
(b) The rose.
(d) The castle.
2. Who does Shame debate with?
(a) The narrator.
3. What is the principle literary device in The Romance of the Rose?
4. What does fairsemblaunce represent?
5. The new style that takes over The Romance of the Rose focuses on what kind of traits?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears to be the reverse of villainy?
2. What does Daungter represent?
3. Who prevents Bialacoil from granting the narrator's request for a kiss?
4. Where does the narrator go to seek love immediately after visiting the well?
5. What does Venus represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Asses the arguments Reason makes about the pain of love and the need to control emotions.
2. Who is Vekke?
3. What message does the allegory relay about the way a woman reacts to a man's interest?
4. How might the reader's sympathy shift as a result of the way the woman reacts to her suitor?
5. What does Daunger represent?
6. What is allegorical about the rose in the garden?
7. What is Good Hope?
8. Describe the view of Narcissus that the narrator has.
9. What is the significance of the springtime in the story?
10. What does love feel like for the narrator?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)