|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adeline hear as she is walking through the small town in Chapter 19?
2. What does Louis tell Adeline about Theodore in Chapter19?
3. What did the Marquis ask for in return for letting La Motte go free?
4. Who does Adeline see riding away from the Abbey in Chapter 15?
5. Why is La Motte's trial postponed in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does D'Aunoy reveal with his testimony in Chapter 23?
2. What does Adeline hear on the first night on the ship which makes her curious? When does she hear the same thing again?
3. What does the judge decide after hearing Du Bosse's testimony?
4. What happens to Adeline when she arrives in Savoy in Chapter 16?
5. What does Du Bosse explain in his testimony?
6. What does La Motte tell the Marquis after Adeline leaves in Chapter 15? What does the Marquis do to La Motte?
7. Who does Adeline find out she is related to in Chapter 24? What does this person bring to Adeline?
8. What does Adeline find out about Theodore's family in Chapter 19?
9. In Chapter 21, what information do we learn the Marquis had against La Motte, which allowed the Marquis to control him?
10. What does the valet give to the Marquis? How does the Marquis react to the item?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ann Radcliffe, the author of the novel, "The Romance of the Forest." What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Radcliffe's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different archetypes present in "The Romance of the Forest." What archetypes are Adeline and Theodore? What archetype is the Marquis? What are some examples of archetypes relating to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fate in the novel "The Romance of the Forest." What does 'fate' mean? What are some examples of fate in the novel?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)