|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Theodore wounded when he fights with some officers who have come to arrest him in Chapter 12?
2. What does Madame La Motte suspect is the reason for the change in her husband in Chapter 3?
3. What does Madame La Motte begin to do for Adeline in Chapter 3?
4. Who locks Adeline in her room at the inn in Chapter 12?
5. What does La Motte order his son never to speak to him about again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adeline emerge from the La Mottes' hiding place at the beginning of Chapter 5? Who does she meet when she does so?
2. What worries do Adeline and Theodore have as they travel away from the Marquis in Chapter 12?
3. Who arrives at the abbey on a stormy night in Chapter 6?
4. What does Louis apologize to Adeline about in Chapter 5?
5. What danger does Peter tell Adeline about in Chapter 10?
6. What dreams does Adeline have in Chapter 7 after Theodore fails to show up for their arranged meeting?
7. With the Marquis expected for dinner, what does Adeline ask La Motte in Chapter 7, and how does he respond?
8. How does Adeline get along with the La Mottes after they settle in the abandoned abbey?
9. Where does Adeline discover a hidden room in Chapter 8? What does she find in the room?
10. How do La Motte and the Marquis react to each other when they see each other at the abbey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different archetypes present in "The Romance of the Forest." What archetypes are Adeline and Theodore? What archetype is the Marquis? What are some examples of archetypes relating to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Adeline and Theodore. What do they feel for one another? What conflicts arise between them? What do they assume of one another when they first meet? Why is it hard for Mary to trust Theodore at first?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Radcliffe's use of irony in the novel "The Romance of the Forest." What is irony? What are the three types of irony? What are some examples of irony in the novel?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)