|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the La Mottes' son forced to leave his family in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Adeline start to cry in Chapter 1?
3. What alerts Adeline to Theodore's presence in the woods?
4. Where is Theodore wounded when he fights with some officers who have come to arrest him in Chapter 12?
5. As it happens, how does Adeline find the dinner with the Marquis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does La Motte's behavior change after he and his household settle in at the abbey? How does Madame La Motte explain the change in his personality?
2. With the Marquis expected for dinner, what does Adeline ask La Motte in Chapter 7, and how does he respond?
3. What did Adeline's father want her to do since he could not support her?
4. What danger does Peter tell Adeline about in Chapter 10?
5. While at the house on the heath, what does Adeline hear a voice tell her.
6. Why is Madame La Motte saddened at the beginning of Chapter 1?
7. In Chapter 5, while singing in the woods, who does Adeline see and what does she do?
8. What does Louis try to get from Adeline before leaving to rejoin his regiment? How does she respond?
9. Why does La Motte's group return to spend the night at the Abbey in Chapter 2?
10. What dreams does Adeline have in Chapter 7 after Theodore fails to show up for their arranged meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel Adeline. What are Adeline's defining character traits? Who is she close to in the novel? What happens to Adeline throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ann Radcliffe, the author of the novel, "The Romance of the Forest." What others works did she write? What similarities or connections can be found between this novel and Radcliffe's other work? How is she regarded in the literary world?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Radcliffe's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Radcliffe use foreshadowing? How do the examples of foreshadowing affect the tone of the novel?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)