|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adeline feel about the Marquis coming to dinner?
2. What does La Motte spy in the distance which he believes might indicate a place for his group to stay?
3. What does La Motte tell his servant to buy on his second trip to the town?
4. Where does La Motte's party stop to spend the night after traveling all day?
5. What does Adeline think she hears La Motte and the Marquis talking about in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adeline beg La Motte for in Chapter 9?
2. Who arrives at the abbey on a stormy night in Chapter 6?
3. How does Adeline react when she reads the manuscript in Chapter 9? What does Adeline think she hears and sees while she is reading the manuscript?
4. How does Adeline escape from the Marquis' home in Chapter 11? Who does she encounter after escaping?
5. What does Peter find out about the abbey when he goes to town?
6. With the Marquis expected for dinner, what does Adeline ask La Motte in Chapter 7, and how does he respond?
7. What happens when La Motte goes to ask directions at a house outside of Paris?
8. Where is Adeline taken at the beginning of Chapter 11? What is she told while there?
9. Why is Madame La Motte saddened at the beginning of Chapter 1?
10. What dreams does Adeline have in Chapter 7 after Theodore fails to show up for their arranged meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone of the novel. What is the tone of the novel? Is this tone commonly found in a novel of this genre? At what points in the novel does the tone change and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "The Romance of the Forest." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What is Adeline fearful of and why? Does she face her fears?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different archetypes present in "The Romance of the Forest." What archetypes are Adeline and Theodore? What archetype is the Marquis? What are some examples of archetypes relating to the plot?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)