|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adeline feel as she reads the manuscript for a second time in Chapter 9?
2. What happens when the La Mottes have traveled about three leagues from the city?
3. What is the weather like on the night strangers arrive at the abbey in Chapter 6?
4. Who is the author of The Romance of the Forest?
5. What does Adeline notice about Madame La Motte in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adeline react when she reads the manuscript in Chapter 9? What does Adeline think she hears and sees while she is reading the manuscript?
2. How does Adeline escape from the Marquis' home in Chapter 11? Who does she encounter after escaping?
3. What dreams does Adeline have in Chapter 7 after Theodore fails to show up for their arranged meeting?
4. When the Marquis returns to the abbey in Chapter 8, what does he declare and how does Adeline respond? Why does Madame La Motte encourage Adeline to be amiable to the Marquis?
5. With the Marquis expected for dinner, what does Adeline ask La Motte in Chapter 7, and how does he respond?
6. Why does Adeline emerge from the La Mottes' hiding place at the beginning of Chapter 5? Who does she meet when she does so?
7. What does Adeline tell the La Mottes happened to her when she was seven and twelve years old?
8. What worries do Adeline and Theodore have as they travel away from the Marquis in Chapter 12?
9. How does Adeline get along with the La Mottes after they settle in the abandoned abbey?
10. Where does La Motte send Peter in Chapter 2? Who does Peter have an argument with and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Radcliffe's inclusion of criminal elements in the novel "The Romance of the Forest." What are some examples of criminal activity in the novel? How do these examples affect the tone of the scene? Are these examples necessary?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of fate in the novel "The Romance of the Forest." What does 'fate' mean? What are some examples of fate in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "The Romance of the Forest." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What is Adeline fearful of and why? Does she face her fears?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)