|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Adeline prefer to do rather than visit with the Marquis at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Sit with Theodore.
(b) Play in the forest.
(c) Stay in her room.
2. What is the person who watches Adeline in the woods wearing?
(a) A suit.
(b) A soldier's uniform.
(c) A tattered housecoat.
(d) Hunting clothes.
3. How many days after her dream is Adeline locked in her room?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) A week.
4. In Chapter 1, what happens when La Motte goes to a house near the road?
(a) He witnesses a murder.
(b) He is given bread and wine.
(c) He happens upon an old friend.
(d) He is held prisoner there.
5. How does Adeline feel about the Marquis coming to dinner?
(a) She is cautiously anticipating his visit.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She dreads it.
(d) She is indifferent to his company.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of building does La Motte explore at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. Why does Adeline start to cry in Chapter 1?
3. What do Madame La Motte and her son argue about at breakfast?
4. When did Adeline's father send her away to live at a convent?
5. How does Adeline feel when Theodore does not arrive for their meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Madame La Motte saddened at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. Why does La Motte's group return to spend the night at the Abbey in Chapter 2?
3. What happens when La Motte goes to ask directions at a house outside of Paris?
4. What does Adeline tell the La Mottes happened to her when she was seven and twelve years old?
5. Where does Adeline discover a hidden room in Chapter 8? What does she find in the room?
6. What worries do Adeline and Theodore have as they travel away from the Marquis in Chapter 12?
7. What does Louis apologize to Adeline about in Chapter 5?
8. What danger does Peter tell Adeline about in Chapter 10?
9. While at the house on the heath, what does Adeline hear a voice tell her.
10. With the Marquis expected for dinner, what does Adeline ask La Motte in Chapter 7, and how does he respond?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)