|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Adeline when she was first sent to a convent to live?
(a) Six years old.
(b) Seven years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Twelve years old.
2. What city are the La Mottes leaving at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Adeline do as she walks in the woods after dinner?
(b) Follows a light.
(c) Counts the trees.
(d) Talks to herself.
4. Who interrupts Theodore and Adeline's conversation in Chapter 7?
(a) Mrs. La Motte.
(b) La Motte.
(c) The Marquis.
5. What does Louis try to get Adeline to give him in Chapter 8?
(a) A promise of affection stronger than friendship.
(b) A promise of marriage.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) Her ribbon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is rumored to have happened where La Motte and his group are staying?
2. What is Adeline doing in the woods in Chapter 5 when she notices someone watching her?
3. What is the only thing Adeline eats in Chapter 11?
4. What becomes a source of comfort to the La Mottes in Chapter 3?
5. What awakes Adeline in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Louis and Madame La Motte squabble over at breakfast in Chapter 5?
2. What does Louis try to get from Adeline before leaving to rejoin his regiment? How does she respond?
3. What worries do Adeline and Theodore have as they travel away from the Marquis in Chapter 12?
4. Why is Madame La Motte saddened at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. What danger does Peter tell Adeline about in Chapter 10?
6. How does Adeline get along with the La Mottes after they settle in the abandoned abbey?
7. How does Adeline escape from the Marquis' home in Chapter 11? Who does she encounter after escaping?
8. What dreams does Adeline have in Chapter 7 after Theodore fails to show up for their arranged meeting?
9. What does Peter find out about the abbey when he goes to town?
10. How does Adeline react when she reads the manuscript in Chapter 9? What does Adeline think she hears and sees while she is reading the manuscript?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)