|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Adeline's kidnapper testifies, what does the judge do?
(a) He has the Marquis arrested.
(b) He postpones the trial.
(c) He throws out the witness.
(d) He throws a fit.
2. In Chapter 14, where does the Marquis request to take a walk with La Motte?
(a) Outside the abbey.
(b) Near his villa.
(c) Near where Adeline is.
(d) In the woods.
3. Why did Louis go to visit Theodore in custody?
(a) To find out news of Louis' parents.
(b) To tell him to lie in court.
(c) To relay information from Adeline.
(d) To keep him company.
4. What does La Motte tell Adeline he has no power to do?
(a) Help her.
(b) Find his son.
(c) Save his wife.
(d) Change the marquis' mind.
5. What does the Marquis have done to Theodore in Chapter 13?
(a) He has him marched through the town square as a criminal.
(b) He has him hanged.
(c) He has Theodore taken into custody.
(d) He has him apologize.
6. What does the Marquis promise La Motte if he kills Adeline?
(b) His loyalty.
7. Who announces that Theodore has received a stay of execution?
(b) La Luc.
(c) La Motte.
(d) The Marquis.
8. Who is the letter given to the Marquin in Chapter 14 intended for?
(d) La Motte.
9. What position does the owner of the home Adeline awakes in in Chapter 16 hold?
10. Where does La Luc's doctor suggest he go to improve his health?
11. Who does Adeline stay with while in Paris in Chapter 23?
(a) Mrs. La Motte.
(d) M. Verneuil.
12. How does the Marquis react to the news that Theodore's condition is serious?
(a) The Marquis is happy.
(b) The Marquis grows angrier with Theodore.
(c) The Marquis is suspicious.
(d) The Marquis is indifferent.
13. Who gives the Marquis a letter in Chapter 14?
(c) A valet.
(d) La Motte.
14. What were d'Aunoy and two other men hired to do by the Marquis?
(a) Scam La Motte.
(b) Kill Henry Marquis de Montalt.
(c) Sell Adeline.
(d) Keep watch of Adeline as she grows up.
15. What connection does Theodore have to La Luc?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are father and son.
(c) They are old friends.
(d) They are brothers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Adeline and La Motte talk about when she visits him in Chapter 23?
2. What does La Luc think of the chevalier in Chapter 18?
3. What is La Motte's sentence at the conclusion of his trial?
4. What does Adeline hear as she is walking through the small town in Chapter 19?
5. Where does the La Luc family take a trip to in Chapter 17?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)