|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Adeline NOT dream about in Chapter 8?
(a) A woman in white.
(b) A man in a casket.
(c) Following a man in black.
(d) A man dying in the abbey.
2. Where does Adeline hide after escaping from the abbey?
(a) A cave.
(b) The forest.
(c) A small country inn.
(d) The carriage.
3. What city are the La Mottes leaving at the beginning of the novel?
4. What do the strangers outside the abbey break?
(a) A couple of windows.
(b) A few large trees.
(c) The gate.
(d) The La Motte's carriage.
5. What is the only thing Adeline eats in Chapter 11?
(a) A peach.
(b) A bowl of berries.
(c) A grape.
(d) An apple.
6. What item does Adeline find in one of the hidden rooms in Chapter 8?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A portrait of a mysterious woman.
(c) A prayer book.
(d) A sack of gold coins.
7. What does Theodore suggest he and Adeline do before he is taken away by the authorities?
(a) Run away.
(b) Make love.
(c) Exchange promise rings.
(d) Get married.
8. Where is Adeline taken after leaving the convent?
(a) To the house on the heath.
(b) To a cousin's estate.
(c) To a small cottage in the middle of nowhere.
(d) To her father's house.
9. What does Madame La Motte begin to do for Adeline in Chapter 3?
(a) Sing to her at night.
(b) Knit her a scarf.
(c) Read to her.
(d) Teach her things.
10. How does Madame La Motte encourage Adeline to treat the Marquis?
(a) With respect.
(c) With a cautious heart.
11. How does Adeline feel when she hears she will be taken from the convent?
12. When did Adeline's father send her away to live at a convent?
(a) When her mother died.
(b) When she began to act out.
(c) When there was room at the convent.
(d) When she expressed an interest in God.
13. How does Peter cause Adeline distress in Chapter 10?
(a) He calls her name.
(b) He threatens her.
(c) He laughs at her.
(d) He tries to kiss her.
14. What would Adeline prefer to do rather than visit with the Marquis at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) Sit with Theodore.
(c) Play in the forest.
(d) Stay in her room.
15. Who locks Adeline in her room at the inn in Chapter 12?
(a) A guard.
(b) The Marquis.
(c) La Motte.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adeline think she hears La Motte and the Marquis talking about in Chapter 8?
2. Where does the man who collects Adeline at the tomb take her?
3. What kind of building does La Motte explore at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. Who does the Marquis request to speak to privately in Chapter 9?
5. What does Theodore say he has an interest about in Adeline?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)