|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Theodore suggest he and Adeline do before he is taken away by the authorities?
(a) Exchange promise rings.
(b) Get married.
(c) Run away.
(d) Make love.
2. What kind of building does La Motte explore at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) A castle.
(b) A house.
(c) A barn.
(d) An abbey.
3. How old was Adeline when she was taken to a different convent to live?
(a) Thirteen years old.
(b) Nine years old.
(c) Fifteen years old.
(d) Twelve years old.
4. How does Adeline feel about the Marquis coming to dinner?
(a) She is cautiously anticipating his visit.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She is indifferent to his company.
(d) She dreads it.
5. How does Peter cause Adeline distress in Chapter 10?
(a) He tries to kiss her.
(b) He threatens her.
(c) He calls her name.
(d) He laughs at her.
6. What is the La Mottes' son's name?
7. What do the strangers outside the abbey break?
(a) The gate.
(b) A couple of windows.
(c) A few large trees.
(d) The La Motte's carriage.
8. What does Peter tell Adeline the Marquis intends to do no matter what?
(a) Marry Adeline.
(b) Kill Adeline's father.
(c) Get his abbey back.
(d) Kill Adeline.
9. Why is Adeline locked in her room in Chapter 4?
(a) She threatens to run away.
(b) There is a war going on outside.
(c) Her father leaves for Paris.
(d) An evil man has taken over their household.
10. Why is the La Mottes' son forced to leave his family in Chapter 6?
(a) His regimental leave is over.
(b) He is kidnapped by the Marquis.
(c) He has business matters in Paris.
(d) He has heard news from his fiancee in Calais.
11. What does Theodore worry about Adeline in Chapter 7?
(a) That she is too young to be cooped up in the abbey all day.
(b) That she is indifferent towards him.
(c) That she is in danger.
(d) That she is too thin.
12. Where does Adeline discover a hidden door in her room?
(a) Behind a large portrait.
(b) In the closet.
(c) Under a rug.
(d) Behind a tapestry.
13. What is the weather like on the night strangers arrive at the abbey in Chapter 6?
(a) Cold and windy.
(c) Very warm.
14. What does Adeline think she hears La Motte and the Marquis talking about in Chapter 8?
(a) A planned attack on the abbey.
(c) Her father.
(d) Mrs. La Motte's failing health.
15. Where does La Motte's party stop to spend the night after traveling all day?
(b) Mont- Saint- Michel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts Theodore and Adeline's conversation in Chapter 7?
2. When did Adeline's father send her away to live at a convent?
3. What does Adeline think she sees in her room while she is reading the manuscript in Chapter 9?
4. What happens to La Motte after about a month at the abbey?
5. What awakes Adeline in Chapter 8?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)