|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is present at breakfast in Chapter 9?
(c) The Marquis.
(d) Adeline's father.
2. What happens to Adeline when she sees the Marquis enter her room in Chapter 11?
(a) She begins to cry.
(b) She trips and falls.
(c) She laughs heartily.
(d) She faints.
3. What does Theodore ask Adeline not to do while he is recuperating from his wound?
(a) Pity him.
(b) Worry about him.
(c) Contact his family.
(d) Leave his side.
4. Where does La Motte's party stop to spend the night after traveling all day?
(b) Mont- Saint- Michel.
5. What does La Motte discover in the upstairs chambers of the abbey in Chapter 5?
(a) A person.
(b) A letter addressed to Adeline.
(c) A skeleton.
(d) A treasure chest of gold.
6. What is the only thing Adeline eats in Chapter 11?
(a) A bowl of berries.
(b) An apple.
(c) A peach.
(d) A grape.
7. How does Adeline feel about the Marquis coming to dinner?
(a) She dreads it.
(b) She is indifferent to his company.
(c) She is excited.
(d) She is cautiously anticipating his visit.
8. Where does Adeline hide after escaping from the abbey?
(a) A small country inn.
(b) The carriage.
(c) A cave.
(d) The forest.
9. What does Adeline notice about Madame La Motte in Chapter 6?
(a) She is not talking to Mr. La Motte anymore.
(b) She is treating Adeline more kindly.
(c) She is paler than before.
(d) She is taking long walks whenever she can get away.
10. What does Madame La Motte suspect is the reason for the change in her husband in Chapter 3?
(a) He is growing old.
(b) He is in love with another woman.
(c) He dislikes the abbey.
(d) He misses his hometown.
11. What does Adeline think she hears as she is reading the manuscript in Chapter 9?
(c) A voice calling to her.
12. How old was Adeline when she was taken to a different convent to live?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Twelve years old.
(c) Nine years old.
(d) Thirteen years old.
13. Who locks Adeline in her room at the inn in Chapter 12?
(a) La Motte.
(b) A guard.
(d) The Marquis.
14. How many days after her dream is Adeline locked in her room?
(a) Two days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) A week.
15. What does Theodore suggest he and Adeline do before he is taken away by the authorities?
(a) Exchange promise rings.
(b) Get married.
(c) Run away.
(d) Make love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Marquis request to speak to privately in Chapter 9?
2. What is the La Mottes' son's name?
3. Who is the leader of the strangers who enter the abbey in Chapter 6?
4. What does the Marquis declare when he returns to the abbey in Chapter 8?
5. What is the name of the La Mottes' servant?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)