|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Adeline think she hears La Motte and the Marquis talking about in Chapter 8?
(b) Mrs. La Motte's failing health.
(c) Her father.
(d) A planned attack on the abbey.
2. How old was Adeline when she was first sent to a convent to live?
(a) Twelve years old.
(b) Six years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Seven years old.
3. What does La Motte order his son never to speak to him about again?
(a) Mrs. La Motte's health.
(b) Adeline's past.
(c) The abbey.
(d) La Motte's behavior.
4. Where does Adeline go as soon as dinner is over in Chapter 9?
(a) Her room.
(b) To the sitting room.
(c) To the forest for a walk.
(d) To the hidden room.
5. What is the name of the man who had watched Adeline in the woods?
6. How does Adeline suggest the Marquis can earn her esteem?
(a) By releasing her from confinement.
(b) By making her feel safe.
(c) By providing her for.
(d) By making her laugh.
7. Who does the leader of the group of strangers have a private conversation with?
(a) La Motte.
(c) Mrs. La Motte.
8. Who goes out to check if there are soldiers in the abbey?
(a) No one.
(c) Mr. La Motte.
9. What awakes Adeline in Chapter 8?
(a) A succession of pebbles hitting her window.
(b) The sound of a dying rabbit in the forest.
(c) The Marquis knocking on La Motte's door.
(d) Mrs. La Motte weeping.
10. Where does La Motte's party stop to spend the night after traveling all day?
(d) Mont- Saint- Michel.
11. What does Adeline ask La Motte about in Chapter 7?
(a) Whether he thinks the Marquis held a man prisoner.
(b) About whether her father is after her.
(c) About why he is on the run.
(d) Whether he will continue to look after Adeline.
12. What does Theodore suggest he and Adeline do before he is taken away by the authorities?
(a) Run away.
(b) Exchange promise rings.
(c) Get married.
(d) Make love.
13. What item does Adeline find in one of the hidden rooms in Chapter 8?
(a) A dagger.
(b) A prayer book.
(c) A sack of gold coins.
(d) A portrait of a mysterious woman.
14. What is Adeline's father's name?
(a) Antoine de St. Pierre.
(b) Louis de St. Pierre.
(c) Frederick de St. Pierre.
(d) Joseph de St. Pierre.
15. After his first trip to town, what does La Motte's servant bring back supplies to fix?
(a) A lock for the door.
(b) The carriage wheel.
(c) La Motte's spectacles.
(d) A broken window.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Adeline when she sees the Marquis enter her room in Chapter 11?
2. What does Adeline think she hears as she is reading the manuscript in Chapter 9?
3. What do the La Mottes hear one evening outside the abbey in Chapter 6?
4. What does La Motte spy in the distance which he believes might indicate a place for his group to stay?
5. Where does the man who collects Adeline at the tomb take her?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)