Chapters 1 and 2
1. Who is the author of The Romance of the Forest?
(a) Mary Shelley.
(b) Jane Austen.
(c) Charlotte Bronte.
(d) Ann Radcliffe.
2. What city are the La Mottes leaving at the beginning of the novel?
3. Why are the La Mottes leaving the city in Chapter 1?
(a) To avoid a plague.
(b) They are moving closer to family.
(c) To open a country inn.
(d) They are having financial troubles.
4. Who is Madame La Motte unable to notify that she is leaving?
(a) Her neighbor.
(b) Her niece.
(c) Her best friend.
(d) Her son.
5. What is the name of the La Mottes' servant?
6. What happens when the La Mottes have traveled about three leagues from the city?
(a) The carriage wheel breaks.
(b) Their driver becomes unsure of the way.
(c) They are attacked by thieves.
(d) A storm gathers.
7. In Chapter 1, what happens when La Motte goes to a house near the road?
(a) He is held prisoner there.
(b) He is given bread and wine.
(c) He happens upon an old friend.
(d) He witnesses a murder.
This section contains 4,578 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)