Chapters 1 and 2
• La Motte and his wife leave Paris in secret. They are running from creditors.
• Outside of Paris, La Motte's driver becomes unsure of the way. La Motte goes to a nearby house to ask for directions.
• La Motte is taken prisoner inside the house for hours. He is granted freedom by promising to take a young woman named Adeline into his custody.
• La Motte and his group travel on to Monville. Adeline falls ill and they remain there for several days.
• La Motte's group enters the Forrest of Fontanville. They encounter an abbey in ruins.
• After the carriage wheel breaks, La Motte's group returns to the abbey. They discuss staying there permanently.
• Peter is sent to town to find food and find out about the abbey.
• Peter finds out the abbey belongs to a rich nobleman and it is rumored a man was formerly imprisoned there...
This section contains 1,559 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)