|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul win the money in the big race for?
2. What does Paul say when his Mother talks to him after the party?
3. What shows that Paul has a special power?
4. How does Paul die?
5. What does Mother have in common with Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
2. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
3. Why does Paul think he was able to predict all the horse winners?
4. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
5. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
6. How does the book end?
7. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
8. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
9. What does Oscar help Paul plan to do with his winnings from the races?
10. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of addictions were presented in this book, and which had the biggest effects on the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)