|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Paul win at the Lincoln races?
2. Why does someone try to send Paul on a trip after Mother's birthday?
3. What does an inanimate object whisper to Paul?
4. How does Mother contact someone while at the party?
5. Why is Paul so nervous about the race after his mother's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
2. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
3. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
4. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
5. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
6. How does Paul learn about what happens at the Derby?
7. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
8. What changes in Mother after she gets the birthday gift?
9. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
10. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)