|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul say ha has naturally?
2. What inanimate object whispers to Paul?
3. What is hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
4. How does Mother change at the end of the book?
5. How does Paul describe the changes in his life after his mother gets the money she wants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
2. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
3. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
4. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
5. What happens at the Derby?
6. What is symbolic in Paul's death?
7. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
8. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
9. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
10. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How did Mother treat her children, and what effect did this have on their behavior throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)