|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul die?
2. How much money does Mother hope to get on her birthday?
3. What makes Mother connect with Paul?
4. How does Mother feel after she gets her birthday money?
5. What does Mother have in common with Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
2. How is Malabar significant to the story?
3. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
4. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
5. What does Oscar help Paul plan to do with his winnings from the races?
6. How is Mother unlucky even after getting rich?
7. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
8. How does Paul learn about what happens at the Derby?
9. What ends up actually happening with Paul's winnings from the races?
10. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did money play in this short story, and do you agree with the message the author was trying to send through this inclusion of the theme of money?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)