|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother act the way she does during the big race?
2. What is hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
3. Where is the change in Paul most noticed on his horse?
4. Who does Mother ask about Paul's last words?
5. What does Mother get on her birthday each year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
2. What changes in Mother after she gets the birthday gift?
3. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
4. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
5. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
6. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
7. How is Mother unlucky even after getting rich?
8. What ends up actually happening with Paul's winnings from the races?
9. Why does Paul think he was able to predict all the horse winners?
10. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
How does Paul die, and what led to his death?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of addictions were presented in this book, and which had the biggest effects on the plot, and why?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)