|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul spend all his time thinking about after his mother's birthday?
2. Who puts money in the big race for Paul?
3. What is Eton?
4. Who does Paul explain his race picking secret to?
5. Why is Paul so nervous about the race after his mother's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
2. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
3. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
4. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
5. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
6. What happens at the Derby?
7. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
8. What does Mother get for her birthday?
9. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
10. How does the book end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Paul die, and what led to his death?
Essay Topic 2
What are your feelings about luck after reading this story, and how did the importance placed on luck by the main characters in this book change that ideal?
Essay Topic 3
How did Mother treat her children, and what effect did this have on their behavior throughout the book?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)