|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mother ask about when she contacts someone during the party?
2. What does Mother get on her birthday each year?
3. How much money did Paul win at the Lincoln races?
4. How does Paul die?
5. What big race is coming up after Mother's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul learn about what happens at the Derby?
2. How is Mother unlucky even after getting rich?
3. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
4. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
5. What does Mother show by the way she reacts to her birthday gift?
6. What happens at the Derby?
7. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
8. What is symbolic in Paul's death?
9. What does Mother get for her birthday?
10. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Where did irony occur in the winning race, and how did this affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)