|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inanimate object whispers to Paul?
2. What does Mother sense in Paul after her birthday?
3. Where is Paul told to take a trip to after Mother's birthday?
4. What habit did damage to Mother's family as a child?
5. How does Paul act during the big race?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the book end?
2. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
3. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
4. How is Mother unlucky even after getting rich?
5. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
6. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
7. How does Paul learn about what happens at the Derby?
8. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
9. What does Mother show by the way she reacts to her birthday gift?
10. What does Paul get as a result of his mother's birthday present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of addictions were presented in this book, and which had the biggest effects on the plot, and why?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)