|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Paul's expression after Mother's birthday described?
2. What kind of news does Mother receive when she contacts someone during the party?
3. Where does Mother go on her birthday?
4. Who takes care of the money Paul wins at the Lincoln races?
5. Where is Paul told to take a trip to after Mother's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
2. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
3. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
4. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
5. What does Mother show by the way she reacts to her birthday gift?
6. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
7. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
8. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
9. What happens at the Derby?
10. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where did irony occur in the winning race, and how did this affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What role did money play in this short story, and do you agree with the message the author was trying to send through this inclusion of the theme of money?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)