|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who puts money in the big race for Paul?
2. How are Paul's eyes described after the party?
3. When does Paul say he will go on his trip?
4. What whispers to Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. Who does Mother ask about when she contacts someone during the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
2. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
3. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
4. How is Mother unlucky even after getting rich?
5. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
6. Why does Paul think he was able to predict all the horse winners?
7. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
8. How does the book end?
9. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
10. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did money play in this short story, and do you agree with the message the author was trying to send through this inclusion of the theme of money?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe how Paul used the rocking horse, and what symbolism this had on the book.
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)