|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother get on her birthday each year?
2. What does Mother sense in Paul after her birthday?
3. Why does someone try to send Paul on a trip after Mother's birthday?
4. Who hires the person for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. Who tells Paul the good news about the big race?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
2. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
3. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
4. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
5. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
6. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
7. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
8. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
9. What does Paul get as a result of his mother's birthday present?
10. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are your feelings about luck after reading this story, and how did the importance placed on luck by the main characters in this book change that ideal?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe how Paul used the rocking horse, and what symbolism this had on the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Paul die, and what led to his death?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)