|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Mother get on her birthday?
2. How has Paul been picking race winners?
3. How does the house change after Mother gets her birthday money?
4. Who sends something to Mother every year on her birthday?
5. How does Mother contact someone while at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
2. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
3. How does Paul learn about what happens at the Derby?
4. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
5. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
6. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
7. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
8. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
9. Why does Paul think he was able to predict all the horse winners?
10. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this plot were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)