|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the house change after Mother gets her birthday money?
2. How does Mother change at the end of the book?
3. What does Mother get on her birthday each year?
4. Who does Paul explain his reasons for winning money to?
5. What is making the noise Mother hears when she gets home from the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oscar help Paul plan to do with his winnings from the races?
2. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
3. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
4. How is Malabar significant to the story?
5. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
6. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
7. How does Paul learn about what happens at the Derby?
8. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
9. What does Mother get for her birthday?
10. Why does Paul think he was able to predict all the horse winners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Mother treat her children, and what effect did this have on their behavior throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Please describe how Paul used the rocking horse, and what symbolism this had on the book.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)