|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul say ha has naturally?
2. How does Mother respond when Paul asks her a question on her birthday?
3. What color is Paul wearing when he makes the pick for the final race?
4. How does the house change after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. How are Paul's eyes described after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
2. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
3. What happens at the Derby?
4. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
5. What changes in Mother after she gets the birthday gift?
6. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
7. What does Paul get as a result of his mother's birthday present?
8. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
9. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
10. How is Malabar significant to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the main moral of this story? Please support your answer with specific citations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)