|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paul play on his horse so much?
2. Who does Mother contact while at the party?
3. How does Paul act during the big race?
4. What is Malabar?
5. How does the house change after Mother gets her birthday money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the book end?
2. What ends up actually happening with Paul's winnings from the races?
3. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
4. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
5. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
6. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
7. What does Oscar help Paul plan to do with his winnings from the races?
8. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
9. What happens at the Derby?
10. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does Paul die, and what led to his death?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)