|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What habit did damage to Mother's family as a child?
2. How does Paul satisfy what whispers to him after Mother gets her birthday money?
3. Why does Paul refuse his trip after his Mother's birthday?
4. How does Mother feel while at a party?
5. What time of day does Paul die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
2. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
3. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
4. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
5. How is Mother unlucky even after getting rich?
6. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
7. What does Paul get as a result of his mother's birthday present?
8. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
9. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
10. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What role did money play in this short story, and do you agree with the message the author was trying to send through this inclusion of the theme of money?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)