|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul die?
2. Who wakes up Paul after the race?
3. Who arranges for something to be sent to mother on her birthday every year?
4. What does the author say Paul's eyes blaze with at the end of the book?
5. How do people know which horse to bet on at the big race?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul get as a result of his mother's birthday present?
2. What does Mother show by the way she reacts to her birthday gift?
3. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
4. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
5. How does Paul learn about what happens at the Derby?
6. Why does Paul think he was able to predict all the horse winners?
7. What changes in Mother after she gets the birthday gift?
8. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
9. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
10. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this plot were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of addictions were presented in this book, and which had the biggest effects on the plot, and why?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)