|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arranges for something to be sent to mother on her birthday every year?
2. What keeps Mother at the party after she wants to leave?
3. Who takes care of the money Paul wins at the Lincoln races?
4. Who does Paul explain his race picking secret to?
5. Whose permission does Mother need to get the money she wants on her birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oscar help Paul plan to do with his winnings from the races?
2. How does the book end?
3. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
4. What ends up actually happening with Paul's winnings from the races?
5. How is Mother unlucky even after getting rich?
6. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
7. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
8. What does Mother get for her birthday?
9. What happens at the Derby?
10. How is Malabar significant to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe how Paul used the rocking horse, and what symbolism this had on the book.
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does Paul die, and what led to his death?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)