|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Mother at the party after she wants to leave?
2. What does Paul ask his mother on her birthday?
3. What does Mother get on her birthday each year?
4. What is hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. Who tries to send Paul on a trip after Mother's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
2. What ends up actually happening with Paul's winnings from the races?
3. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
4. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
5. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
6. What is symbolic in Paul's death?
7. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
8. What happens at the Derby?
9. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
10. What changes in Mother after she gets the birthday gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where did irony occur in the winning race, and how did this affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)