|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Paul been picking race winners?
2. Why is Paul winning money?
3. What does the author say Paul's eyes blaze with at the end of the book?
4. Why is someone hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. How much money does Mother get on her birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Oscar help Paul plan to do with his winnings from the races?
2. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
3. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
4. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
5. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
6. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
7. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
8. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
9. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
10. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are your feelings about luck after reading this story, and how did the importance placed on luck by the main characters in this book change that ideal?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of addictions were presented in this book, and which had the biggest effects on the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)