|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mother contact someone while at the party?
2. Where is the change in Paul most noticed on his horse?
3. What does the author say Paul's eyes blaze with at the end of the book?
4. Why is Paul winning money?
5. How does Mother act during the big race?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
2. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
3. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
4. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
5. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
6. What happens at the Derby?
7. How does Paul learn about what happens at the Derby?
8. Why does Paul think he was able to predict all the horse winners?
9. What does Mother get for her birthday?
10. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Where did irony occur in the winning race, and how did this affect the tone of the book?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)