|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of the money Paul wins at the Lincoln races?
2. What does Paul do during the big race?
3. When did Mother last have the luxury she got for herself in the winter?
4. Why does Mother act the way she does during the big race?
5. Why is Paul winning money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the Derby?
2. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
3. How does the book end?
4. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
5. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
6. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
7. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
8. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
9. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
10. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this plot were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe how Paul used the rocking horse, and what symbolism this had on the book.
Essay Topic 3
Where do you think Paul got his ability to predict races? Please support your ideas with excerpts from the text.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)