|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan do when Paul tells his uncle what she taught him?
2. What is Paul's favorite toy made of?
3. What is Barrett's job?
4. Why is it hard for Mother to keep up the appearance she wants after her marriage?
5. Who put Paul's family in debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother consider her biggest mistake?
2. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
3. Why is Mother's poverty so frustrating to her?
4. How do Paul's sisters feel when they watch him play with his favorite toy?
5. What does the house say to the children?
6. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
7. Why does Uncle Oscar choose to talk to Barrett?
8. Why does Oscar take Paul to the horse races?
9. What is Oscar addicted to?
10. Why does Mother say she is so poor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where do you think Paul got his ability to predict races? Please support your ideas with excerpts from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)