|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Paul's eyes when he plays with his favorite toy?
2. Who hates to watch Paul when he plays with his toy?
3. Where is the first place Paul's uncle takes him?
4. What never seems to be enough for Mother?
5. Why did someone put Paul's family in debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
2. Why is Barrett so hesitant to talk to Oscar?
3. What changes Oscar's idea about Paul while at the races?
4. What is Paul's main motivation in life?
5. How does Paul play with his favorite toy?
6. Why does Uncle Oscar choose to talk to Barrett?
7. Why is Mother's poverty so frustrating to her?
8. Who is Barrett?
9. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
10. How does Oscar feel when he sees Paul playing with his favorite toy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where do you think Paul got his ability to predict races? Please support your ideas with excerpts from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Where did irony occur in the winning race, and how did this affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)