|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impresses Paul's uncle about Paul?
2. What is Mother trying to do when she tells Paul he has something she needs?
3. How does Barrett know what to bet on?
4. Where is the first place Paul's uncle takes him?
5. What happened to Mother after she got married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joan tell Oscar about Paul?
2. When does Barrett make his biggest bets?
3. Who is Barrett?
4. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
5. What is Oscar addicted to?
6. What does the house say to the children?
7. Why does Mother say she is so poor?
8. Why is it strange for Mother to have hired servants?
9. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
10. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the examples of personification in the book, and how did they change the progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Where did irony occur in the winning race, and how did this affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)