|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who whispers that they need more?
2. What does Mother love to buy for her children?
3. What is Ascot?
4. What do Paul and Barrett often talk about?
5. How is Paul described as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Barrett make his biggest bets?
2. What does Mother do to try and make her children happy?
3. Why does Mother say she is so poor?
4. What does the house say to the children?
5. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
6. What does Paul tell Oscar about Barrett?
7. How does Paul play with his favorite toy?
8. What changes Oscar's idea about Paul while at the races?
9. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
10. How does Mother feel about her children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Where did irony occur in the winning race, and how did this affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Where do you think Paul got his ability to predict races? Please support your ideas with excerpts from the text.
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)