|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Barrett think Paul got his talent?
2. What does Joan do when Paul tells his uncle what she taught him?
3. Who does Mother say gave Paul what she needs from him?
4. Who does Mother blame for her lack of success in life?
5. What is Ascot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
2. What does Mother do to try and make her children happy?
3. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
4. How does Paul play with his favorite toy?
5. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
6. What is Paul's main motivation in life?
7. Why is Barrett so hesitant to talk to Oscar?
8. How do Paul's sisters feel when they watch him play with his favorite toy?
9. What does Joan tell Oscar about Paul?
10. What is strange about Paul's first bet at the horse races?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the main moral of this story? Please support your answer with specific citations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of addictions were presented in this book, and which had the biggest effects on the plot, and why?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)