|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother say she is not successful?
2. Who does Mother like to lord over?
3. What branch of military was Barrett involved in?
4. How does Barrett describe Paul's talent?
5. Where is Paul when he invites his uncle to do something?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle Oscar choose to talk to Barrett?
2. Why does Oscar take Paul to the horse races?
3. What does Mother consider her biggest mistake?
4. What changes Oscar's idea about Paul while at the races?
5. Who is Barrett?
6. What does Paul invite Oscar to do while at the races?
7. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
8. When does Barrett make his biggest bets?
9. Why is Mother's poverty so frustrating to her?
10. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this plot were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of addictions were presented in this book, and which had the biggest effects on the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the main moral of this story? Please support your answer with specific citations from the text.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)