|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul hope to win his mother's love from?
2. What disintegrates shortly after Mother gets married?
3. What is Paul's uncle a fanatic about?
4. What does Paul think he has found through the betting?
5. What does Mother say was her biggest mistake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
2. How does Paul play with his favorite toy?
3. Why does Paul think he was able to predict all the horse winners?
4. How does the book end?
5. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
6. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
7. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
8. Who is Mother's most important servant, and why?
9. What does Joan tell Oscar about Paul?
10. Why is it strange for Mother to have hired servants?
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the examples of personification in the book, and how did they change the progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Please describe how Paul used the rocking horse, and what symbolism this had on the book.
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)