|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impresses Paul's uncle about Paul?
2. What does Mother try to keep the appearance of after her marriage?
3. Why is it hard for Mother to keep up the appearance she wants after her marriage?
4. What does Paul's uncle call him when he sees Paul with his favorite toy?
5. How does Paul use his favorite toy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
2. Who is Barrett?
3. What is strange about Paul's first bet at the horse races?
4. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
5. What changes in Mother after she gets the birthday gift?
6. Why does Oscar take Paul to the horse races?
7. Why does Uncle Oscar choose to talk to Barrett?
8. How does Paul play with his favorite toy?
9. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
10. What does the house say to the children?
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Mother will change after the death of Paul?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)