|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Paul's uncle and Barrett meet?
2. What does Paul invite his uncle to do?
3. Who does Mother say gave Paul what she needs from him?
4. Who does Mother fool with what she showers her children with?
5. Why does Mother say she is not successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paul's main motivation in life?
2. What does Paul tell Oscar about Barrett?
3. Why is it strange for Mother to have hired servants?
4. What does Mother do to try and make her children happy?
5. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
6. How does Oscar feel when he sees Paul playing with his favorite toy?
7. How do Paul's sisters feel when they watch him play with his favorite toy?
8. When does Barrett make his biggest bets?
9. What is Oscar addicted to?
10. Why does Mother say she is so poor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are your feelings about luck after reading this story, and how did the importance placed on luck by the main characters in this book change that ideal?
Essay Topic 2
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What changes occur in the relationship between Paul and his mother, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)