|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Mother after she got married?
2. How does Paul hope to win his mother's love?
3. Why did Mother get married?
4. Who is with Paul's uncle when he first sees Paul on his favorite toy?
5. How does Barrett describe Paul's talent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
2. Why is Mother's poverty so frustrating to her?
3. What does Paul tell Oscar about Barrett?
4. Why is it strange for Mother to have hired servants?
5. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
6. What does Mother do to try and make her children happy?
7. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
8. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
9. What does the house say to the children?
10. What is Paul's main motivation in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where did irony occur in the winning race, and how did this affect the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this plot were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How does Paul die, and what led to his death?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)