|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did someone put Paul's family in debt?
2. Who does Barrett talk to about Paul's talents?
3. How is Paul described as a child?
4. How does Barrett describe Paul's talent?
5. What secret do the children all know about Mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
2. How does the book end?
3. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
4. How does Mr. Barrett make a lot of his money?
5. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
6. What does Mother show by the way she reacts to her birthday gift?
7. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
8. Who is Mother's most important servant, and why?
9. What changes Oscar's idea about Paul while at the races?
10. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role did money play in this short story, and do you agree with the message the author was trying to send through this inclusion of the theme of money?
Essay Topic 3
What are your feelings about luck after reading this story, and how did the importance placed on luck by the main characters in this book change that ideal?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)