|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother try to keep the appearance of after her marriage?
2. What military branch was Paul's uncle involved in?
3. Why does Mother say she is not successful?
4. What does Paul invite his uncle to do?
5. What happens to Paul's eyes when he plays with his favorite toy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
2. How do Paul's sisters feel when they watch him play with his favorite toy?
3. Why is it strange for Mother to have hired servants?
4. How does Mother feel about her children?
5. When does Barrett make his biggest bets?
6. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
7. What does Mother do to try and make her children happy?
8. How does Mr. Barrett make a lot of his money?
9. What changes Oscar's idea about Paul while at the races?
10. Why is Barrett so hesitant to talk to Oscar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Mother treat her children, and what effect did this have on their behavior throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)