|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mother described at the beginning of the book?
2. How does Paul use his favorite toy?
3. Where is Paul when he invites his uncle to do something?
4. What does Paul think he has found through the betting?
5. Who whispers that they need more?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
2. Why is it strange for Mother to have hired servants?
3. What does Paul tell Oscar about Barrett?
4. What is Oscar addicted to?
5. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
6. Why is Mother's poverty so frustrating to her?
7. What changes Oscar's idea about Paul while at the races?
8. Who is Barrett?
9. Why does Uncle Oscar choose to talk to Barrett?
10. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the main moral of this story? Please support your answer with specific citations from the text.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)