|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Paul and Barrett often talk about?
2. What happens to Paul's eyes when he plays with his favorite toy?
3. What does Joan teach Paul all about?
4. What disintegrates shortly after Mother gets married?
5. What is Paul's uncle's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
2. Who is Mother's most important servant, and why?
3. Why is Barrett so hesitant to talk to Oscar?
4. Why is it strange for Mother to have hired servants?
5. Why does Oscar take Paul to the horse races?
6. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
7. What does Mother do to try and make her children happy?
8. How does Mr. Barrett make a lot of his money?
9. What does Mother consider her biggest mistake?
10. What is strange about Paul's first bet at the horse races?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
How did Mother treat her children, and what effect did this have on their behavior throughout the book?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)