|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paul's uncle's name?
2. What does Paul hope to win his mother's love from?
3. How is Mother described at the beginning of the book?
4. Who does Mother like to lord over?
5. Who does Paul ask a question of that nobody else has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends up actually happening with Paul's winnings from the races?
2. How does Paul play with his favorite toy?
3. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
4. Why is it strange for Mother to have hired servants?
5. What is Oscar addicted to?
6. What does Mother consider her biggest mistake?
7. What does Paul get as a result of his mother's birthday present?
8. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
9. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
10. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes occur in the relationship between Paul and his mother, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)