|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mother raised?
2. How many children does mother have?
3. Who does Mother blame in private for being so poor?
4. What does Paul's uncle call him when he sees Paul with his favorite toy?
5. How does the author describe Mother's taste in things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the house say to the children?
2. What does Mother consider her biggest mistake?
3. What is Oscar addicted to?
4. How does Mother feel about her children?
5. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
6. What is strange about Paul's first bet at the horse races?
7. What does Mother do to try and make her children happy?
8. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
9. How does Mr. Barrett make a lot of his money?
10. How does Oscar feel when he sees Paul playing with his favorite toy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Paul die, and what led to his death?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
How did Mother treat her children, and what effect did this have on their behavior throughout the book?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)