|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Barrett tell Paul's uncle to talk to Paul about?
2. How are Joan and Paul related?
3. What is strange about what Paul makes his first bet on with his Uncle?
4. Who does Mother blame in private for being so poor?
5. Who whispers that they need more?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
2. How do Paul's sisters feel when they watch him play with his favorite toy?
3. Why does Mother say she is so poor?
4. What is Paul's main motivation in life?
5. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
6. How is Paul different from his siblings?
7. What changes Oscar's idea about Paul while at the races?
8. Why is Barrett so hesitant to talk to Oscar?
9. What does Paul invite Oscar to do while at the races?
10. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Mother will change after the death of Paul?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What changes occur in the relationship between Paul and his mother, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)