|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What place does Paul's first bet take?
2. How does Paul describe his relationship with Barrett?
3. Who is Mother's most important servant?
4. Why is it hard for Mother to keep up the appearance she wants after her marriage?
5. What does Paul hope to win his mother's love from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Oscar addicted to?
2. Why is Barrett so hesitant to talk to Oscar?
3. What does Paul tell Oscar about Barrett?
4. What does Paul invite Oscar to do while at the races?
5. Who is Mother's most important servant, and why?
6. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
7. What does Mother consider her biggest mistake?
8. What is Paul's main motivation in life?
9. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
10. How does Paul play with his favorite toy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Jean was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, though brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)