|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Paul when he invites his uncle to do something?
2. Who hears someone whispering they need more?
3. Why does Mother say she is not successful?
4. Why does Mother tell her children they are poor?
5. How does Paul use his favorite toy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother consider her biggest mistake?
2. How does Oscar feel when he sees Paul playing with his favorite toy?
3. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
4. What is Paul's main motivation in life?
5. Who is Mother's most important servant, and why?
6. Who is Barrett?
7. Why is it strange for Mother to have hired servants?
8. How does Mr. Barrett make a lot of his money?
9. What is strange about Paul's first bet at the horse races?
10. How does Paul play with his favorite toy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes occur in the relationship between Paul and his mother, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What role did money play in this short story, and do you agree with the message the author was trying to send through this inclusion of the theme of money?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)