|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe Mother's taste in things?
2. What does Paul's uncle call him when he sees Paul with his favorite toy?
3. How is Paul described as a child?
4. Where is Paul when he invites his uncle to do something?
5. What question does Paul ask that nobody else has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
2. Why is it strange for Mother to have hired servants?
3. Who is Mother's most important servant, and why?
4. What is Paul's main motivation in life?
5. What does the house say to the children?
6. Who is Barrett?
7. How does Mr. Barrett make a lot of his money?
8. What does Paul invite Oscar to do while at the races?
9. How does Mother feel about her children?
10. What does Paul tell Oscar about Barrett?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did money play in this short story, and do you agree with the message the author was trying to send through this inclusion of the theme of money?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Please describe how Paul used the rocking horse, and what symbolism this had on the book.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)