|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who put Paul's family in debt?
2. Why doesn't Barrett answer all of Paul's uncle's questions about Paul?
3. Where does Barrett think Paul got his talent?
4. Who does Mother blame in private for being so poor?
5. Who does Mother say gave Paul what she needs from him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul invite Oscar to do while at the races?
2. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
3. What does Joan tell Oscar about Paul?
4. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
5. How is Paul different from his siblings?
6. What is strange about Paul's first bet at the horse races?
7. What does the house say to the children?
8. How does Oscar feel when he sees Paul playing with his favorite toy?
9. How does Mother feel about her children?
10. Why does Mother say she is so poor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)