|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mother blame for her lack of success in life?
2. Who is Mother's most important servant?
3. What bothers Joan about what Paul and Barrett talk about?
4. How many children does mother have?
5. Who does Paul ask a question of that nobody else has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paul's main motivation in life?
2. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
3. What does Mother consider her biggest mistake?
4. What is strange about Paul's first bet at the horse races?
5. How does Oscar feel when he sees Paul playing with his favorite toy?
6. How do Paul's sisters feel when they watch him play with his favorite toy?
7. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
8. Why does Oscar take Paul to the horse races?
9. Why does Mother say she is so poor?
10. Why is Barrett so hesitant to talk to Oscar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are your feelings about luck after reading this story, and how did the importance placed on luck by the main characters in this book change that ideal?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What role did money play in this short story, and do you agree with the message the author was trying to send through this inclusion of the theme of money?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)