|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother say one needs to be successful in life?
2. Who tells Paul's uncle about what he and Barrett talk about?
3. What does Paul think he has found through the betting?
4. How does the author describe Mother's taste in things?
5. Why does Mother tell her children they are poor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes in Mother after she gets the birthday gift?
2. How does Paul play with his favorite toy?
3. How is Malabar significant to the story?
4. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
5. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
6. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
7. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
8. What changes Oscar's idea about Paul while at the races?
9. Why does Mother say she is so poor?
10. What does Paul invite Oscar to do while at the races?
Essay Topic 1
What changes occur in the relationship between Paul and his mother, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)