|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Joan and Paul related?
2. Who does Mother like to lord over?
3. Who tells Paul's uncle about what he and Barrett talk about?
4. What does Mother have a hard time giving her children?
5. What does Paul's uncle do when Paul makes his first bet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
2. Why does Uncle Oscar choose to talk to Barrett?
3. What does Mother consider her biggest mistake?
4. Why is Barrett so hesitant to talk to Oscar?
5. When does Barrett make his biggest bets?
6. Who is Barrett?
7. What is Oscar addicted to?
8. How does Oscar feel when he sees Paul playing with his favorite toy?
9. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
10. What is strange about Paul's first bet at the horse races?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Please describe how Paul used the rocking horse, and what symbolism this had on the book.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What changes occur in the relationship between Paul and his mother, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)