|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Paul win at the Lincoln races?
(a) 1,000 pounds.
(b) 2,000 pounds.
(c) 5,000 pounds.
(d) 4,000 pounds.
2. What does an inanimate object whisper to Paul?
(a) It is lonely.
(b) It is dying.
(c) It needs money.
(d) It is sick.
3. Who takes care of the money Paul wins at the Lincoln races?
4. What does Mother sense in Paul after her birthday?
(a) There is something wrong.
(b) She has made a mistake.
(c) He is getting stronger.
(d) He will make all her dreams come true.
5. What is Eton?
(a) A bar.
(b) A race track.
(c) A horse.
(d) A school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mother act during the big race?
2. How are Paul's eyes described after the party?
3. What answer does Mother get about Paul's last words?
4. What does Paul do after saying something to his mother after the party?
5. Why does Mother want to leave the party early?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Malabar significant to the story?
2. How is Mother unlucky even after getting rich?
3. What does Mother show by the way she reacts to her birthday gift?
4. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
5. How does the book end?
6. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
7. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
8. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
9. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
10. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)