|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) A cook.
(b) A guardian.
(c) A tutor.
(d) A tailor.
2. Why does Mother want to leave the party early?
(a) She wants to throw her own party.
(b) She feels out of place.
(c) She feels guilty for not bringing her husband.
(d) She thinks something bad will happen to Paul.
3. Who does Paul explain his race picking secret to?
(a) His nanny.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His mother.
(d) His friend.
4. What does Paul ask his mother on her birthday?
(a) If she feels lucky.
(b) If she is happy.
(c) If she got a present.
(d) If she loves him.
5. Who is Paul winning money for?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His siblings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mother describe her monetary situation after getting the birthday money?
2. What kind of news does Mother receive when she contacts someone during the party?
3. What is Paul's face full of after the party?
4. How does Mother respond when Paul asks her a question on her birthday?
5. How much money does Mother hope to get on her birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
2. What ends up actually happening with Paul's winnings from the races?
3. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
4. What changes in Mother after she gets the birthday gift?
5. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
6. What happens at the Derby?
7. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
8. How is Malabar significant to the story?
9. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
10. What does Mother get for her birthday?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)