|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mother thinking about while she is at a party?
(d) Her father.
2. Why does Mother act the way she does during the big race?
(a) She is excited for the winnings.
(b) Paul asked her to be that way.
(c) It is her defense mechanism.
(d) She is worried about Paul.
3. What does Mother do as soon as she gets home from the party?
(a) Checks on Paul.
(b) Has some dinner.
(c) Goes to bed.
(d) Takes a bath.
4. Who takes care of the money Paul wins at the Lincoln races?
5. What does Mother hear when she gets from from the party?
(a) A creaking.
(b) A snoring.
(c) A mumbling.
(d) A scratching.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is someone hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
2. What answer does Mother get about Paul's last words?
3. What habit did damage to Mother's family as a child?
4. What does Paul ask his mother on her birthday?
5. Why does Paul refuse his trip after his Mother's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
2. How is Malabar significant to the story?
3. What is symbolic in Paul's death?
4. What happens at the Derby?
5. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
6. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
7. What does Paul get as a result of his mother's birthday present?
8. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
9. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
10. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)