|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does an inanimate object whisper to Paul?
(a) It is sick.
(b) It is dying.
(c) It needs money.
(d) It is lonely.
2. What can't Mother recognize after getting home from the party?
(a) The look in Paul's eyes.
(b) The feeling in her heart.
(c) The source of the noise.
(d) The smell coming from Paul.
3. What whispers to Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) The windows.
(b) The house.
(c) The horse.
(d) The books.
4. When did Mother last have the luxury she got for herself in the winter?
(a) She never had it.
(b) When she was at school.
(c) When she was first married.
(d) When she was a child.
5. What is hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) A cook.
(b) A guardian.
(c) A tutor.
(d) A tailor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul do after saying something to his mother after the party?
2. How much money does Mother get on her birthday?
3. Who is the money from the Lincoln races given to?
4. What kind of news does Mother receive when she contacts someone during the party?
5. What habit did damage to Mother's family as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
2. What is symbolic in Paul's death?
3. What ends up actually happening with Paul's winnings from the races?
4. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
5. What does Mother show by the way she reacts to her birthday gift?
6. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
7. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
8. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
9. How does the book end?
10. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)