|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does someone try to send Paul on a trip after Mother's birthday?
(a) He is annoying to have around.
(b) He gave them the money.
(c) He will do better with his studies.
(d) He is acting strange.
2. What does Mother do as soon as she gets home from the party?
(a) Takes a bath.
(b) Checks on Paul.
(c) Goes to bed.
(d) Has some dinner.
3. What does Paul say when his Mother talks to him after the party?
(a) I have been waiting.
(b) It is over.
(c) There is none.
(d) It's Malabar.
4. How much money does Mother hope to get on her birthday?
(a) $5,000 pounds.
(b) $7,000 pounds.
(c) $8,000 pounds.
(d) $6,000 pounds.
5. Where is Paul told to take a trip to after Mother's birthday?
(a) The school.
(b) The seaside.
(c) The races.
(d) The farm land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can't Mother recognize after getting home from the party?
2. How do people know which horse to bet on at the big race?
3. What does Mother sense in Paul after her birthday?
4. How does Paul describe the changes in his life after his mother gets the money she wants?
5. Who does Paul win the money in the big race for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
2. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
3. Why does Paul think he was able to predict all the horse winners?
4. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
5. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
6. What does Mother show by the way she reacts to her birthday gift?
7. What does Oscar help Paul plan to do with his winnings from the races?
8. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
9. What is symbolic in Paul's death?
10. How does Paul learn about what happens at the Derby?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)