|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What whispers to Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) The house.
(b) The books.
(c) The horse.
(d) The windows.
2. Why is Paul so nervous about the race after his mother's birthday?
(a) He gave up all his money.
(b) He cannot pick a winner.
(c) The house is tormenting him.
(d) He wants to quit betting.
3. Whose permission does Mother need to get the money she wants on her birthday?
(d) The Lawyer's.
4. What makes Mother connect with Paul?
(a) His money.
(b) His abilities.
(c) His madness.
(d) His weakness.
5. What can't Mother recognize after getting home from the party?
(a) The source of the noise.
(b) The feeling in her heart.
(c) The look in Paul's eyes.
(d) The smell coming from Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inanimate object whispers to Paul?
2. What does Paul ask his mother on her birthday?
3. What does the author say Paul's eyes blaze with at the end of the book?
4. Who hires the person for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. What time of day does Paul die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
2. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
3. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
4. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
5. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
6. How does the book end?
7. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
8. What happens at the Derby?
9. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
10. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)