|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mother ask about when she contacts someone during the party?
2. How does Paul satisfy what whispers to him after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) Getting into Oxford.
(b) Fighting his sister.
(c) Bringing in more money.
(d) Quitting his betting.
3. What kind of news does Mother receive when she contacts someone during the party?
(a) Sad news.
(b) Strange news.
(c) Scary news.
(d) Good news.
4. When does Paul say he will go on his trip?
(a) After the big race.
(b) After he graduates.
(c) After he signs up for the military.
5. Why does Mother want to leave the party early?
(a) She feels out of place.
(b) She thinks something bad will happen to Paul.
(c) She wants to throw her own party.
(d) She feels guilty for not bringing her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Father go to school?
2. Why doesn't Oscar want Mother to have the full amount of money she wants?
3. What does Mother sense in Paul after her birthday?
4. What does Paul bet on to make money?
5. How are Paul's eyes described after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul get as a result of his mother's birthday present?
2. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
3. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
4. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
5. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
6. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
7. How is Mother unlucky even after getting rich?
8. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
9. What does Mother show by the way she reacts to her birthday gift?
10. What keeps Mother at the party when she wants to leave?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)