|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul bet on to make money?
(c) All of these.
(d) Poker games.
2. Who does Paul win the money in the big race for?
(b) The house.
(c) His family.
3. How does Mother feel when Paul turns down the trip after her birthday?
4. What does Mother do as soon as she gets home from the party?
(a) Takes a bath.
(b) Checks on Paul.
(c) Has some dinner.
(d) Goes to bed.
5. How does Paul describe the changes in his life after his mother gets the money she wants?
(b) Not at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Paul been picking race winners?
2. What strange luxury does Mother buy in the winter?
3. What does Mother get on her birthday each year?
4. What whispers to Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. How does Paul die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
2. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
3. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
4. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
5. What does Mother show by the way she reacts to her birthday gift?
6. What happens after Paul tells Mother the winning name for the Derby?
7. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
8. What does Mother get for her birthday?
9. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
10. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)