|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people know which horse to bet on at the big race?
(a) It is written in the paper.
(b) She dreams about it.
(c) It was Paul's last word.
(d) It is inscribed on the horse.
2. What time of day does Paul die?
(a) As the sun sets.
(c) The early morning.
(d) Night time.
3. Why does Paul die happy?
(a) He accomplishes his goal.
(b) He made money.
(c) He is ready for school.
(d) His mother loves him.
4. Where does Mother go on her birthday?
(a) The lawyer's office.
(b) The horse races.
(c) The train station.
(d) The bank.
5. How much does Paul win in the big race?
(a) 80,000 pounds.
(b) 55,000 pounds.
(c) 5,500 pounds.
(d) 8,000 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul act during the big race?
2. Who does Mother ask about Paul's last words?
3. What color is Mother wearing at her party?
4. How does Paul satisfy what whispers to him after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. Why does Mother act the way she does during the big race?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother do with her birthday gift?
2. How is Malabar significant to the story?
3. What changes in Mother after she gets the birthday gift?
4. What does Mother say caused her family a lot of grief when she was younger?
5. What ends up actually happening with Paul's winnings from the races?
6. What causes Mother to become more connected to Paul?
7. What happens at the Derby?
8. What does Paul get as a result of his mother's birthday present?
9. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
10. What is symbolic in Paul's death?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)