|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who puts money in the big race for Paul?
(d) The nanny.
2. What does Mother sense in Paul after her birthday?
(a) There is something wrong.
(b) He will make all her dreams come true.
(c) She has made a mistake.
(d) He is getting stronger.
3. What does Paul say he has that lets him win money?
4. What does Paul ask his mother on her birthday?
(a) If she loves him.
(b) If she got a present.
(c) If she feels lucky.
(d) If she is happy.
5. What shows that Paul has a special power?
(a) The connetion with the horse.
(b) His strange vocabulary.
(c) The change in his eyes.
(d) His guessing the winners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is making the noise Mother hears when she gets home from the party?
2. What does Paul bet on to make money?
3. How do people know which horse to bet on at the big race?
4. Who hires the person for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. What color are Paul's eyes after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother sense during the party she goes to?
2. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
3. What does Oscar help Paul plan to do with his winnings from the races?
4. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
5. What happens at the Derby?
6. What changes in Mother after she gets the birthday gift?
7. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
8. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
9. Why does Paul think he was able to predict all the horse winners?
10. How does Paul respond when Mother tries to help him when she gets worried about him?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)