|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day does Paul die?
(a) The early morning.
(b) Night time.
(d) As the sun sets.
2. Who is Paul winning money for?
(a) His siblings.
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
3. How does Mother describe her monetary situation after getting the birthday money?
(b) Above poverty.
(d) Middle class.
4. What answer does Mother get about Paul's last words?
(a) It is a horse.
(b) He has been saying that for a while.
(c) It is her fault.
(d) That is a kind of prayer.
5. What does Mother have in common with Paul?
(a) She loves money.
(b) She loves gambling.
(c) She has a special gift.
(d) She want an education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul say he has that lets him win money?
2. What does the author say Paul's eyes blaze with at the end of the book?
3. What does Mother get on her birthday each year?
4. What can't Mother recognize after getting home from the party?
5. Who takes care of the money Paul wins at the Lincoln races?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Paul personally present at the Derby?
2. What happens at the Derby?
3. What does the house say to Paul after his mother gets her birthday present?
4. What does Mother do when she begins getting worried about Paul?
5. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
6. How is Malabar significant to the story?
7. What is symbolic in Paul's death?
8. How is Mother unlucky even after getting rich?
9. What does Oscar help Paul plan to do with his winnings from the races?
10. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)