|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Mother get on her birthday?
(a) $1,000 pounds.
(b) $2,000 pounds.
(c) $4,000 pounds.
(d) $3,000 pounds.
2. Who does Paul explain his race picking secret to?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His nanny.
(c) His mother.
(d) His friend.
3. What kind of news does Mother receive when she contacts someone during the party?
(a) Good news.
(b) Strange news.
(c) Sad news.
(d) Scary news.
4. What can't Mother recognize after getting home from the party?
(a) The source of the noise.
(b) The look in Paul's eyes.
(c) The feeling in her heart.
(d) The smell coming from Paul.
5. What does Paul say he has that lets him win money?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mother act during the big race?
2. What does Paul spend all his time thinking about after his mother's birthday?
3. What is Eton?
4. What strange luxury does Mother buy in the winter?
5. What color is Paul wearing when he makes the pick for the final race?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing Mother does when she comes home from her party?
2. What is symbolic about the clothing worn by Mother the night of her party?
3. What ends up actually happening with Paul's winnings from the races?
4. What is Paul hoping to hear from the house after his mother gets her birthday present?
5. What is symbolic in Paul's death?
6. What initially worries Mother about Paul?
7. How does the author describe Paul as he discovers the name of the winning Derby horse?
8. What happens at the Derby?
9. What does Mother do when she gets her birthday present?
10. How does Paul choose the winners of the horse races?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)