|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joan teach Paul all about?
(a) Human nature.
(d) Horse racing.
2. What happened to Mother after she got married?
(a) She was cheated on.
(b) She had bad luck.
(c) She lost her inheritance.
(d) She got very ill.
3. What happens to Paul's eyes when he plays with his favorite toy?
(a) They turn dark.
(b) They glaze over.
(c) They close.
(d) They brighten up.
4. How does Paul describe his relationship with Barrett?
(a) A frienship.
(b) A mentorship.
(c) A partnership.
(d) A family relationship.
5. What does Mother say was her biggest mistake?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Having children.
(c) Not going to school.
(d) Learning to sing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Paul's eyes?
2. Where does Barrett think Paul got his talent?
3. Who put Paul's family in debt?
4. What does Paul hope to win his mother's love from?
5. How does Paul use his favorite toy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Barrett make a lot of his money?
2. How is Paul different from his siblings?
3. Why is Barrett so hesitant to talk to Oscar?
4. What does Paul invite Oscar to do while at the races?
5. Why does Oscar take Paul to the horse races?
6. Why is Mother's poverty so frustrating to her?
7. What does the house say to the children?
8. Who is Mother's most important servant, and why?
9. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
10. What is strange about Paul's first bet at the horse races?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)