|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mother like to lord over?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Everyone in town.
(d) Her siblings.
2. How does Barrett safeguard unsure bets?
(a) He only bets borrowed money.
(b) He makes more than one bet when Paul isn't sure.
(c) He insures his money.
(d) He makes small bets when Paul isn't sure.
3. How is Mother described at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Mother have a hard time giving her children?
5. What is Barrett's job?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it hard for Mother to keep up the appearance she wants after her marriage?
2. How does Barrett know what to bet on?
3. What does Mother say Paul has that she needs?
4. What is Paul's uncle's name?
5. Where is Paul when he invites his uncle to do something?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle Oscar choose to talk to Barrett?
2. What does Mother do to try and make her children happy?
3. What does Paul invite Oscar to do while at the races?
4. What does Joan tell Oscar about Paul?
5. Who is Mother's most important servant, and why?
6. How does Oscar feel when he sees Paul playing with his favorite toy?
7. Who is Barrett?
8. What is Oscar addicted to?
9. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
10. When does Barrett make his biggest bets?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)