|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother say one needs to be successful in life?
2. How is Mother described at the beginning of the book?
3. Where is Paul when he invites his uncle to do something?
(a) A cab.
(b) The races.
(c) The garden.
(d) His house.
4. What does Joan do when Paul tells his uncle what she taught him?
(a) Hits him.
(d) Runs away.
5. When does Barrett make big bets?
(a) When the weather is right.
(b) When he gets paid.
(c) When Oscar makes the same bet.
(d) When Paul is certain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What branch of military was Barrett involved in?
2. Who does Mother blame for her lack of success in life?
3. What impresses Paul's uncle about Paul?
4. What is Mother trying to do when she tells Paul he has something she needs?
5. Where is Paul's favorite toy kept?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
2. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
3. Who is Barrett?
4. What is Paul's main motivation in life?
5. When does Barrett make his biggest bets?
6. How does Paul play with his favorite toy?
7. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
8. Why is Mother's poverty so frustrating to her?
9. Why is Paul so interested in horse racing?
10. How does Mother feel about her children?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)