|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the only time Barrett has lost on his bets?
(a) When he doesn't sleep well.
(b) When the weather is bad.
(c) When Paul is not certain.
(d) When he doesn't go to church.
2. What happens to Paul's eyes when he plays with his favorite toy?
(a) They glaze over.
(b) They brighten up.
(c) They close.
(d) They turn dark.
3. What impresses Paul's uncle about Paul?
(a) His height.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) His endurance.
(d) His intensity.
4. Who is with Paul's uncle when he first sees Paul on his favorite toy?
(b) All of these.
5. Why does Mother tell her children they are poor?
(a) They were all born.
(b) She got sick.
(c) She spent the money.
(d) Their father is unlucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Barrett think Paul got his talent?
2. What does Mother try to keep the appearance of after her marriage?
3. What is strange about what Paul makes his first bet on with his Uncle?
4. Where is Paul when he invites his uncle to do something?
5. How is Mother described at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Paul's sisters feel when they watch him play with his favorite toy?
2. How does Barrett stay safe while betting?
3. How does Mother feel about her children?
4. Why does Oscar take Paul to the horse races?
5. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
6. What changes Oscar's idea about Paul while at the races?
7. What does Mother do to try and make her children happy?
8. What does Joan tell Oscar about Paul?
9. What does Paul invite Oscar to do while at the races?
10. When does Barrett make his biggest bets?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)