|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does mother have?
2. When is the only time Barrett has lost on his bets?
(a) When he doesn't sleep well.
(b) When he doesn't go to church.
(c) When the weather is bad.
(d) When Paul is not certain.
3. What does Mother say was her biggest mistake?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Having children.
(c) Not going to school.
(d) Learning to sing.
4. What happened to Mother after she got married?
(a) She was cheated on.
(b) She had bad luck.
(c) She lost her inheritance.
(d) She got very ill.
5. How is Mother described at the beginning of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hears someone whispering they need more?
2. What does Paul tell his uncle he knows a lot about?
3. Who put Paul's family in debt?
4. How does the author describe Mother's taste in things?
5. Where is Paul when he invites his uncle to do something?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children all sense about their mother even with her attempts to hide it?
2. Why is Mother's poverty so frustrating to her?
3. What changes Oscar's idea about Paul while at the races?
4. How do Paul's sisters feel when they watch him play with his favorite toy?
5. Why does Mother say she is so poor?
6. Why does Uncle Oscar choose to talk to Barrett?
7. What favor has Barrett been doing for Paul?
8. When does Barrett make his biggest bets?
9. How does Oscar respond when he sees what Paul's first bet at the horse races is?
10. What is Oscar addicted to?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)