|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paul ask his mother on her birthday?
(a) If she got a present.
(b) If she feels lucky.
(c) If she loves him.
(d) If she is happy.
2. How does Paul act during the big race?
(a) He is unconscious.
(b) He is upset.
(c) He is nervous.
(d) He is calm.
3. How does Mother describe her monetary situation after getting the birthday money?
(b) Above poverty.
(d) Middle class.
4. What color is Paul wearing when he makes the pick for the final race?
5. Why is Paul so nervous about the race after his mother's birthday?
(a) He wants to quit betting.
(b) He gave up all his money.
(c) The house is tormenting him.
(d) He cannot pick a winner.
6. Who does Paul explain his race picking secret to?
(a) His friend.
(b) His nanny.
(c) His mother.
(d) His uncle.
7. How does Paul satisfy what whispers to him after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) Fighting his sister.
(b) Getting into Oxford.
(c) Quitting his betting.
(d) Bringing in more money.
8. Why does Paul play on his horse so much?
(a) It comforts him.
(b) It keeps other people away from him.
(c) It speaks kind words to him.
(d) It tells him the winners.
9. How is Paul's expression after Mother's birthday described?
(a) Glazed over.
10. What does an inanimate object whisper to Paul?
(a) It is lonely.
(b) It is sick.
(c) It is dying.
(d) It needs money.
11. What does Mother sense in Paul after her birthday?
(a) He will make all her dreams come true.
(b) She has made a mistake.
(c) There is something wrong.
(d) He is getting stronger.
12. How does Mother respond when Paul asks her a question on her birthday?
(a) She hugs him.
(b) She makes a phone call.
(c) She leaves the house.
(d) She slaps him.
13. What time of day does Paul die?
(a) The early morning.
(b) As the sun sets.
(d) Night time.
14. When does Paul say he will go on his trip?
(a) After he signs up for the military.
(b) After the big race.
(c) After he graduates.
15. What does Paul do during the big race?
(a) Talks to his mother.
(d) Rocks on his horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul say he has that lets him win money?
2. What is hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
3. How much money does Mother hope to get on her birthday?
4. Why is someone hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. How does the house change after Mother gets her birthday money?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)