|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does an inanimate object whisper to Paul?
(a) It is dying.
(b) It is sick.
(c) It needs money.
(d) It is lonely.
2. How much money does Mother hope to get on her birthday?
(a) $5,000 pounds.
(b) $6,000 pounds.
(c) $7,000 pounds.
(d) $8,000 pounds.
3. Where does Mother go on her birthday?
(a) The lawyer's office.
(b) The horse races.
(c) The bank.
(d) The train station.
4. Where is Paul told to take a trip to after Mother's birthday?
(a) The school.
(b) The farm land.
(c) The seaside.
(d) The races.
5. What is Malabar?
(a) A horse.
(b) A dog.
(c) A kind of wood.
(d) A servant.
6. Who arranges for something to be sent to mother on her birthday every year?
7. How does Paul die?
(a) From an illness.
(b) In his sleep.
(c) A spider bites him.
(d) He falls down the stairs.
8. How does Mother feel after she gets her birthday money?
(a) As if she deserved it.
(c) Slightly happier.
9. How does Mother respond when Paul asks her a question on her birthday?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) She hugs him.
(c) She makes a phone call.
(d) She leaves the house.
10. Who hires the person for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
11. What keeps Mother at the party after she wants to leave?
(a) Her date.
(b) Her manners.
(c) The drinking.
(d) The weather.
12. Whose permission does Mother need to get the money she wants on her birthday?
(d) The Lawyer's.
13. How is Paul's expression after Mother's birthday described?
(b) Glazed over.
14. What habit did damage to Mother's family as a child?
15. Why does Mother act the way she does during the big race?
(a) She is excited for the winnings.
(b) It is her defense mechanism.
(c) She is worried about Paul.
(d) Paul asked her to be that way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paul play on his horse so much?
2. What can't Mother recognize after getting home from the party?
3. Who is Mother thinking about while she is at a party?
4. How does the house change after Mother gets her birthday money?
5. What inanimate object whispers to Paul?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)