|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What whispers to Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) The windows.
(b) The books.
(c) The horse.
(d) The house.
2. How are Paul's eyes described after the party?
3. What is making the noise Mother hears when she gets home from the party?
(a) A mouse.
(b) The rocking horse.
(d) The trees outside.
4. Why doesn't Oscar want Mother to have the full amount of money she wants?
(a) It will do her harm.
(b) She will waste it.
(c) She will harm others.
(d) It will make her sad.
5. What shows that Paul has a special power?
(a) The change in his eyes.
(b) His guessing the winners.
(c) The connetion with the horse.
(d) His strange vocabulary.
6. What can't Mother recognize after getting home from the party?
(a) The smell coming from Paul.
(b) The feeling in her heart.
(c) The source of the noise.
(d) The look in Paul's eyes.
7. Where does Mother go on her birthday?
(a) The horse races.
(b) The bank.
(c) The lawyer's office.
(d) The train station.
8. What color are Paul's eyes after the party?
9. When does Paul say he will go on his trip?
(a) After the big race.
(b) After he graduates.
(c) After he signs up for the military.
10. Why does Mother want to leave the party early?
(a) She feels guilty for not bringing her husband.
(b) She feels out of place.
(c) She thinks something bad will happen to Paul.
(d) She wants to throw her own party.
11. What does Paul ask his mother on her birthday?
(a) If she got a present.
(b) If she is happy.
(c) If she feels lucky.
(d) If she loves him.
12. What strange luxury does Mother buy in the winter?
(a) A parasol.
(c) Sun shades.
13. What is Eton?
(a) A horse.
(b) A bar.
(c) A race track.
(d) A school.
14. Why does Paul die happy?
(a) He accomplishes his goal.
(b) He made money.
(c) His mother loves him.
(d) He is ready for school.
15. What does an inanimate object whisper to Paul?
(a) It is sick.
(b) It is lonely.
(c) It needs money.
(d) It is dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul spend all his time thinking about after his mother's birthday?
2. Who tells Paul the good news about the big race?
3. What color is Mother wearing at her party?
4. How does Mother change at the end of the book?
5. What does Paul say ha has naturally?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)