|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people know which horse to bet on at the big race?
(a) It was Paul's last word.
(b) She dreams about it.
(c) It is inscribed on the horse.
(d) It is written in the paper.
2. What makes Mother connect with Paul?
(a) His weakness.
(b) His abilities.
(c) His madness.
(d) His money.
3. How does Paul die?
(a) A spider bites him.
(b) From an illness.
(c) He falls down the stairs.
(d) In his sleep.
4. What does an inanimate object whisper to Paul?
(a) It is sick.
(b) It needs money.
(c) It is lonely.
(d) It is dying.
5. Who is Mother thinking about while she is at a party?
(b) Her father.
6. What does Mother get on her birthday each year?
(a) A new piece of jewelery.
(b) A bouquet.
(c) A nice dinner.
(d) A check.
7. What color are Paul's eyes after the party?
8. When does Paul say he will go on his trip?
(b) After the big race.
(c) After he graduates.
(d) After he signs up for the military.
9. What big race is coming up after Mother's birthday?
(b) The Derby.
(d) The Larkwood.
10. What habit did damage to Mother's family as a child?
11. How does Mother change at the end of the book?
(a) She forgives her husband.
(b) She stops needing money.
(c) She becomes beautiful again.
(d) She cares about her son.
12. How are Paul's eyes described after the party?
13. Who does Mother ask about when she contacts someone during the party?
14. What time of day does Paul die?
(a) The early morning.
(c) Night time.
(d) As the sun sets.
15. Who puts money in the big race for Paul?
(b) The nanny.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul satisfy what whispers to him after Mother gets her birthday money?
2. What does Mother sense in Paul after her birthday?
3. Why is Paul so nervous about the race after his mother's birthday?
4. Who arranges for something to be sent to mother on her birthday every year?
5. Why does someone try to send Paul on a trip after Mother's birthday?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)