|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mother respond when Paul asks her a question on her birthday?
(a) She hugs him.
(b) She makes a phone call.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She leaves the house.
2. What can't Mother recognize after getting home from the party?
(a) The feeling in her heart.
(b) The look in Paul's eyes.
(c) The source of the noise.
(d) The smell coming from Paul.
3. How has Paul been picking race winners?
(a) His rocking horse told him.
(b) It came to him in dreams.
(c) The house told him.
(d) He read it in books.
4. Why doesn't Oscar want Mother to have the full amount of money she wants?
(a) It will do her harm.
(b) She will waste it.
(c) She will harm others.
(d) It will make her sad.
5. How does the house change after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) It is repainted.
(b) It doesn't change at all.
(c) It is added on to.
(d) It is refurnished.
6. Why is someone hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) So he can look his best.
(b) So he can go to a good school.
(c) So he can continue betting.
(d) So he knows his mother loves him.
7. Who arranges for something to be sent to mother on her birthday every year?
8. What shows that Paul has a special power?
(a) His guessing the winners.
(b) The connetion with the horse.
(c) His strange vocabulary.
(d) The change in his eyes.
9. When does Paul say he will go on his trip?
(a) After the big race.
(c) After he signs up for the military.
(d) After he graduates.
10. Who does Paul explain his race picking secret to?
(a) His friend.
(b) His mother.
(c) His nanny.
(d) His uncle.
11. When did Mother last have the luxury she got for herself in the winter?
(a) When she was first married.
(b) When she was a child.
(c) When she was at school.
(d) She never had it.
12. How do people know which horse to bet on at the big race?
(a) She dreams about it.
(b) It is written in the paper.
(c) It was Paul's last word.
(d) It is inscribed on the horse.
13. Whose permission does Mother need to get the money she wants on her birthday?
(c) The Lawyer's.
14. How does Mother describe her monetary situation after getting the birthday money?
(b) Above poverty.
(c) Middle class.
15. What does Paul spend all his time thinking about after his mother's birthday?
(a) The house.
(b) The money.
(c) The big race.
(d) The school he wants to get into.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of the money Paul wins at the Lincoln races?
2. Why does Paul die happy?
3. Where is the change in Paul most noticed on his horse?
4. What does Mother sense in Paul after her birthday?
5. What whispers to Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)