|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of news does Mother receive when she contacts someone during the party?
(a) Sad news.
(b) Scary news.
(c) Strange news.
(d) Good news.
2. What shows that Paul has a special power?
(a) His guessing the winners.
(b) His strange vocabulary.
(c) The change in his eyes.
(d) The connetion with the horse.
3. How does Paul describe the changes in his life after his mother gets the money she wants?
(a) Not at all.
4. How does Mother feel after she gets her birthday money?
(a) As if she deserved it.
(c) Slightly happier.
5. Why doesn't Oscar want Mother to have the full amount of money she wants?
(a) She will waste it.
(b) It will make her sad.
(c) It will do her harm.
(d) She will harm others.
6. What is hired for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) A guardian.
(b) A tutor.
(c) A cook.
(d) A tailor.
7. What answer does Mother get about Paul's last words?
(a) He has been saying that for a while.
(b) That is a kind of prayer.
(c) It is her fault.
(d) It is a horse.
8. How is Paul's expression after Mother's birthday described?
(d) Glazed over.
9. Who does Paul win the money in the big race for?
(b) His family.
(c) The house.
10. Why is Paul so nervous about the race after his mother's birthday?
(a) He wants to quit betting.
(b) The house is tormenting him.
(c) He cannot pick a winner.
(d) He gave up all his money.
11. What whispers to Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) The windows.
(b) The house.
(c) The books.
(d) The horse.
12. What does Mother hear when she gets from from the party?
(a) A mumbling.
(b) A creaking.
(c) A scratching.
(d) A snoring.
13. Why does Mother want to leave the party early?
(a) She wants to throw her own party.
(b) She feels out of place.
(c) She feels guilty for not bringing her husband.
(d) She thinks something bad will happen to Paul.
14. Where is Paul told to take a trip to after Mother's birthday?
(a) The school.
(b) The races.
(c) The farm land.
(d) The seaside.
15. What does an inanimate object whisper to Paul?
(a) It is dying.
(b) It is sick.
(c) It needs money.
(d) It is lonely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul explain his race picking secret to?
2. How does the house change after Mother gets her birthday money?
3. When did Mother last have the luxury she got for herself in the winter?
4. Who does Paul explain his reasons for winning money to?
5. What does Mother do as soon as she gets home from the party?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)