|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Malabar?
(a) A dog.
(b) A kind of wood.
(c) A horse.
(d) A servant.
2. How does Paul satisfy what whispers to him after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) Fighting his sister.
(b) Getting into Oxford.
(c) Quitting his betting.
(d) Bringing in more money.
3. How does the house change after Mother gets her birthday money?
(a) It is repainted.
(b) It is refurnished.
(c) It doesn't change at all.
(d) It is added on to.
4. When does Paul say he will go on his trip?
(a) After he graduates.
(c) After he signs up for the military.
(d) After the big race.
5. Who does Paul explain his race picking secret to?
(a) His mother.
(b) His nanny.
(c) His friend.
(d) His uncle.
6. How is Paul's expression after Mother's birthday described?
(b) Glazed over.
7. What is Paul's face full of after the party?
8. Who does Mother ask about Paul's last words?
(b) The nanny.
9. How do people know which horse to bet on at the big race?
(a) It is inscribed on the horse.
(b) She dreams about it.
(c) It was Paul's last word.
(d) It is written in the paper.
10. What color are Paul's eyes after the party?
11. Why does Mother want to leave the party early?
(a) She wants to throw her own party.
(b) She feels out of place.
(c) She feels guilty for not bringing her husband.
(d) She thinks something bad will happen to Paul.
12. What does the author say Paul's eyes blaze with at the end of the book?
13. What does Mother sense in Paul after her birthday?
(a) She has made a mistake.
(b) There is something wrong.
(c) He is getting stronger.
(d) He will make all her dreams come true.
14. What big race is coming up after Mother's birthday?
(c) The Larkwood.
(d) The Derby.
15. Why does Paul refuse his trip after his Mother's birthday?
(a) It is not what the house wants.
(b) He doesn't deserve it.
(c) He has to focus on the derby.
(d) It would use up too much money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Paul been picking race winners?
2. What strange luxury does Mother buy in the winter?
3. Where is the change in Paul most noticed on his horse?
4. When did Mother last have the luxury she got for herself in the winter?
5. Who hires the person for Paul after Mother gets her birthday money?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)