|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother want to leave the party early?
(a) She feels guilty for not bringing her husband.
(b) She wants to throw her own party.
(c) She thinks something bad will happen to Paul.
(d) She feels out of place.
2. Why does Mother act the way she does during the big race?
(a) She is worried about Paul.
(b) It is her defense mechanism.
(c) Paul asked her to be that way.
(d) She is excited for the winnings.
3. What does Paul do during the big race?
(c) Rocks on his horse.
(d) Talks to his mother.
4. What does Paul ask his mother on her birthday?
(a) If she got a present.
(b) If she is happy.
(c) If she loves him.
(d) If she feels lucky.
5. What is making the noise Mother hears when she gets home from the party?
(a) A mouse.
(c) The trees outside.
(d) The rocking horse.
6. Why does Paul refuse his trip after his Mother's birthday?
(a) It would use up too much money.
(b) He has to focus on the derby.
(c) He doesn't deserve it.
(d) It is not what the house wants.
7. Who tries to send Paul on a trip after Mother's birthday?
8. What does Mother do as soon as she gets home from the party?
(a) Checks on Paul.
(b) Has some dinner.
(c) Goes to bed.
(d) Takes a bath.
9. Why is Paul so nervous about the race after his mother's birthday?
(a) The house is tormenting him.
(b) He cannot pick a winner.
(c) He wants to quit betting.
(d) He gave up all his money.
10. Why does someone try to send Paul on a trip after Mother's birthday?
(a) He is annoying to have around.
(b) He gave them the money.
(c) He will do better with his studies.
(d) He is acting strange.
11. When did Mother last have the luxury she got for herself in the winter?
(a) She never had it.
(b) When she was first married.
(c) When she was at school.
(d) When she was a child.
12. Where does Mother go on her birthday?
(a) The bank.
(b) The horse races.
(c) The lawyer's office.
(d) The train station.
13. Who is Paul winning money for?
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His siblings.
14. Whose permission does Mother need to get the money she wants on her birthday?
(b) The Lawyer's.
15. How does Paul describe the changes in his life after his mother gets the money she wants?
(c) Not at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Mother get on her birthday?
2. How does Paul act during the big race?
3. What shows that Paul has a special power?
4. What does an inanimate object whisper to Paul?
5. Why doesn't Oscar want Mother to have the full amount of money she wants?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)