|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mother get married?
(a) She wanted to make her father angry.
(b) All of these.
(c) She was in love.
(d) She needed money.
2. Where is the first place Paul's uncle takes him?
3. How does Paul hope to win his mother's love?
(a) By making money.
(b) By being smart.
(c) By making his father successful.
(d) By fixing the house.
4. What do Paul and Barrett often talk about?
(c) Raising cats.
(d) Horse racing.
5. What does Mother have a hard time giving her children?
6. How is Mother described at the beginning of the book?
7. How was Mother raised?
(a) In a boarding school.
(b) In luxury.
(c) In poverty.
(d) In an orphanage.
8. Where is Paul's favorite toy kept?
(a) The nursery.
(b) The basement.
(c) The store.
(d) His room.
9. Who does Barrett tell Paul's uncle to talk to Paul about?
10. Why does Mother tell her children they are poor?
(a) They were all born.
(b) She spent the money.
(c) She got sick.
(d) Their father is unlucky.
11. What does Mother try to keep the appearance of after her marriage?
(a) That she is faithful.
(b) That she is beautiful.
(c) That she is happy.
(d) That she is rich.
12. What does Mother love to buy for her children?
(a) All of these.
13. What kind of hair does Paul have?
14. What secret do the children all know about Mother?
(a) She has a hard time loving them.
(b) She is cheating on their father.
(c) She is in debt.
(d) She is unhappy.
15. Why is it hard for Mother to keep up the appearance she wants after her marriage?
(a) She is seen with other men often.
(b) She is aging badly.
(c) They have no money.
(d) She is miserable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paul's main motivation?
2. What does Mother say was her biggest mistake?
3. How does the author describe Mother's taste in things?
4. How is Paul described as a child?
5. What is Paul's uncle a fanatic about?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)