|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Mother raised?
(a) In an orphanage.
(b) In poverty.
(c) In luxury.
(d) In a boarding school.
2. Who does Barrett talk to about Paul's talents?
3. Why does Mother tell her children they are poor?
(a) Their father is unlucky.
(b) They were all born.
(c) She spent the money.
(d) She got sick.
4. What does Joan teach Paul all about?
(a) Horse racing.
(b) Human nature.
5. Where is the first place Paul's uncle takes him?
6. What does Paul's uncle call him when he sees Paul with his favorite toy?
(a) A betting man.
(b) A jockey.
(c) A fortunate one.
(d) A gentleman.
7. Who whispers that they need more?
(a) The house.
(c) The church.
(d) The children.
8. What is Paul's favorite toy?
(a) His stuffed bunny.
(b) His toy drum.
(c) His race track.
(d) His rocking horse.
9. What happened to Mother after she got married?
(a) She lost her inheritance.
(b) She was cheated on.
(c) She got very ill.
(d) She had bad luck.
10. What color are Paul's eyes?
11. How does Paul use his favorite toy?
(a) He rocks it.
(b) He reads it.
(c) He transforms it.
(d) He hits it.
12. When does Barrett make big bets?
(a) When he gets paid.
(b) When Oscar makes the same bet.
(c) When the weather is right.
(d) When Paul is certain.
13. What does Joan do when Paul tells his uncle what she taught him?
(c) Hits him.
(d) Runs away.
14. What do Paul and Barrett often talk about?
(b) Raising cats.
(d) Horse racing.
15. What disintegrates shortly after Mother gets married?
(a) Her good looks.
(b) Her relationship with her husband.
(c) Her goals and dreams.
(d) Her ties to her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Barrett know what to bet on?
2. Who hates to watch Paul when he plays with his toy?
3. What child is Paul?
4. What bothers Joan about what Paul and Barrett talk about?
5. What does Mother try to shower her children with?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)