|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Paul's eyes when he plays with his favorite toy?
(a) They glaze over.
(b) They brighten up.
(c) They close.
(d) They turn dark.
2. Why doesn't Barrett answer all of Paul's uncle's questions about Paul?
(a) He respects Paul's privacy.
(b) He doesn't know the answers.
(c) He doesn't want to get in trouble.
(d) He is embarrassed.
3. Why does Mother say she is not successful?
(a) Her husband is unlucky.
(b) She was never sent to school.
(c) Her family is dead.
(d) She has a short attention span.
4. Who does Mother say gave Paul what she needs from him?
(c) His father.
(d) Her uncle.
5. What is Paul's uncle's name?
6. What does Mother try to keep the appearance of after her marriage?
(a) That she is beautiful.
(b) That she is rich.
(c) That she is happy.
(d) That she is faithful.
7. What color are Paul's eyes?
8. Why does Mother tell her children they are poor?
(a) She got sick.
(b) Their father is unlucky.
(c) They were all born.
(d) She spent the money.
9. What is Paul's favorite toy made of?
10. Who put Paul's family in debt?
(a) His father.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His mother.
(d) His nanny.
11. Why did someone put Paul's family in debt?
(a) To keep up appearances.
(b) To help others.
(c) To gamble.
(d) To pay for schooling.
12. How is Paul described as a child?
13. What does Paul's uncle call him when he sees Paul with his favorite toy?
(a) A jockey.
(b) A betting man.
(c) A fortunate one.
(d) A gentleman.
14. What is Paul's main motivation?
(a) His father's failure.
(b) His friendship with Barrett.
(c) His belief in God.
(d) His mother's problems.
15. Who does Mother blame in private for being so poor?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan do when Paul tells his uncle what she taught him?
2. Where does Barrett think Paul got his talent?
3. Where did Paul's uncle and Barrett meet?
4. When is the only time Barrett has lost on his bets?
5. How does Barrett describe Paul's talent?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)