|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paul's main motivation?
(a) His father's failure.
(b) His friendship with Barrett.
(c) His belief in God.
(d) His mother's problems.
2. What never seems to be enough for Mother?
(a) Her money.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her marriage.
(d) All of these.
3. Who hears someone whispering they need more?
(b) The church.
(c) The house.
(d) The children.
4. Where is the first place Paul's uncle takes him?
5. How does Paul hope to win his mother's love?
(a) By making money.
(b) By making his father successful.
(c) By being smart.
(d) By fixing the house.
6. Who tells Paul's uncle about what he and Barrett talk about?
7. Who does Mother fool with what she showers her children with?
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her children.
(d) People on the outside.
8. Where did Paul's uncle and Barrett meet?
(a) The work place.
(b) The military.
(c) City hall.
9. What is Paul's uncle a fanatic about?
(b) Meeting strange women.
(c) Horse racing.
10. Where is Paul when he invites his uncle to do something?
(a) A cab.
(b) The garden.
(c) His house.
(d) The races.
11. What is Ascot?
(a) A champion fighter.
(b) A race.
(c) A betting hall.
(d) A hotel.
12. Who has helped Barrett make his fortune?
13. What does Paul's uncle call him when he sees Paul with his favorite toy?
(a) A fortunate one.
(b) A jockey.
(c) A gentleman.
(d) A betting man.
14. Who is with Paul's uncle when he first sees Paul on his favorite toy?
(d) All of these.
15. How does Barrett feel about his talks with Paul?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He is left perplexed by them.
(c) He loves them.
(d) He is amused by them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Joan about what Paul and Barrett talk about?
2. What does Joan teach Paul all about?
3. What secret do the children all know about Mother?
4. How is Mother described at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Paul's uncle do when Paul makes his first bet?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)