|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did someone put Paul's family in debt?
(a) To pay for schooling.
(b) To help others.
(c) To keep up appearances.
(d) To gamble.
2. How is Mother described at the beginning of the book?
3. Who hates to watch Paul when he plays with his toy?
(a) His sisters.
(b) All of these.
(c) His nanny.
4. Who does Mother say gave Paul what she needs from him?
(c) His father.
(d) Her uncle.
5. What is strange about what Paul makes his first bet on with his Uncle?
(a) It is an outsider.
(b) It is a young horse.
(c) It is an old rider.
(d) It is a past winner.
6. How does Barrett feel about his talks with Paul?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He is left perplexed by them.
(c) He loves them.
(d) He is amused by them.
7. Who does Mother like to lord over?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her children.
(c) Everyone in town.
(d) Her siblings.
8. Why did Mother get married?
(a) She was in love.
(b) All of these.
(c) She wanted to make her father angry.
(d) She needed money.
9. How does the author describe Mother's taste in things?
10. Where did Paul's uncle and Barrett meet?
(a) City hall.
(b) The work place.
(c) The military.
11. Who does Barrett talk to about Paul's talents?
12. What is Barrett's job?
13. What is Paul's favorite toy?
(a) His rocking horse.
(b) His stuffed bunny.
(c) His toy drum.
(d) His race track.
14. Where does Barrett think Paul got his talent?
15. Why is it hard for Mother to keep up the appearance she wants after her marriage?
(a) She is miserable.
(b) They have no money.
(c) She is seen with other men often.
(d) She is aging badly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paul's uncle's name?
2. How does Paul use his favorite toy?
3. What does Mother try to keep the appearance of after her marriage?
4. How does Barrett describe Paul's talent?
5. What happened to Mother after she got married?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)