|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ascot?
(a) A betting hall.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A race.
(d) A champion fighter.
2. How does Barrett safeguard unsure bets?
(a) He makes more than one bet when Paul isn't sure.
(b) He makes small bets when Paul isn't sure.
(c) He insures his money.
(d) He only bets borrowed money.
3. Who often buys toys for the children?
(b) The nanny.
4. How does Paul use his favorite toy?
(a) He transforms it.
(b) He rocks it.
(c) He hits it.
(d) He reads it.
5. What does Joan teach Paul all about?
(a) Horse racing.
(c) Human nature.
6. What bothers Joan about what Paul and Barrett talk about?
(a) It is always secret.
(b) It is all they ever talk about.
(c) It is juvenile.
(d) It is against the Bible.
7. What child is Paul?
8. When does Barrett make big bets?
(a) When Oscar makes the same bet.
(b) When the weather is right.
(c) When Paul is certain.
(d) When he gets paid.
9. What branch of military was Barrett involved in?
(a) The Navy.
(b) The Army.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The Marines.
10. What question does Paul ask that nobody else has?
(a) What money is.
(b) Why they are poor.
(c) How to get rich.
(d) Where Father is.
11. What military branch was Paul's uncle involved in?
(a) The Army.
(b) The Marines.
(c) The Navy.
(d) The Air Force.
12. Who stores Paul's share of his winnings?
(b) A bank.
(c) His uncle.
13. What is strange about what Paul makes his first bet on with his Uncle?
(a) It is a young horse.
(b) It is an outsider.
(c) It is an old rider.
(d) It is a past winner.
14. What is Paul's uncle's name?
15. What disintegrates shortly after Mother gets married?
(a) Her ties to her family.
(b) Her goals and dreams.
(c) Her relationship with her husband.
(d) Her good looks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Paul's eyes when he plays with his favorite toy?
2. What does Paul hope to win his mother's love from?
3. Who has helped Paul make his fortune?
4. How does Paul describe his relationship with Barrett?
5. What does Paul invite his uncle to do?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)