|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What never seems to be enough for Mother?
(a) Her money.
(b) Her marriage.
(c) All of these.
(d) Her children.
2. What does Mother say one needs to be successful in life?
3. How are Joan and Paul related?
(a) She is his aunt.
(b) She is his sister.
(c) She is his cousin.
(d) She is his nanny.
4. What is Paul's main motivation?
(a) His belief in God.
(b) His friendship with Barrett.
(c) His father's failure.
(d) His mother's problems.
5. Who often buys toys for the children?
(d) The nanny.
6. What does Mother have a hard time giving her children?
7. How does the author describe Mother's taste in things?
8. Why is it strange for Mother to keep servants?
(a) She lives in a bad part of town.
(b) She can't afford it.
(c) Her children are grown.
(d) Her house is small.
9. How does Barrett know what to bet on?
(a) He reads about it.
(b) Paul tells him.
(c) He dreams about it.
(d) He watches Oscar.
10. How was Mother raised?
(a) In luxury.
(b) In a boarding school.
(c) In poverty.
(d) In an orphanage.
11. How is Paul described as a child?
12. Who does Barrett tell Paul's uncle to talk to Paul about?
13. What does Paul think he has found through the betting?
14. Who does Mother fool with what she showers her children with?
(a) Her children.
(c) Her husband.
(d) People on the outside.
15. Why did someone put Paul's family in debt?
(a) To gamble.
(b) To pay for schooling.
(c) To keep up appearances.
(d) To help others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mother blame in private for being so poor?
2. Who does Barrett talk to about Paul's talents?
3. What impresses Paul's uncle about Paul?
4. Why does Mother tell her children they are poor?
5. What is strange about what Paul makes his first bet on with his Uncle?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)