|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Barrett make big bets?
(a) When Paul is certain.
(b) When Oscar makes the same bet.
(c) When the weather is right.
(d) When he gets paid.
2. What does Paul's uncle ask Barrett about?
(a) His skills.
(b) His education.
(c) His interest in horse racing.
(d) His inheritance.
3. How much money has Paul made with Barrett?
(a) 3,500 pounds.
(b) 500 pounds.
(c) 2,500 pounds.
(d) 1,500 pounds.
4. What does Mother try to keep the appearance of after her marriage?
(a) That she is faithful.
(b) That she is happy.
(c) That she is rich.
(d) That she is beautiful.
5. Where did Paul's uncle and Barrett meet?
(a) The military.
(b) City hall.
(d) The work place.
6. What bothers Joan about what Paul and Barrett talk about?
(a) It is all they ever talk about.
(b) It is against the Bible.
(c) It is always secret.
(d) It is juvenile.
7. Who has helped Barrett make his fortune?
8. What secret do the children all know about Mother?
(a) She is unhappy.
(b) She is cheating on their father.
(c) She is in debt.
(d) She has a hard time loving them.
9. Who whispers that they need more?
(b) The church.
(c) The house.
(d) The children.
10. What never seems to be enough for Mother?
(a) All of these.
(b) Her money.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her marriage.
11. Why did someone put Paul's family in debt?
(a) To pay for schooling.
(b) To gamble.
(c) To help others.
(d) To keep up appearances.
12. Who stores Paul's share of his winnings?
(a) A bank.
(b) His uncle.
13. What color are Paul's eyes?
14. How does Barrett describe Paul's talent?
15. How many children does mother have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paul's main motivation?
2. Who hears someone whispering they need more?
3. What does Mother tell Paul when he asks how to be lucky?
4. What branch of military was Barrett involved in?
5. How does Barrett know what to bet on?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)