|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stores Paul's share of his winnings?
(c) A bank.
(d) His uncle.
2. What does Mother love to buy for her children?
(a) All of these.
3. What is Paul's favorite toy made of?
4. How does Barrett safeguard unsure bets?
(a) He only bets borrowed money.
(b) He insures his money.
(c) He makes small bets when Paul isn't sure.
(d) He makes more than one bet when Paul isn't sure.
5. What does Mother say Paul has that she needs?
6. Why is it strange for Mother to keep servants?
(a) She lives in a bad part of town.
(b) Her house is small.
(c) Her children are grown.
(d) She can't afford it.
7. How much money has Paul made with Barrett?
(a) 2,500 pounds.
(b) 500 pounds.
(c) 1,500 pounds.
(d) 3,500 pounds.
8. Why does Mother tell her children they are poor?
(a) She got sick.
(b) They were all born.
(c) Their father is unlucky.
(d) She spent the money.
9. What is strange about what Paul makes his first bet on with his Uncle?
(a) It is a young horse.
(b) It is an old rider.
(c) It is a past winner.
(d) It is an outsider.
10. Who does Mother fool with what she showers her children with?
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her children.
(d) People on the outside.
11. Who does Mother say gave Paul what she needs from him?
(c) His father.
(d) Her uncle.
12. How are Joan and Paul related?
(a) She is his aunt.
(b) She is his cousin.
(c) She is his nanny.
(d) She is his sister.
13. What is Paul's main motivation?
(a) His friendship with Barrett.
(b) His father's failure.
(c) His mother's problems.
(d) His belief in God.
14. How is Mother described at the beginning of the book?
15. Who whispers that they need more?
(a) The church.
(c) The house.
(d) The children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mother get married?
2. Who does Mother like to lord over?
3. What does Mother try to shower her children with?
4. Why is it hard for Mother to keep up the appearance she wants after her marriage?
5. Who does Barrett talk to about Paul's talents?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)