|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gladia say she moved to Aurora?
2. To where does Fastolfe say Earth humans have swept natural indigenous species?
3. In the case of dismantling R. Jander Panell, what term is finally applied?
4. What is Baley attempting to determine in his investigation?
5. What is Baley's wife's fear about his trip to Aurora?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Baley is both unfamiliar with and panicked by a storm.
2. How is Elijah Baley introduced in the novel?
3. How does Baley have to deal with Daneel in conversation?
4. Even though Jander was in someone else's possession at the time of his death, why is Fastolfe a prime suspect?
5. How does Daneel explain that another robot could be substituted for Giskard without anyone knowing?
6. Define what Baley thinks will be difficult for him back on Earth.
7. How, apparently, was the humaniform robot, R. Jander Panell, killed?
8. What are Earth cities like at the time of the novel?
9. In what way is Daneel unique?
10. In what way did Fastolfe go against tradition to raise his daughter, Vasilia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the subject, Science Fact and Fiction. Include in your essay examples of science fiction that have become reality today (e.g., Verne's Journey to the Moon). Mention the vast distances in space and the theoretical nature of such things as hyper-space. Conclude with your opinion whether many things in science fiction will become realities.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the subject, Ecology and Domed Cities. In THE ROBOTS OF DAWN, the cities on Earth are all covered with domes presumably because the planet's Outside is contaminated and unsafe for human habitation. Your essay should include our current awareness of global warming with Domed Cities as metaphors for the need to reverse looming environmental disasters.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the subject, Phobias in THE ROBOTS OF DAWN. This two part essay expresses your understanding and evaluation of germ phobia and agoraphobia. Include how phobias lead to obsessive-compulsive behavior.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)