|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Baley often find himself in order to fulfill his mission?
2. What must Baley prove about Fastolfe according to Demacheck?
3. What brings Baley out of a deep sleep?
4. What does Daneel foresee will be a problem for Baley?
5. How does the Spaceport appear to Bentley as he sees his father off?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from assisting Baley, why is Daneel sent on this mission to bring the detective to Aurora?
2. Describe the impact on the weather as Baley goes about trying to prove Fastolfe's innocence.
3. How has Baley become famous throughout the Spacer universe?
4. How does the reunion of Baley and Fastolfe add to the suspense of the story?
5. What does Baley miss completely about the robot Giskard?
6. What are Earth cities like at the time of the novel?
7. Explain the Personal.
8. Why does Daneel think it necessary to stay near Baley other than to guard him?
9. How does Baley have to deal with Daneel in conversation?
10. In what way did Fastolfe go against tradition to raise his daughter, Vasilia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the subject, Science Fact and Fiction. Include in your essay examples of science fiction that have become reality today (e.g., Verne's Journey to the Moon). Mention the vast distances in space and the theoretical nature of such things as hyper-space. Conclude with your opinion whether many things in science fiction will become realities.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the subject, Why Mystery in THE ROBOTS OF DAWN brings Realism to Science Fiction. Points should include (1) the mystery genre as a believable occurrence, (2) how a realistic plot adds credibility to the science fiction, and (3) how the element of mystery moves the story along.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the subject, Why I Liked (Did not Like) THE ROBOTS OF DAWN. Write this essay like a book review mentioning Asimov's style, his creativity, his use of language, and his story telling ability. End with a recommendation for others to read or not read the novel.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)