|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Earth humans likely candidates for future colonization according to Fastolfe?
2. How does Asimov get across the poor conditions back on Earth?
3. What is necessary for conversation to conform to the humaniform mindset?
4. Where does Vasilia work?
5. Who is trying to get around Fastolfe's refusal to create more humaniform robots?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daneel think it necessary to stay near Baley other than to guard him?
2. What is the nature of the case Baley is called upon to solve on planet Aurora?
3. How is Elijah Baley introduced in the novel?
4. Aside from assisting Baley, why is Daneel sent on this mission to bring the detective to Aurora?
5. What are the reasons Auroran Globalists reject Earth people as having any part in Galactic Expansion?
6. When Baley panics while using the device to view space from his cabin, what is unusual about the way he is rescued?
7. How, apparently, was the humaniform robot, R. Jander Panell, killed?
8. In what way did Fastolfe go against tradition to raise his daughter, Vasilia?
9. Define the line of questioning for which Baley gets no information from the robots who are guarding him.
10. What is the odd thing about the Aurorans dislike for Earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the subject, If I Lived on Aurora. Discuss the things you would like about Auroran convenience and culture. Then discuss the things that you would find disagreeable about Auroran lifestyle.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the subject, The Pros and Cons of Population Control. In the novel, Earth has become overcrowded with everyone living in domed cities. On Aurora, the population is carefully controlled to prevent overcrowding and keep down costs of supporting a large population. Analyze both sides presenting the good and the bad within each approach.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typed, double-spaced pages on the subject, The Communistic Nature of Aurora in THE ROBOTS OF DAWN. Include the following: (1) the idea that there are no "have nots" on Aurora, (2) the Auroran population control, and (3) the idea that jealousy does not exist on Aurora.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)