|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Justus believe would be a good person for Marcellus to speak to about Jesus?
2. Why is it that the poor people of Galilee and Tiberias do not make use of the healing powers of the hot springs?
3. When Justus tells Marcellus about his grandson's foot having healed, what is implied in his avoidance of Marcellus's questions about it?
4. When Marcellus speaks of his irritation over mistreated animals, what subject does his traveling companion bring up in Chapter 12?
5. When Jesus calls to say hello to Bartholomew in Capernaum, what name does he call him by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paulus tell Marcellus that he would be wise to leave for Joppa and make his way back to Rome?
2. What does Marcellus do to try and find out from Justus why Miriam's disposition improves so suddenly?
3. How does Justus explain to Marcellus Jesus's idea of people giving things away without worrying about providing for their own dependents?
4. Why is it that Marcipor does not want to let Marcellus know about his turn to Christianity at this point?
5. What incident results in Demetrius having to run away and leave Marcellus?
6. What is making the master-slave relationship between Marcellus and Demetrius more and more difficult to sustain by Chapter 11?
7. When Justus tells Marcellus a story about a wealthy nobleman who followed Jesus around and wondered how he could get what Jesus has, what does the man discover he must do?
8. When Marcellus arrives at Benyosef's shop in Jerusalem, why is it that he does not find Demetrius there?
9. When Simon Peter and Marcellus meet on the grassy knoll, what wrongdoings do they admit to one another that they need to repent for?
10. How does Simon, the big fisherman, come to know Demetrius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Demetrius writes his first letter to Marcellus once he has reached Jerusalem, why does he make note of the sign of a fish he finds in different locations? What importance and meaning does this drawing have to both men? How will Marcellus make use of this information?
Essay Topic 2
Hariph visits Marcellus in his tent and tells him stories of Jesus healing people, turning water into wine, and feeding a crowd of five thousand with small basket of bread and two fish. Of these stories, why is it that Marcellus believes the story of feeding the people the most? How does this story connect the most for him with the sayings of Jesus?
Essay Topic 3
When Demetrius arrives to join Marcellus and Justus in their camp, they have dinner. Demetrius, knowing his place as a slave, stands instead of sitting with the men. Justus finds this appalling. What is Justus' reasoning for Demetrius having the right to join them at the table? Why is Demetrius happy enough with things as they are? What does Jonathan point out that gives Justus some food for thought?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)