|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesse sell to the Centurian named Hortensius?
2. Why are many merchants coming to the daily suppers at the Ecclesia?
3. With whom does Demetrius find work and a place to live in Jerusalem?
4. How does Demetrius discover that Paulus is the new legate of Capernaum?
5. What happens to Pilate after the crucifixion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Miriam encourage Justus to tell Marcellus everything about Jesus?
2. Why does Jesus refer to Bartholomew as Nathanael?
3. Why does Paulus decide to let Demetrius go free in Chapter 18?
4. Why is Celia, Quintus' wife, beside herself with anxiety and jealousy concerning Prince Gaius?
5. What is making the master-slave relationship between Marcellus and Demetrius more and more difficult to sustain by Chapter 11?
6. How does Demetrius compare the ways in which the Roman emperors get armies to give up their lives to the ways in which Jesus commands loyalty?
7. After Marcellus tells his father of his experiences concerning Jesus, what does the senator advise him to do about it with Tiberius?
8. When Simon Peter and Marcellus meet on the grassy knoll, what wrongdoings do they admit to one another that they need to repent for?
9. What does Marcellus do to try and find out from Justus why Miriam's disposition improves so suddenly?
10. When Justus tells Marcellus a story about a wealthy nobleman who followed Jesus around and wondered how he could get what Jesus has, what does the man discover he must do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Can the character of Marcellus be justifiably compared to Jesus? If not, who can, and how?
Essay Topic 2
When Benjamin, the weaver, questions both Demetrius and Marcellus about the last days of Jesus, what is so important to him about it? What bewilders Marcellus the most the man's reactions to his answers? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the story of what happened at Anna's wedding with the water being turned into wine such an important one? What connection does Marcellus make to increase the importance of the story?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)