|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Demetrius returns to Rome, he tells Lucia that Marcellus repeats this question over and over:
2. How does Demetrius perceive Jesus to be in Chapter 5?
3. Why is Zenos's master, Popygos, upset about the constant quarrels between the Romans and the Jews?
4. Who is Diana?
5. What does Marcellus do at a banquet to offend Prince Gaius?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marcellus's being sent to a post in Minoa considered to be a form of exile for him?
2. When Marcellus asks Paulus if he ever tries to make up one of his own gods, how does Paulus respond?
3. When Theodosia asks Demetrius if the robe is haunted, how does he answer?
4. According to one report, when one witness testifies that Jesus professes to be a king, what is Pilate's reaction?
5. How does Marcellus come to own Jesus's robe?
6. When Marcellus tells Demetrius to give him the robe during the banquet at the Insula, why does Demetrius hesitate?
7. What is Marcus Gallio's attitude toward the acquisition of slaves?
8. In Chapter 1, Marcus asks Lucia why she is being so unusually considerate of the new twin slaves, Helen and Nesta. What is Lucia's response?
9. What does Demetrius tell Marcellus about his belief in the gods?
10. What information is Lucia attempting to extract from Demetrius concerning her brother in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paulus is amazed with Marcellus's involvement with the followers of Jesus. They converse about the stories of Jesus performing miracles and whether or not Marcellus believes in any of it. Is Paulus's respect and admiration for Marcellus changing? What, if anything, in Paulus's words to Marcellus indicate a change in his estimation of the man? Can Paulus possibly be converted to seeing things from Marcellus's point of view?
Essay Topic 2
When Marcellus proclaims that he is a Christian when speaking with Demetrius after Stephanos's stoning, Demetrius ponders that Marcellus declares this with more pride than he ever put into a declaration stating his Roman ancestry. Compare and contrast Marcellus's Roman and Christian affiliations.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the story of what happened at Anna's wedding with the water being turned into wine such an important one? What connection does Marcellus make to increase the importance of the story?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)