|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Demetrius's emotion when he realizes his master is winning the fight?
2. Where do Marcellus and Demetrius arrive at the beginning of Chapter 8?
3. What does Demetrius bring to Benjamin when he visits him in Chapter 9?
4. What does Marcellus wish he had done before leaving for his departing ship?
5. Who is in love with Marcellus?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Marcellus writes a letter to Diana in Chapter 5, what does he decide to convey to her?
2. What is Marcus Gallio's attitude toward the acquisition of slaves?
3. How does Marcellus come to own Jesus's robe?
4. What is Marcellus's condition when Demetrius returns home with him?
5. In Chapter 1, Marcus asks Lucia why she is being so unusually considerate of the new twin slaves, Helen and Nesta. What is Lucia's response?
6. Why does Pontius Pilate wash his hands in a basin in view of the civilian audience of Jewish merchants?
7. When Marcellus asks Paulus if he ever tries to make up one of his own gods, how does Paulus respond?
8. What makes Tiberius suddenly change his mind about giving Marcellus a job in Capri?
9. Why is Zeno's master, Popygos, upset that everyone in Jerusalem is mixed up with the case of the man from Nazareth?
10. When Marcellus tells Demetrius to give him the robe during the banquet at the Insula, why does Demetrius hesitate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While speaking with Marcus Gallio in Chapter 10, Emperor Tiberius begins to rant about the empire's administration in Jerusalem and Herod, the prefect. Discuss Tiberius's feelings towards Pontius Pilate and Herod. What does the world think of the Roman Empire according to Tiberius?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Marcellus's feelings about the robe from when he first sees it until the end of Chapter 8, when it miraculously seems to cure him of his depression. What has changed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marcus Gallio's attitude toward slaves. Why does he choose to purchase slaves more privately than others do? Why does he sometimes pay more than he has to for his slaves?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)