|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gets Benjamin excited when Demetrius tells him about what happened to Jesus?
(a) He likes hearing about the Jewish merchants.
(b) He believes Yeshayah's prophecies may be coming true.
(c) He wishes to hear more about a crucifixion.
(d) Things happening in distant places excite the old man.
2. How does Benjamin think the temple will feel if the messiah actually made an appearance on earth?
3. On the Roman caravan to Jerusalem, why is no one else traveling on the day the soldiers make their way along the highway running up from Hebron?
(a) It is the sabbath and Jews cannot travel.
(b) Everone else is already there.
(c) There is a desert storm brewing.
(d) People are afraid to walk near the soldiers.
4. According to Paulus, what does Pilate ask Jesus during his trial?
(a) Did you say you are a king?
(b) Did you incite a riot?
(c) What punishment should I give you?
(d) Guilty or innocent?
5. Who is madly in love with Demetrius in Chapter II?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Zenos's master, Popygos, upset about the constant quarrels between the Romans and the Jews?
2. What does Pontius Pilate do to anger the Jews so much that it causes a seven-month war?
3. Why is Marcellus reluctant to return to Benjamin to pick up the repaired robe himself the following day?
4. What social barrier does Marcus Gallio decide to cross when speaking with Demetrius in Chapter 7?
5. For whom does Demetrius bring water to the crucifixion site?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Marcellus has touched the robe in Chapter 8 and feels a great relief, he speaks with Demetrius about it. Where does their conversation about the robe's powers lead to?
2. What makes Tiberius suddenly change his mind about giving Marcellus a job in Capri?
3. What is Marcus Gallio's attitude toward the acquisition of slaves?
4. What does Demetrius tell Marcellus about his belief in the gods?
5. How does Marcellus come to own Jesus's robe?
6. How does Marcellus find himself comparing Jesus to Plato?
7. Why does Pontius Pilate wash his hands in a basin in view of the civilian audience of Jewish merchants?
8. What does Marcellus at first suspect of his slave, Demetrius, when Marcellus and his father are speaking in private and then open the door to the atrium?
9. When Theodosia asks Demetrius if the robe is haunted, how does he answer?
10. Why is it that Marcus's father does not believe Marcus should apologize to Gaius?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)