|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Demetrius reveal about himself to Paulus, the new commander at Capernaum?
(a) He is in love with Miriam.
(b) He is a Christian.
(c) He has run away from Marcellus.
(d) He meant to kill the Syrian slave.
2. On their way to Cana, what surprise does Justus tell Marcellus he has for him there?
(b) A lame woman who sings beautifully.
(c) A wonderful teller of tales.
(d) His grandson, Jonathan.
3. How does Miriam account to Marcellus for her sudden ability to sing?
(a) She went into the hot springs.
(b) She tells him it is a secret.
(c) She admits to practicing.
(d) She imitates the birds.
4. What story concerning a man named Zacchaeus does Miriam tell Marcellus in Chapter 15?
(a) A sad story of death.
(b) A story of redemption.
(c) A story of a broken man.
(d) A story of how Zacchaeus plotted against Jesus.
5. What does Marcellus learn of the fate of Simon the fisherman when he finds the Christian meeting place has been locked up and the leaders arrested?
(a) He is being sent to Rome.
(b) He is to be beheaded.
(c) He has been released.
(d) He has been murdered on the spot.
6. What does Marcellus purchase from Deborah on their way to Sepphoris?
(b) A brown robe.
(c) A donkey.
(d) Two saddlebags.
7. When a woman sees Justus and Marcellus approaching Jacob's well, what does she do?
(a) Goes home and returns with another woman.
(b) Drops her water buckets and runs.
(c) Screams out Justus's name and runs to him.
(d) Runs away in fear.
8. How did Miriam obtain her freedom?
(a) By pretending she is happy.
(b) It was a gift.
(c) She paid for it.
(d) By singing for it.
9. Why does Marcellus tell Paulus that he will be going to Jerusalem in Chapter 18?
(a) The Christian leaders are there.
(b) He wants to turn himself in to Quintus.
(c) He misses the area.
(d) To see Jesus's tomb.
10. According to Justus, how do Jews express themselves since they neither carve nor draw?
(a) They play-act and write.
(b) They write poetry.
(c) They paint.
(d) They sing and tell stories.
11. When Marcellus rhetorically asks Miriam what constitutes freedom, what does she answer?
(a) The truth.
(b) Being able to walk.
(c) The ability to love.
(d) Absence of chains.
12. How does the Gallio household react to Marcellus's return from Jerusalem in Chapter 20?
(a) There is much fear for Marcellus's state of mind.
(b) Everyone is happy and laughing.
(c) All except Lucia are happy.
(d) Everyone is sad that Marcellus is a Christian.
13. Why does Stephanos recognize Marcellus the moment he first sees him?
(a) He recalls Marcellus from the Vestis.
(b) He was in Athens when Marcellus was there.
(c) He remembers Marcellus from the crucifixion site.
(d) Demetrius drew a sketch of Marcellus for him.
14. Why is Celia furious with Gaius?
(a) He is not sending Quintus home to her.
(b) He is giving Diana too much attention.
(c) She does not think he is nice enough to Diana.
(d) He is rude to Tiberius.
15. Who, by rumor, will be taking over the Fort at Capernaum?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jesus calls to say hello to Bartholomew in Capernaum, what name does he call him by?
2. How is the woman, Lydia, trying to get to Jesus in the crowd, cured of her illness?
3. Who does Justus believe would be a good person for Marcellus to speak to about Jesus?
4. What does Demetrius think of the ten commandments?
5. Why is Justus worried about Jonathan getting praise from the townspeople?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)