|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marcellus tell Paulus that he will be going to Jerusalem in Chapter 18?
(a) To see Jesus's tomb.
(b) He wants to turn himself in to Quintus.
(c) He misses the area.
(d) The Christian leaders are there.
2. What does Jesse sell to the Centurian named Hortensius?
(a) Four camels.
(b) Two saddlebags.
(c) A scroll.
(d) A blanket.
3. How does Demetrius respond to Lucia when she says it may not hurt the slaves to be happy this one time?
(a) He wonders who has a right to tell others when they may be happy.
(b) He tells her she has lost control of her house.
(c) He says he has forgotten he is a slave.
(d) He thanks her for her generosity.
4. Who, by rumor, will be taking over the Fort at Capernaum?
5. What does Demetrius decide he must do after the incident with Quintus in Chapter XI?
(a) Give himself up.
(b) Run away and hide.
(c) Marry Theodosia.
(d) Hide in Benjamin's home.
6. What act of charity does Jonathan perform?
(a) He gives his donkey to Thomas.
(b) He gives every coin he has to Thomas.
(c) He sleeps in Marcellus's tent rather than his grandfather's.
(d) He sleeps with his grandfather rather than in the tent.
7. How does Demetrius discover that Paulus is the new legate of Capernaum?
(a) His cellmate tells him so.
(b) He sees Paulus on the road.
(c) Marcellus has sent him word.
(d) He reads about it.
8. What language are Demetrius and Marcello practicing at the beginning of Chapter 11?
9. Why is it believed by those at Capri that Diana is being detained against her own wishes?
(a) She is overheard begging the emperor to let her go home.
(b) She confides in her housemaid.
(c) When her mother visits, Diana cries upon her departure.
(d) Someone reads her personal journals.
10. What does Jesus do for Hortensius's orderly?
(a) Frees him from slavery.
(b) Cures him of palsy.
(c) He does his work for him.
(d) Wakes him from death.
11. What does Simon tell his fellow Christians as the Roman soldiers take him away to jail and a most likely death?
(a) To keep holy the Sabbath.
(b) That he forgives them all.
(c) To continue with the daily suppers.
(d) That he will come back to them.
12. When Justus tells Marcellus about his grandson's foot having healed, what is implied in his avoidance of Marcellus's questions about it?
(a) The boy has since died.
(b) The boy's foot is not really healed.
(c) Justus spent a lot of money to cure Jonathan.
(d) Jesus is the healer.
13. What does Marcellus learn of the fate of Simon the fisherman when he finds the Christian meeting place has been locked up and the leaders arrested?
(a) He has been murdered on the spot.
(b) He is being sent to Rome.
(c) He is to be beheaded.
(d) He has been released.
14. What has the group Simon called together for a daily supper been doing?
(a) Electing officials.
(b) Deciding how to oppose the Romans.
(c) Quarreling amongst themselve.
(d) Writing doctrines.
15. Who surprises Marcellus with a visit in Chapter 16?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcellus intend to do with all of the homespun goods he has and does not need?
2. What happens when Stephanos speaks to a crowd of priests and well-dressed men from the business district?
3. When Jesus calls to say hello to Bartholomew in Capernaum, what name does he call him by?
4. When Marcellus speaks of his irritation over mistreated animals, what subject does his traveling companion bring up in Chapter 12?
5. How does Miriam account to Marcellus for her sudden ability to sing?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)