|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pilate dip his hands in a basin of water and fling the water off his fingers?
(a) It is a courtesy to have clean hands.
(b) He had touched Jesus and wants to be clean.
(c) To show the crowd he is against them.
(d) To wash his hands of Jesus's case.
2. Where does Demetrius go after speaking with Zenos and his master, Polygos?
(a) The marketplace.
(b) Back to Minoa.
(d) The praetorium.
3. Who is beautiful, in her mid-forties, a cultured, gracious hostess, and probably the laziest woman in the whole Roman Empire?
(a) Lucia Gallio.
(b) Cornelia Vipsania Gallio.
(c) Paula Gallus.
(d) Diana Gallus.
4. What happens to Sextus to put him out of commission?
(a) He breaks his leg.
(b) He becomes depressed.
(c) He is poisoned.
(d) He contracts a disease.
5. What does the newly purchased slave, Demetrius, do when he arrives at Lucia's home?
(a) Puts a dagger under his pillow.
(b) Tries to escape.
(c) Throws away his shackles.
(d) Dives into the pool.
6. How does Benjamin think the temple will feel if the messiah actually made an appearance on earth?
7. Who is awakened from his bed to hear the case about Jesus?
8. Which author does Demetrius instigate a conversation about with Marcellus in Chapter 8?
9. When Demetrius returns to Rome, he tells Lucia that Marcellus repeats this question over and over:
(a) "Did it hurt?"
(b) "Who took the robe?"
(c) "Where is Jesus?"
(d) "Were you out there?"
10. What happens to Marcellus when finds the robe in Demetrius's chamber and touches it?
(a) He continues to search for his knives.
(b) He becomes relieved and is no longer afraid.
(c) His intentions to sell Demetrius become stronger.
(d) He falls into an even deeper depression.
11. Why are still stains on the robe Marcellus brings to Benjamin to fix?
(a) Marcellus orders Benjamin not to try to wash the robe.
(b) They will not come out.
(c) Benjamin refuses to remove them.
(d) They are not stains; they are flaws in the fabric.
12. Who has a sword fight while at Marcellus's first dinner in Minoa?
(a) Sextus and Vitelius.
(b) Marcellus and Sextus.
(c) Sextus and Paulus.
(d) Marcellus and Paulus.
13. Who is the deliverer the Jews are waiting for?
(a) The tribune.
(c) A rabbi.
(d) The messiah.
14. What social barrier does Marcus Gallio decide to cross when speaking with Demetrius in Chapter 7?
(a) Marcus offers Demetrius his freedom.
(b) Marcus wants Demetrius to speak with him as an equal.
(c) Marcus offers Demetrius his daughter's hand in marriage.
(d) Marcus wants to dine with Demetrius.
15. What is Diana's plan when she visits her grandfather, the emperor?
(a) To inherit his money.
(b) To have a home built for her.
(c) To get Marcellus back home.
(d) To see Tiberius before he dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Demetrius realize that Pilate has given Jesus to the people to judge?
2. What is Demetrius's state of mind as he approaches the crucifixion site?
3. What is Paulus's belief about the gods' origins?
4. Who is in charge of Minoa before Marcellus' arrival?
5. What does Prince Gaius attempt to do to Lucia at the palace on Capri?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)