|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is second in command at Minoa?
2. What happens to Marcellus when finds the robe in Demetrius's chamber and touches it?
(a) He falls into an even deeper depression.
(b) He becomes relieved and is no longer afraid.
(c) He continues to search for his knives.
(d) His intentions to sell Demetrius become stronger.
3. What are Marcellus's orders from Prince Gaius?
(a) To command the garrison at Minoa.
(b) To attack the troops at Gaza.
(c) To take charge of a prison in southern Palestine.
(d) To free the Jews in Palestine.
4. What condition is Paulus in when he speaks with Marcellus in Chapter 6?
(d) Very sad.
5. According to Paulus, what does Pilate ask Jesus during his trial?
(a) Did you say you are a king?
(b) Guilty or innocent?
(c) What punishment should I give you?
(d) Did you incite a riot?
6. Why does Pilate dip his hands in a basin of water and fling the water off his fingers?
(a) It is a courtesy to have clean hands.
(b) To wash his hands of Jesus's case.
(c) To show the crowd he is against them.
(d) He had touched Jesus and wants to be clean.
7. What does Marcellus wish he had done before leaving for his departing ship?
(a) Left Demetrius behind.
(b) Refused his orders to go.
(c) Kissed Diana.
(d) Written a will.
8. What does Demetrius decide to do with Melas, only to change his mind?
(a) Run away.
(b) Write letters home.
(c) Get drunk.
(d) Hide the robe.
9. Which author does Demetrius instigate a conversation about with Marcellus in Chapter 8?
10. For whom does Demetrius bring water to the crucifixion site?
(b) The weeping women.
11. What does one of Pilate's legionnaires tell Paulus he had heard that Jesus intends to do if the temple is torn down?
(a) Die on a cross.
(b) Have it rebuilt eventually.
(c) Put it up in three days.
(d) Build a new market there.
12. Who is Diana?
(a) A slave.
(b) A good friend of Lucia's.
(c) The princess.
(d) Lucia's mother.
13. Who has a sword fight while at Marcellus's first dinner in Minoa?
(a) Marcellus and Sextus.
(b) Sextus and Vitelius.
(c) Marcellus and Paulus.
(d) Sextus and Paulus.
14. What does Marcellus do the morning after feeling cleansed by touching the robe?
(a) He sings with the birds.
(b) He questions Demetrius about Theodoris.
(c) He tries to reason out whether the robe is magical.
(d) He decides to punish Demetrius for taking his daggers.
15. What does Demetrius show to Marcellus, hoping to cure his depression?
(a) A drawing of Diana.
(b) The robe.
(c) His mother's ring.
(d) A statue he has sculpted of Marcellus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Demetrius think of Augustus's writing that "how sweet and glorious to die for one's country!"?
2. What does Demetrius give to Lucia before he leaves with Marcellus?
3. Why must Marcus Gallio make a visit to the emperor in Capri?
4. How does Demetrius perceive Jesus to be in Chapter 5?
5. Why is Marcellus so welcome at the House of Eupolis in Athens?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)