|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days do the father and son stay in the nice house?
2. After the father and son finish the last of their food supply, what does the son ask the father about eating?
3. What does the father say about their first night back on the road?
4. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
5. The next town the father and son come to they find a nice looking house -- what do they find inside a locked pantry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of trust and mistrust in the The Road, also explaining how it affects the son. The father's mistrust of others does keep them safe; however, does it also hold them back? Has the father's mistrust of others made the son naïve about their current situation? How has the father's mistrust of others made the son unhappy?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of repetition of problems and how it sets the tone for the book. How does the repetition of these problems create a bleak feeling throughout the book? How does this repetition help make their situation seem hopeless? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of overprotection in the book and how it pertains to the father and son's relationship. Is the father's overprotection justified or needless?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)