|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
2. The morning after sleeping on the road, what do the father and son do because the father is worried about their tracks?
3. How are the father and son feeling when they leave the hidden cellar?
4. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
5. Why does the father not want to stay in the hidden cellar?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
2. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
3. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
4. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
5. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
6. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
7. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
8. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
9. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
10. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of death in The Road. How are the father and son dealing with the thought of death? How does the son's view of death compare to the father's? Is the son naive about death?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the father's psychological state and how it pertains to the story. How does his mental state affect the decisions that he makes? Are these decisions helping or hurting himself and his son?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of extinction or "the end of the world." How has near extinction caused humans to act in The Road? Would people really react this way? What are signs that the earth has been mistreated? Are there any signs that the earth is healing itself?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)