|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
2. What do the father and son find inside the hidden cellar?
3. How many days do the father and son stay in the nice house?
4. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
5. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of hope throughout the novel: hope for a better world, hope that there are still good people out there. Give some examples from the text that demonstrate the father and son's hope. How is the story ended with a hint of hope? How can hope for a better tomorrow encourage someone through a hard time?
Essay Topic 2
From the very beginning of The Road, the author does not give the father and son names, he gives them the generic labels of "the man or father" and "the boy or son."
Part 1) Why did the author choose not to give his characters names?
Part 2) How do the characters' basic names of "the man" and "the boy" affect the way the reader relates to them?
Part 3) How would the reader view the text if the characters had been given names?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the father's psychological state and how it pertains to the story. How does his mental state affect the decisions that he makes? Are these decisions helping or hurting himself and his son?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)