|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the father leads the son to the hidden cellar, what does the father tell his son that good guys do not give in to?
2. How does the son feel about the beach?
3. After leaving the nice house, the father and son come to a gas station -- what do they find there?
4. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
5. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 21 after the father breaks open a locked pantry door.
2. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
3. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
4. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
5. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
6. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
7. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
8. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
9. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
10. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting in The Road is vital to the whole tone of the story. Analyze the use of setting in The Road.
Part 1) How did Cormac McCarthy describe his setting?
Part 2) How is the setting almost considered a character in the story?
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel -- was the setting simple or complex?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of trust and mistrust in the The Road, also explaining how it affects the son. The father's mistrust of others does keep them safe; however, does it also hold them back? Has the father's mistrust of others made the son naïve about their current situation? How has the father's mistrust of others made the son unhappy?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the father's psychological state and how it pertains to the story. How does his mental state affect the decisions that he makes? Are these decisions helping or hurting himself and his son?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)