|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the son think is inside the nice house?
2. How does the son feel about the beach?
3. What does the father find in the nice house that he thinks could be poison?
4. The next town the father and son come to they find a nice looking house -- what do they find inside a locked pantry?
5. How does the son feel about his father going in the ocean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
2. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
3. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
4. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
5. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
6. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
7. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
8. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
9. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
10. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The father always puts the son's needs before his own, as he wants so desperately for his son to have a better life. Examine the theme of love in the The Road.
Part 1) What does having unconditional love mean?
Part 2) How does his love for his son cause him to make rash decisions?
Part 3) Compare the father's love for his son to the son's love for his father.
Essay Topic 2
The father insists that there are good and bad guys in the world, leading the reader to believe a "bad" group of people are responsible for the destruction. How are good people set apart from bad people in the story? What are the major characteristics that good people have that bad people don't? How does the father distinguish between the good and bad people?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbol of innocence and how it pertains to the son in The Road. Why is the son's innocence so important to the father? Why wouldn't he rather have his son toughen up? Is the son's innocence a symbol of what has been lost in the world?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)