Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
2. What do the father and son find inside the hidden cellar?
3. How many days do the father and son stay in the nice house?
4. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
5. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
From the very beginning of The Road, the author does not give the father and son names, he gives them the generic labels of "the man or father" and "the boy or son."
Part 1) Why did the author choose not to give his characters names?
Part 2) How do the characters' basic names of "the man" and "the boy" affect the way the reader relates to them?
Part 3) How would the reader view the text if the characters had been given names?
Analyze the symbol of innocence and how it pertains to the son in The Road. Why is the son's innocence so important to the father? Why wouldn't he rather have his son toughen up? Is the son's innocence a symbol of what has been lost in the world?
Examine the theme of repetition of problems and how it sets the tone for the book. How does the repetition of these problems create a bleak feeling throughout the book? How does this repetition help make their situation seem hopeless? Cite examples from the text.
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)