|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the father and son stop for the night after leaving the hidden cellar, what does the son ask the father?
2. Before leaving the house and barn, the father and son collect more _______ before they head back on the road.
3. While on the beach, why does the father need to warm the son up with a fire and food?
4. After leaving their camp, what does the father spy some boys burning?
5. After leaving the hidden cellar and stopping for the night, the son asks the father a question -- how does the father answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
2. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
3. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
4. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
5. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
6. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
7. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
8. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
9. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
10. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of hope throughout the novel: hope for a better world, hope that there are still good people out there. Give some examples from the text that demonstrate the father and son's hope. How is the story ended with a hint of hope? How can hope for a better tomorrow encourage someone through a hard time?
Essay Topic 2
The setting in The Road is vital to the whole tone of the story. Analyze the use of setting in The Road.
Part 1) How did Cormac McCarthy describe his setting?
Part 2) How is the setting almost considered a character in the story?
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel -- was the setting simple or complex?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death in The Road. How are the father and son dealing with the thought of death? How does the son's view of death compare to the father's? Is the son naive about death?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)