|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
2. While the father has another coughing fit, what does he think about?
3. After leaving the hidden cellar and stopping for the night, the son asks the father a question -- how does the father answer?
4. What does the father want to do with the food that he and his son find in the nice house?
5. After the father finds his son, who had wandered off while he was asleep, what does the son tell the father he has found?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
2. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
3. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
4. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
5. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
6. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
7. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
8. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
9. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
10. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of hope throughout the novel: hope for a better world, hope that there are still good people out there. Give some examples from the text that demonstrate the father and son's hope. How is the story ended with a hint of hope? How can hope for a better tomorrow encourage someone through a hard time?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbol of innocence and how it pertains to the son in The Road. Why is the son's innocence so important to the father? Why wouldn't he rather have his son toughen up? Is the son's innocence a symbol of what has been lost in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the novel and analyze how it affects the story. How has this technique affected the plot of the story? Cite examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)