|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father want to do with the food that he and his son find in the nice house?
2. As the father leads the son to the hidden cellar, what does the father tell his son that good guys do not give in to?
3. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
4. How does the son feel about the beach?
5. What does the son talk about as they leave the hidden cellar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
2. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
3. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
4. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
5. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
6. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
7. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
8. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
9. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
10. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of extinction or "the end of the world." How has near extinction caused humans to act in The Road? Would people really react this way? What are signs that the earth has been mistreated? Are there any signs that the earth is healing itself?
Essay Topic 2
The father insists that there are good and bad guys in the world, leading the reader to believe a "bad" group of people are responsible for the destruction. How are good people set apart from bad people in the story? What are the major characteristics that good people have that bad people don't? How does the father distinguish between the good and bad people?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of trust and mistrust in the The Road, also explaining how it affects the son. The father's mistrust of others does keep them safe; however, does it also hold them back? Has the father's mistrust of others made the son naïve about their current situation? How has the father's mistrust of others made the son unhappy?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)