|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the son asks the father if he is dying, they stop to rest and set up camp -- how many days do they stay in this same spot?
2. What does the son think is inside the nice house?
3. Things are not going well for the father and son -- what are they running out of?
4. What does the son do while at the location after the gas station?
5. In Chapter 36, the father and son come to a nice house -- why does the father worry about going inside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
2. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
3. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
4. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
5. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
6. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
7. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
8. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
9. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
10. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The father insists that there are good and bad guys in the world, leading the reader to believe a "bad" group of people are responsible for the destruction. How are good people set apart from bad people in the story? What are the major characteristics that good people have that bad people don't? How does the father distinguish between the good and bad people?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of description in The Road. Discuss how the author uses narration, dialogue, and imagery to bring his novel to life, citing examples from the text. Compare the description in this novel to another novel the class has read.
Essay Topic 3
The father always puts the son's needs before his own, as he wants so desperately for his son to have a better life. Examine the theme of love in the The Road.
Part 1) What does having unconditional love mean?
Part 2) How does his love for his son cause him to make rash decisions?
Part 3) Compare the father's love for his son to the son's love for his father.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)