|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father find in a gas station that helps him to know where they are?
2. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
3. How many days do the father and son stay in the nice house?
4. What does the father say about their first night back on the road?
5. Before leaving the house and barn, the father and son collect more _______ before they head back on the road.
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
2. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
3. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
4. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
5. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
6. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
7. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
8. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
9. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
10. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of fear, particularly the father's fear of the boy growing up. Cite examples from the text that demonstrate the father's fears. Why is the father so fearful of the son growing up?
Essay Topic 2
The father always puts the son's needs before his own, as he wants so desperately for his son to have a better life. Examine the theme of love in the The Road.
Part 1) What does having unconditional love mean?
Part 2) How does his love for his son cause him to make rash decisions?
Part 3) Compare the father's love for his son to the son's love for his father.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of hope throughout the novel: hope for a better world, hope that there are still good people out there. Give some examples from the text that demonstrate the father and son's hope. How is the story ended with a hint of hope? How can hope for a better tomorrow encourage someone through a hard time?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)