|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the father and son find inside the hidden cellar?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where do the father and son sleep?
3. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
4. After the father finds his son, who had wandered off while he was asleep, what does the son tell the father he has found?
5. How does the weather change once the father and son leave the house and barn and are back on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
2. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
3. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
4. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
5. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
6. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
7. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
8. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
9. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
10. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Road, the cities are deserted or destroyed, plant life is gone, animals have disappeared. Something catastrophic has happened to the world. Examine the conflict of Person vs. Nature, citing examples from the text that demonstrate how the characters are up against the forces of nature.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of reliance in The Road.
Part 1) What does reliance mean? What are some examples of reliance from the book?
Part 2) What does the father rely on the son for?
Part 3) Discuss how reliance can be a good and bad thing.
Essay Topic 3
The setting in The Road is vital to the whole tone of the story. Analyze the use of setting in The Road.
Part 1) How did Cormac McCarthy describe his setting?
Part 2) How is the setting almost considered a character in the story?
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel -- was the setting simple or complex?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)