|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father carries his son across a field, but he has to stop every _____ steps.
2. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
3. As the father leads the son to the hidden cellar, what does the father tell his son that good guys do not give in to?
4. Once the father fills his basket and begins to leave the house, what does he look back and realize is by the house?
5. After leaving their camp, what does the father spy some boys burning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
2. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 21 after the father breaks open a locked pantry door.
3. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
4. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
5. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
6. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
7. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
8. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
9. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
10. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of extinction or "the end of the world." How has near extinction caused humans to act in The Road? Would people really react this way? What are signs that the earth has been mistreated? Are there any signs that the earth is healing itself?
Essay Topic 2
The father always puts the son's needs before his own, as he wants so desperately for his son to have a better life. Examine the theme of love in the The Road.
Part 1) What does having unconditional love mean?
Part 2) How does his love for his son cause him to make rash decisions?
Part 3) Compare the father's love for his son to the son's love for his father.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbol of innocence and how it pertains to the son in The Road. Why is the son's innocence so important to the father? Why wouldn't he rather have his son toughen up? Is the son's innocence a symbol of what has been lost in the world?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)