|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the father and son feeling when they leave the hidden cellar?
2. What do the father and son find inside the hidden cellar?
3. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
4. After the father and son finish the last of their food supply, what does the son ask the father about eating?
5. How does the son feel about entering the nice house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
2. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
3. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
4. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
5. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
6. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
7. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
8. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
9. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
10. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 21 after the father breaks open a locked pantry door.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The father always puts the son's needs before his own, as he wants so desperately for his son to have a better life. Examine the theme of love in the The Road.
Part 1) What does having unconditional love mean?
Part 2) How does his love for his son cause him to make rash decisions?
Part 3) Compare the father's love for his son to the son's love for his father.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of trust and mistrust in the The Road, also explaining how it affects the son. The father's mistrust of others does keep them safe; however, does it also hold them back? Has the father's mistrust of others made the son naïve about their current situation? How has the father's mistrust of others made the son unhappy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the theme of survival, citing examples from the text of the different types of survival. Who is more disposed to surviving against the elements -- the father or the son? What motivates the father to survive versus the son
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)