|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the father fills his basket and begins to leave the house, what does he look back and realize is by the house?
2. After leaving the hidden cellar and stopping for the night, the son asks the father a question -- how does the father answer?
3. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
4. After leaving the gas station, the father and son continue along the road -- how many men stop them?
5. What does the son do while at the location after the gas station?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
2. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
3. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
4. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
5. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
6. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
7. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
8. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
9. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
10. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Road, the cities are deserted or destroyed, plant life is gone, animals have disappeared. Something catastrophic has happened to the world. Examine the conflict of Person vs. Nature, citing examples from the text that demonstrate how the characters are up against the forces of nature.
Essay Topic 2
Although the landscape and destruction are mentioned, the author never explains what caused the devastation. Explore the cause of this devastation, refer to the clues that are provided to the reader.
• How does the landscape suggest an epidemic -- could it be environmental, caused by man through war, or both?
• Why is it difficult to truly assess the situation of the world, and how is the father an unreliable witness?
• How does not explaining the disaster add to the paranoia and confusion that the reader feels from the father?
Essay Topic 3
The man and the boy isolate themselves in The Road by hiding in the woods, and they are constantly on the lookout for others while they travel. Analyze the theme of isolation in the novel, and explain how this isolation affects the son, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)