Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
2. What do the father and son find inside the hidden cellar?
3. How many days do the father and son stay in the nice house?
4. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
5. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
Essay Topic 1
From the very beginning of The Road, the author does not give the father and son names, he gives them the generic labels of "the man or father" and "the boy or son."
Part 1) Why did the author choose not to give his characters names?
Part 2) How do the characters' basic names of "the man" and "the boy" affect the way the reader relates to them?
Part 3) How would the reader view the text if the characters had been given names?
Essay Topic 2
The man and the boy isolate themselves in The Road by hiding in the woods, and they are constantly on the lookout for others while they travel. Analyze the theme of isolation in the novel, and explain how this isolation affects the son, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of reliance in The Road.
Part 1) What does reliance mean? What are some examples of reliance from the book?
Part 2) What does the father rely on the son for?
Part 3) Discuss how reliance can be a good and bad thing.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)