|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the father get the son to enter the nice house?
2. Before leaving the house and barn, the father and son collect more _______ before they head back on the road.
3. What does the father find in the nice house that he thinks could be poison?
4. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
5. After exploring the house the father heads back outside -- what does he find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
2. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
3. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
4. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
5. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
6. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
7. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
8. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
9. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
10. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Road, the cities are deserted or destroyed, plant life is gone, animals have disappeared. Something catastrophic has happened to the world. Examine the conflict of Person vs. Nature, citing examples from the text that demonstrate how the characters are up against the forces of nature.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of reliance in The Road.
Part 1) What does reliance mean? What are some examples of reliance from the book?
Part 2) What does the father rely on the son for?
Part 3) Discuss how reliance can be a good and bad thing.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of hope throughout the novel: hope for a better world, hope that there are still good people out there. Give some examples from the text that demonstrate the father and son's hope. How is the story ended with a hint of hope? How can hope for a better tomorrow encourage someone through a hard time?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)