|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although they have no food and all they eat is snow, what does the father continue to tell the son?
2. Why does the father not want to stay in the hidden cellar?
3. After the father finds his son, who had wandered off while he was asleep, what does the son tell the father he has found?
4. In Chapter 36, the father and son come to a nice house -- why does the father worry about going inside?
5. The next town the father and son come to they find a nice looking house -- what do they find inside a locked pantry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
2. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
3. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
4. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
5. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
6. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
7. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
8. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
9. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
10. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the very beginning of The Road, the author does not give the father and son names, he gives them the generic labels of "the man or father" and "the boy or son."
Part 1) Why did the author choose not to give his characters names?
Part 2) How do the characters' basic names of "the man" and "the boy" affect the way the reader relates to them?
Part 3) How would the reader view the text if the characters had been given names?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of trust and mistrust in the The Road, also explaining how it affects the son. The father's mistrust of others does keep them safe; however, does it also hold them back? Has the father's mistrust of others made the son naïve about their current situation? How has the father's mistrust of others made the son unhappy?
Essay Topic 3
Although the landscape and destruction are mentioned, the author never explains what caused the devastation. Explore the cause of this devastation, refer to the clues that are provided to the reader.
• How does the landscape suggest an epidemic -- could it be environmental, caused by man through war, or both?
• Why is it difficult to truly assess the situation of the world, and how is the father an unreliable witness?
• How does not explaining the disaster add to the paranoia and confusion that the reader feels from the father?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)