|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
2. In Chapter 35, how is the son starting to change?
3. The next town the father and son come to they find a nice looking house -- what do they find inside a locked pantry?
4. The morning after sleeping on the road, what do the father and son do because the father is worried about their tracks?
5. Things are not going well for the father and son -- what are they running out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
2. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
3. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
4. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
5. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
6. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
7. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
8. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
9. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
10. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of fear, particularly the father's fear of the boy growing up. Cite examples from the text that demonstrate the father's fears. Why is the father so fearful of the son growing up?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of death in The Road. How are the father and son dealing with the thought of death? How does the son's view of death compare to the father's? Is the son naive about death?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of extinction or "the end of the world." How has near extinction caused humans to act in The Road? Would people really react this way? What are signs that the earth has been mistreated? Are there any signs that the earth is healing itself?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)