|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the father and son find in the nice house?
2. While on the beach, why does the father need to warm the son up with a fire and food?
3. Things are not going well for the father and son -- what are they running out of?
4. When the father and son stop for the night after leaving the hidden cellar, what does the son ask the father?
5. After leaving the nice house, the father and son come to a gas station -- what do they find there?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the theme of survival, citing examples from the text of the different types of survival. Who is more disposed to surviving against the elements -- the father or the son? What motivates the father to survive versus the son
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of description in The Road. Discuss how the author uses narration, dialogue, and imagery to bring his novel to life, citing examples from the text. Compare the description in this novel to another novel the class has read.
Essay Topic 3
The father insists that there are good and bad guys in the world, leading the reader to believe a "bad" group of people are responsible for the destruction. How are good people set apart from bad people in the story? What are the major characteristics that good people have that bad people don't? How does the father distinguish between the good and bad people?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)