|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the father finds his son, who had wandered off while he was asleep, what does the son tell the father he has found?
2. What does the father find in the nice house that he thinks could be poison?
3. Near the tool shed, the father uncovers a locked trap door to a hidden cellar -- how does the son react?
4. What does the son think is inside the nice house?
5. After spying on the people walking by, further down the road the father and son see a fire and smell food -- what do the they find cooking on the fire?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the theme of survival, citing examples from the text of the different types of survival. Who is more disposed to surviving against the elements -- the father or the son? What motivates the father to survive versus the son
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of repetition of problems and how it sets the tone for the book. How does the repetition of these problems create a bleak feeling throughout the book? How does this repetition help make their situation seem hopeless? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbol of innocence and how it pertains to the son in The Road. Why is the son's innocence so important to the father? Why wouldn't he rather have his son toughen up? Is the son's innocence a symbol of what has been lost in the world?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)