|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the cart in a parking lot, where do the father and son walk to?
2. After looking for things to enhance their cart, what do the father and son do?
3. Along the road, the father and son spy a group of people climbing out of a truck -- what are the people wearing?
4. What does the boy find when they take things from the cart?
5. What has happened to the woman that the father has a dream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of a game that the father and son play together.
2. Explain what is revealed in Chapter 15 about the father's wife.
3. Explain what the father does in Chapters 11-15 that accentuates his paranoia, citing an example.
4. Give an example from Chapter 11 where the father demonstrates his love for his son.
5. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
6. Give an example that demonstrates the father's stubbornness and how he has somewhat lost touch with reality.
7. Explain why the father is so overprotective of the son.
8. Describe a recurring theme throughout Chapters 16 through 20.
9. Explain how the father demonstrates perseverance in Chapters 16 through 20.
10. After traveling through the mountains, explain how the father knows he and his son have reached their destination.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of repetition of problems and how it sets the tone for the book. How does the repetition of these problems create a bleak feeling throughout the book? How does this repetition help make their situation seem hopeless? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the father's psychological state and how it pertains to the story. How does his mental state affect the decisions that he makes? Are these decisions helping or hurting himself and his son?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the novel and analyze how it affects the story. How has this technique affected the plot of the story? Cite examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)