|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the father and son find that they use to make cakes?
2. What do the father and the son find in a smokehouse?
3. After passing the stone wall, what do the father and son hear that makes them hide?
4. Despite his son's protests, what does the father do to the son after the person approaches him in the inhabited village?
5. The father and son come to a stone wall -- what is hanging from the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example from Chapter 11 where the father demonstrates his love for his son.
2. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
3. Give one example from Chapter 5 that demonstrates how the father is not functioning well psychologically.
4. Explain what the father says about the States road.
5. Explain how the father demonstrates perseverance in Chapters 16 through 20.
6. Describe how food is constantly a struggle, comparing how the father and son manage their food.
7. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
8. Recall a situation in the text that demonstrates how the son has becomes immune to the sight of death.
9. Describe two things that the father and son see along their journey in Chapters 16 through 20.
10. Describe how the father restricts the son from his humanitarian instincts.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of fear, particularly the father's fear of the boy growing up. Cite examples from the text that demonstrate the father's fears. Why is the father so fearful of the son growing up?
Essay Topic 2
In The Road, the cities are deserted or destroyed, plant life is gone, animals have disappeared. Something catastrophic has happened to the world. Examine the conflict of Person vs. Nature, citing examples from the text that demonstrate how the characters are up against the forces of nature.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death in The Road. How are the father and son dealing with the thought of death? How does the son's view of death compare to the father's? Is the son naive about death?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)