Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the first location visited in Chapter 1, the father and son reach a city -- why does the father presume there is no life there?
2. At the end of Chapter 8, what does the father cough up?
3. What does the son find in his pocket that the father and son share?
4. At the end of Chapter 10, what do the father and son find?
5. In Chapter 11, how would the father and son describe the dinner that they prepared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the son is starting to behave in Chapter 41, citing examples from the text.
2. Describe how the son is more capable of surviving than his father.
3. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
4. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
5. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
6. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
7. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
8. Explain why the father is so overprotective of the son.
9. Give an example that demonstrates the father's stubbornness and how he has somewhat lost touch with reality.
10. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of reliance in The Road.
Part 1) What does reliance mean? What are some examples of reliance from the book?
Part 2) What does the father rely on the son for?
Part 3) Discuss how reliance can be a good and bad thing.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of extinction or "the end of the world." How has near extinction caused humans to act in The Road? Would people really react this way? What are signs that the earth has been mistreated? Are there any signs that the earth is healing itself?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death in The Road. How are the father and son dealing with the thought of death? How does the son's view of death compare to the father's? Is the son naive about death?
This section contains 1,878 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)