|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father and son eventually find somewhere dry to sleep in the woods, but what wakes them up in the middle of the night and causes them to run?
2. What does the boy find when they take things from the cart?
3. The father wakes from a dream and claims dreaming is not good -- what was he dreaming about?
4. In Chapter 11, how would the father and son describe the dinner that they prepared?
5. What do the father and son discover in a doorway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when the father and son arrive at the father's old house.
2. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
3. Recall an example from the first few chapters of the novel that demonstrates the son's concern with mortality.
4. Recall from Chapter 5 what the father remembers his wife telling him about his son.
5. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
6. After traveling through the mountains, explain how the father knows he and his son have reached their destination.
7. Explain how the author's descriptions and use of language set the tone for the rest of the novel.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 11, describe where the father and son bathe and what they eat for dinner.
9. Explain why the father is so overprotective of the son.
10. Explain why it is difficult for the reader to truly assess how bad things are in the world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of repetition of problems and how it sets the tone for the book. How does the repetition of these problems create a bleak feeling throughout the book? How does this repetition help make their situation seem hopeless? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of reliance in The Road.
Part 1) What does reliance mean? What are some examples of reliance from the book?
Part 2) What does the father rely on the son for?
Part 3) Discuss how reliance can be a good and bad thing.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of death in The Road. How are the father and son dealing with the thought of death? How does the son's view of death compare to the father's? Is the son naive about death?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)