|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the son think is close by the barn?
2. The day after the father and son make cakes, what happens when the son calls out to the person who approaches him?
3. What are the father and son running out of as they travel?
4. The father and son eventually find somewhere dry to sleep in the woods, but what wakes them up in the middle of the night and causes them to run?
5. The night after the incident with the man on the road, the father has a dream -- what does he dream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the father demonstrates perseverance in Chapters 16 through 20.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, describe where the father and son bathe and what they eat for dinner.
3. Describe what happens when the father and son arrive at the father's old house.
4. Explain why the father is so overprotective of the son.
5. Explain why it is difficult for the reader to truly assess how bad things are in the world.
6. Give one example from Chapter 5 that demonstrates how the father is not functioning well psychologically.
7. Recall from Chapter 5 what the father remembers his wife telling him about his son.
8. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
9. Explain how the author's descriptions and use of language set the tone for the rest of the novel.
10. Explain what the father says about the States road.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of fear, particularly the father's fear of the boy growing up. Cite examples from the text that demonstrate the father's fears. Why is the father so fearful of the son growing up?
Essay Topic 2
From the very beginning of The Road, the author does not give the father and son names, he gives them the generic labels of "the man or father" and "the boy or son."
Part 1) Why did the author choose not to give his characters names?
Part 2) How do the characters' basic names of "the man" and "the boy" affect the way the reader relates to them?
Part 3) How would the reader view the text if the characters had been given names?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of extinction or "the end of the world." How has near extinction caused humans to act in The Road? Would people really react this way? What are signs that the earth has been mistreated? Are there any signs that the earth is healing itself?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)