|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the father and son sleeping at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What do the father and child use to carry their possessions?
3. What lands on the son's hand at the end of Chapter 4?
4. What do the father and son do after their discovery in the trailer?
5. How does the son feel about how his father has treated the man who has collapsed on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
2. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
3. Explain what happens in Chapter 16 when a little boy comes up to the son.
4. Describe what happens when the father and son find their cart and analyze how this situation changes their relationship.
5. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
6. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
7. Describe how the father reacts when the son falls ill.
8. Explain why it is difficult for the reader to truly assess how bad things are in the world.
9. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
10. Recall the items that the father finds inside the abandoned boat in Chapter 41.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the landscape and destruction are mentioned, the author never explains what caused the devastation. Explore the cause of this devastation, refer to the clues that are provided to the reader.
• How does the landscape suggest an epidemic -- could it be environmental, caused by man through war, or both?
• Why is it difficult to truly assess the situation of the world, and how is the father an unreliable witness?
• How does not explaining the disaster add to the paranoia and confusion that the reader feels from the father?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of death in The Road. How are the father and son dealing with the thought of death? How does the son's view of death compare to the father's? Is the son naive about death?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of fear, particularly the father's fear of the boy growing up. Cite examples from the text that demonstrate the father's fears. Why is the father so fearful of the son growing up?
This section contains 1,822 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)