|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father find at the supermarket that he gives to the son?
2. What has happened to the woman that the father has a dream about?
3. What does the father claim about his memory from his childhood?
4. At the first location in Chapter 1, what does the father try calling?
5. After leaving the first location in Chapter 1, what do the father and son turn back to get?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how food is constantly a struggle, comparing how the father and son manage their food.
2. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
3. Recall an example from the first few chapters of the novel that demonstrates the son's concern with mortality.
4. Give one example from Chapter 5 that demonstrates how the father is not functioning well psychologically.
5. After traveling through the mountains, explain how the father knows he and his son have reached their destination.
6. Explain how the father demonstrates perseverance in Chapters 16 through 20.
7. Recall from Chapter 5 what the father remembers his wife telling him about his son.
8. Give an example that demonstrates the father's stubbornness and how he has somewhat lost touch with reality.
9. Recall what question the son asks the father repeatedly and relate it to the father's coughing fits.
10. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of hope throughout the novel: hope for a better world, hope that there are still good people out there. Give some examples from the text that demonstrate the father and son's hope. How is the story ended with a hint of hope? How can hope for a better tomorrow encourage someone through a hard time?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of death in The Road. How are the father and son dealing with the thought of death? How does the son's view of death compare to the father's? Is the son naive about death?
Essay Topic 3
The setting in The Road is vital to the whole tone of the story. Analyze the use of setting in The Road.
Part 1) How did Cormac McCarthy describe his setting?
Part 2) How is the setting almost considered a character in the story?
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel -- was the setting simple or complex?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)