|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the father and child use to carry their possessions?
2. What happens to the son when the man reaches their hiding spot?
3. What time is it when the father and son make their way down to the city?
4. What does the father do when one of the men they are spying on walks toward their hiding place?
5. The son asks the father if they are going to die -- what is the father's reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the father's belief in God.
2. Explain how the author's descriptions and use of language set the tone for the rest of the novel.
3. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
4. Explain what happens in Chapter 16 when a little boy comes up to the son.
5. Give an example from Chapter 11 where the father demonstrates his love for his son.
6. Recall a situation in the text that demonstrates how the son has becomes immune to the sight of death.
7. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
8. Recall from Chapter 5 what the father remembers his wife telling him about his son.
9. Describe how food is constantly a struggle, comparing how the father and son manage their food.
10. Explain how the father is failing his son.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of fear, particularly the father's fear of the boy growing up. Cite examples from the text that demonstrate the father's fears. Why is the father so fearful of the son growing up?
Essay Topic 2
Although the landscape and destruction are mentioned, the author never explains what caused the devastation. Explore the cause of this devastation, refer to the clues that are provided to the reader.
• How does the landscape suggest an epidemic -- could it be environmental, caused by man through war, or both?
• Why is it difficult to truly assess the situation of the world, and how is the father an unreliable witness?
• How does not explaining the disaster add to the paranoia and confusion that the reader feels from the father?
Essay Topic 3
The man and the boy isolate themselves in The Road by hiding in the woods, and they are constantly on the lookout for others while they travel. Analyze the theme of isolation in the novel, and explain how this isolation affects the son, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)