|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the father and son do when they reach the city?
2. After leaving the cart in a parking lot, where do the father and son walk to?
3. As it becomes increasingly cold, what does the father begin to wonder?
4. Where are the father and son sleeping at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. Along the road, what do the father and son encounter that makes them stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what question the son asks the father repeatedly and relate it to the father's coughing fits.
2. Give an example of a game that the father and son play together.
3. Recall a situation in the text that demonstrates how the son has becomes immune to the sight of death.
4. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
5. Give an example that demonstrates the father's stubbornness and how he has somewhat lost touch with reality.
6. Give one example from Chapter 5 that demonstrates how the father is not functioning well psychologically.
7. Describe two things that the father and son see along their journey in Chapters 16 through 20.
8. Describe what happens when the father and son arrive at the father's old house.
9. Explain what the father does in Chapters 11-15 that accentuates his paranoia, citing an example.
10. Recall an example from the first few chapters of the novel that demonstrates the son's concern with mortality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the novel and analyze how it affects the story. How has this technique affected the plot of the story? Cite examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In The Road, the cities are deserted or destroyed, plant life is gone, animals have disappeared. Something catastrophic has happened to the world. Examine the conflict of Person vs. Nature, citing examples from the text that demonstrate how the characters are up against the forces of nature.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of hope throughout the novel: hope for a better world, hope that there are still good people out there. Give some examples from the text that demonstrate the father and son's hope. How is the story ended with a hint of hope? How can hope for a better tomorrow encourage someone through a hard time?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)