|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the father and son do when they reach the city?
2. Why is the son becoming increasingly cold?
3. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the father claim about the men of the world?
4. How is the weather when the father and son reach the city?
5. What happens to the son when the man reaches their hiding spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give one example from Chapter 5 that demonstrates how the father is not functioning well psychologically.
2. Analyze the son's dream about the toy penguin.
3. Explain how the author's descriptions and use of language set the tone for the rest of the novel.
4. Describe how the father restricts the son from his humanitarian instincts.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 11, describe where the father and son bathe and what they eat for dinner.
6. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
7. Explain how the father demonstrates perseverance in Chapters 16 through 20.
8. Recall an example from the first few chapters of the novel that demonstrates the son's concern with mortality.
9. Describe what happens when the father and son arrive at the father's old house.
10. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the theme of survival, citing examples from the text of the different types of survival. Who is more disposed to surviving against the elements -- the father or the son? What motivates the father to survive versus the son
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of fear, particularly the father's fear of the boy growing up. Cite examples from the text that demonstrate the father's fears. Why is the father so fearful of the son growing up?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of overprotection in the book and how it pertains to the father and son's relationship. Is the father's overprotection justified or needless?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)