|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After looking for things to enhance their cart, what do the father and son do?
2. How does the son feel about how his father has treated the man who has collapsed on the road?
3. In Chapter 11, what do the father and son do before returning to the woods?
4. What does the father decide to do about the man who has collapsed on the road?
5. What does the father claim about his memory from his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall a situation in the text that demonstrates how the son has becomes immune to the sight of death.
2. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
3. Analyze the son's dream about the toy penguin.
4. Explain how the author's descriptions and use of language set the tone for the rest of the novel.
5. Describe the father's belief in God.
6. Recall an example from the first few chapters of the novel that demonstrates the son's concern with mortality.
7. Explain what happens in Chapter 16 when a little boy comes up to the son.
8. Describe what happens when the father and son arrive at the father's old house.
9. Explain why the father is so overprotective of the son.
10. After traveling through the mountains, explain how the father knows he and his son have reached their destination.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of trust and mistrust in the The Road, also explaining how it affects the son. The father's mistrust of others does keep them safe; however, does it also hold them back? Has the father's mistrust of others made the son naïve about their current situation? How has the father's mistrust of others made the son unhappy?
Essay Topic 2
The father always puts the son's needs before his own, as he wants so desperately for his son to have a better life. Examine the theme of love in the The Road.
Part 1) What does having unconditional love mean?
Part 2) How does his love for his son cause him to make rash decisions?
Part 3) Compare the father's love for his son to the son's love for his father.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of reliance in The Road.
Part 1) What does reliance mean? What are some examples of reliance from the book?
Part 2) What does the father rely on the son for?
Part 3) Discuss how reliance can be a good and bad thing.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)