|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 8, what does the father cough up?
2. What type of games do the father and son play?
3. Along the road, what do the father and son encounter that makes them stop?
4. At the end of Chapter 10, what do the father and son find?
5. How is the weather when the father and son reach the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, describe where the father and son bathe and what they eat for dinner.
2. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
3. Describe two things that the father and son see along their journey in Chapters 16 through 20.
4. Describe the father's belief in God.
5. Recall the items that the father finds inside the abandoned boat in Chapter 41.
6. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
7. Describe what happens when the father and son arrive at the father's old house.
8. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
9. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
10. Describe how the father restricts the son from his humanitarian instincts.
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of fear, particularly the father's fear of the boy growing up. Cite examples from the text that demonstrate the father's fears. Why is the father so fearful of the son growing up?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of extinction or "the end of the world." How has near extinction caused humans to act in The Road? Would people really react this way? What are signs that the earth has been mistreated? Are there any signs that the earth is healing itself?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the father's psychological state and how it pertains to the story. How does his mental state affect the decisions that he makes? Are these decisions helping or hurting himself and his son?
This section contains 1,735 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)