|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While traveling, why do the father and son leave their fires alight?
2. What does the father claim could happen to himself and his son if they get wet?
3. What does the father tell the son has happened to the man who collapses in the road?
4. What season is approaching that has the father worried?
5. What is the father doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how food is constantly a struggle, comparing how the father and son manage their food.
2. Explain what the father says about the States road.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 11, describe where the father and son bathe and what they eat for dinner.
4. Describe how the father restricts the son from his humanitarian instincts.
5. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
6. Give an example from Chapter 11 where the father demonstrates his love for his son.
7. Describe what happens when the father and son arrive at the father's old house.
8. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
9. Explain how the author's descriptions and use of language set the tone for the rest of the novel.
10. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of hope throughout the novel: hope for a better world, hope that there are still good people out there. Give some examples from the text that demonstrate the father and son's hope. How is the story ended with a hint of hope? How can hope for a better tomorrow encourage someone through a hard time?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the father's psychological state and how it pertains to the story. How does his mental state affect the decisions that he makes? Are these decisions helping or hurting himself and his son?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of description in The Road. Discuss how the author uses narration, dialogue, and imagery to bring his novel to life, citing examples from the text. Compare the description in this novel to another novel the class has read.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)