|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the son when the man reaches their hiding spot?
2. What has happened to the woman that the father has a dream about?
3. After leaving the first location visited in Chapter 1, the father and son reach a city -- why does the father presume there is no life there?
4. At the end of Chapter 8, what does the father cough up?
5. The father and son come to a stone wall -- what is hanging from the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
2. Describe how the father reacts when the son falls ill.
3. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
4. Explain how the father is failing his son.
5. Describe how the son is more capable of surviving than his father.
6. Explain how the father demonstrates perseverance in Chapters 16 through 20.
7. Give an example of a game that the father and son play together.
8. Describe two things that the father and son see along their journey in Chapters 16 through 20.
9. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
10. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
Essay Topic 1
The father insists that there are good and bad guys in the world, leading the reader to believe a "bad" group of people are responsible for the destruction. How are good people set apart from bad people in the story? What are the major characteristics that good people have that bad people don't? How does the father distinguish between the good and bad people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of survival, citing examples from the text of the different types of survival. Who is more disposed to surviving against the elements -- the father or the son? What motivates the father to survive versus the son
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of extinction or "the end of the world." How has near extinction caused humans to act in The Road? Would people really react this way? What are signs that the earth has been mistreated? Are there any signs that the earth is healing itself?
This section contains 1,943 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)