|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the hidden cellar and stopping for the night, the son asks the father a question -- how does the father answer?
(a) The father tells the son he cannot see the gun.
(b) The father tells him they will eat stuff from the cellar.
(c) The father asks where the son has heard such a term.
(d) The father tells the son they will not be going back to the hidden cellar.
2. What does the son talk about as they leave the hidden cellar?
(a) How he wishes he was back in the cellar.
(b) Spaceships and traveling to Mars.
(c) Card games.
(d) How tired and hungry he is.
3. After leaving the gas station, what do the men that stop the father and son want?
(a) The men demand that the father hand over the son.
(b) The men want the father and son's shoes.
(c) The men ask what the father and son have in their cart.
(d) The men want the father and son to give them their clothes.
4. After the father and son finish the last of their food supply, what does the son ask the father about eating?
(a) If they will ever have to eat a human.
(b) If they will ever have to eat a cat.
(c) If they will ever have to eat a horse.
(d) If they will ever have to eat a dog.
5. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
(a) Eating berries from a nearby bush.
(b) Sitting in an abandoned car.
(c) Rushing across the field.
(d) Bathing in a nearby creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 36, how many days has it been since the father and son have eaten?
2. After resting in the truck, the father and son find a house -- what does the father find in a tool shed?
3. Where do the father and son travel to after leaving the gas station?
4. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
5. While on the beach, why does the father need to warm the son up with a fire and food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
2. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
3. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
4. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
5. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
6. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
7. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
8. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
9. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
10. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)