|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After they leave the men on the road, why does the son ask the father if he is dying?
(a) He cannot walk.
(b) His vision is getting blurry.
(c) His cough is getting bad.
(d) He is bleeding.
2. After leaving the hidden cellar and stopping for the night, the son asks the father a question -- how does the father answer?
(a) The father tells the son they will not be going back to the hidden cellar.
(b) The father tells him they will eat stuff from the cellar.
(c) The father asks where the son has heard such a term.
(d) The father tells the son he cannot see the gun.
3. The father sees a house and decides to explore it while his son sleeps -- what does he leave beside the boy?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A warm fire.
(c) A plate of food.
(d) A jug of water.
4. Once the father fills his basket and begins to leave the house, what does he look back and realize is by the house?
(a) A cistern of fresh water.
(b) A pile of dead bodies.
(c) A tank of gasoline.
(d) An abandoned car.
5. How does the father get the son to enter the nice house?
(a) He reassures the son.
(b) He picks up the son and carries him.
(c) He yells at the son.
(d) He begs the son.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the weather change once the father and son leave the house and barn and are back on the road?
2. When the father and son stop for the night after leaving the hidden cellar, what does the son ask the father?
3. As the father leads the son to the hidden cellar, what does the father tell his son that good guys do not give in to?
4. After exploring the house the father heads back outside -- what does he find?
5. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
2. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
3. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
4. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
5. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
6. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
7. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
8. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
9. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
10. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)