|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the father find in a gas station that helps him to know where they are?
(a) The address on the gas station's door.
(b) A sign.
(c) A telephone directory.
(d) He recognizes the gas station as one from his childhood.
2. What does the father make with some bottles and gasoline?
(d) A fire.
3. What does the father find in the nice house that he thinks could be poison?
(a) Tins of food.
(d) Freeze-dried food.
4. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
(a) A cow and a bag of potatoes.
(b) Two goats and a bag of wheat.
(c) A dead body and a basket of peaches.
(d) Bales of hay and corn seeds.
5. After the father and son hide from the people walking towards the nice house, why does the father give the son a gun?
(a) To shoot the father if the people find them.
(b) To kill himself if the people find them.
(c) To defend himself if the people find them.
(d) To hide the gun if the people find them.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father and son comb the beach -- what do they find?
2. What do the father and son find in the nice house?
3. What does the father find inside the barn that he eats?
4. How does the father get the son to enter the nice house?
5. What does the son think is inside the nice house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
2. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
3. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 21 after the father breaks open a locked pantry door.
4. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
5. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
6. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
7. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
8. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
9. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
10. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)