|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the nice house, the father and son come to a gas station -- what do they find there?
(b) A bag of chips.
(c) A couple candy bars.
(d) Root beer.
2. What does the father find in a gas station that helps him to know where they are?
(a) He recognizes the gas station as one from his childhood.
(b) The address on the gas station's door.
(c) A sign.
(d) A telephone directory.
3. What does the son do while at the location after the gas station?
(a) He takes a nap.
(b) He goes for a run.
(c) He looks for rocks.
(d) He goes swimming.
4. The old man that the father and son meet on the road stays with them for the night -- what do the father and the old man talk about?
(a) About where they should head next on their journey.
(b) About God, in whom the old man says he puts all his faith.
(c) About God, in whom the old man says he no longer believes.
(d) About how the world used to before.
5. How far away are the father and son from where the father thought they actually were?
(a) Fifty miles.
(b) Thirty miles.
(c) Hundred miles.
(d) Twenty miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the father and son stop for the night after leaving the hidden cellar, what does the son ask the father?
2. What does the son think is inside the nice house?
3. Why does the father not want to stay in the hidden cellar?
4. While the father has another coughing fit, what does he think about?
5. Near the tool shed, the father uncovers a locked trap door to a hidden cellar -- how does the son react?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
2. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
3. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
4. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
5. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
6. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
7. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
8. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
9. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
10. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)