|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the barn, the father explores the house -- what does he find inside the house that's useful?
(a) A screwdriver.
(b) A wrench.
(c) A knife.
(d) A hammer.
2. Once the father fills his basket and begins to leave the house, what does he look back and realize is by the house?
(a) An abandoned car.
(b) A cistern of fresh water.
(c) A pile of dead bodies.
(d) A tank of gasoline.
3. What does the father wonder after seeing his son's reaction to finding the hidden cellar?
(a) How much more the son can take.
(b) How his son can cry so easily.
(c) Why the son runs away.
(d) Why the son is so excited.
4. What does the father find inside the barn that he eats?
(a) Corn seeds.
5. The father and son comb the beach -- what do they find?
(a) Bones of dead fish and cattle.
(b) A pile of human bodies.
(c) Bones of dead dogs.
(d) An old man.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the father has another coughing fit, what does he think about?
2. What does the father say when he and his son enter the hidden cellar?
3. What does the father find in a gas station that helps him to know where they are?
4. After the father and son finish the last of their food supply, what does the son ask the father about eating?
5. Why does the father not want to stay in the hidden cellar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
2. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
3. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
4. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
5. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
6. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
7. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
8. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
9. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
10. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)