|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the father and son find inside the hidden cellar?
(a) Hundreds of tins of food and drink, heating, and a second room with a toilet.
(b) Piles of bodies.
(c) Baskets of apples and a bed.
(d) Piles of clothes and shoes.
2. Things are not going well for the father and son -- what are they running out of?
3. What is unusual about the door to the house in Chapter 36?
(a) The door is missing on the house.
(b) It is barred shut with deadbolts.
(c) It is hanging off the hinges.
(d) It is propped open.
4. After they leave the men on the road, why does the son ask the father if he is dying?
(a) His vision is getting blurry.
(b) His cough is getting bad.
(c) He is bleeding.
(d) He cannot walk.
5. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
(a) Weeds and debris overrun the road so he thinks no one will come by.
(b) The road is deserted and he thinks no one will come by.
(c) The snow is so deep he thinks no one could possibly come by.
(d) The road is too rocky and he thinks no one will come by.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the father and son hide from the people walking towards the nice house, why does the father give the son a gun?
2. After the father and son run from the nice looking house and hide, how many people do they see walking towards the house?
3. Once the father fills his basket and begins to leave the house, what does he look back and realize is by the house?
4. How many days do the father and son stay in the nice house?
5. How does the father get the men that approach them on the road to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
2. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
3. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
4. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
5. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
6. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
7. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
8. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
9. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
10. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)