|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the gas station, the father and son continue along the road -- how many men stop them?
2. How does the father get the men that approach them on the road to leave?
(a) He begs with them to spare his son's life.
(b) He beats the men up.
(c) He asks them nicely to please leave.
(d) He pulls out his gun.
3. What does the father wonder after seeing his son's reaction to finding the hidden cellar?
(a) Why the son runs away.
(b) How his son can cry so easily.
(c) Why the son is so excited.
(d) How much more the son can take.
4. How does the son feel about entering the nice house?
5. After resting in the truck, the father and son find a house -- what does the father find in a tool shed?
(a) An ax.
(d) A dead body.
Short Answer Questions
1. The next town the father and son come to they find a nice looking house -- what do they find inside a locked pantry?
2. After the father and son hide from the people walking towards the nice house, why does the father give the son a gun?
3. The father carries his son across a field, but he has to stop every _____ steps.
4. While on the road, the father and son meet an old man -- what does the son beg his father to give the old man?
5. What do the father and son do the morning after the father finds the house and barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
2. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
3. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
4. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
5. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
6. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
7. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
8. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
9. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
10. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)