|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The father and son sit in a truck surrounded by billboards -- what does one of the billboards say?
(a) Advertises a cruise line.
(b) Advertises Coke.
(c) Warns of famine.
(d) Warns of death.
2. What does the father swim out to inspect while the son stays on the beach?
(a) A person drowning.
(b) A floating body.
(c) An abandoned boat.
(d) An abandoned life raft.
3. How does the father get the son to enter the nice house?
(a) He yells at the son.
(b) He reassures the son.
(c) He begs the son.
(d) He picks up the son and carries him.
4. After the father finds his son, who had wandered off while he was asleep, what does the son tell the father he has found?
(a) A bush with berries.
(b) A train.
(c) A creek.
(d) A car.
5. Once the father fills his basket and begins to leave the house, what does he look back and realize is by the house?
(a) A cistern of fresh water.
(b) An abandoned car.
(c) A tank of gasoline.
(d) A pile of dead bodies.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the father and son hide from the people walking towards the nice house, why does the father give the son a gun?
2. What does the father find inside the barn that he eats?
3. What does the son think is inside the nice house?
4. How does the son feel about the beach?
5. After resting in the truck, the father and son find a house -- what does the father find in a tool shed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
2. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
3. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
4. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
5. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
6. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
7. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
8. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
9. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
10. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)