|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
(a) Bales of hay and corn seeds.
(b) A dead body and a basket of peaches.
(c) A cow and a bag of potatoes.
(d) Two goats and a bag of wheat.
2. What do the father and son find in the nice house?
(a) Tins of food, clothes, and a wheelbarrow.
(b) Packets of freeze-dried food, a pillow, and a bike.
(c) A barrel of apples, blankets, and a backpack.
(d) Gallons of water, shoes, and a wagon.
3. The next town the father and son come to they find a nice looking house -- what do they find inside a locked pantry?
(a) Cans of food.
(b) A pile of dead chickens.
(c) Two starving children.
(d) Barely alive, naked people.
4. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
(a) The father keeps the fire going.
(b) Searches for food.
(c) Begins to cry quietly.
(d) Feels for the son's heartbeat.
5. After the father and son hide from the people walking towards the nice house, why does the father give the son a gun?
(a) To defend himself if the people find them.
(b) To hide the gun if the people find them.
(c) To shoot the father if the people find them.
(d) To kill himself if the people find them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father want to do with the food that he and his son find in the nice house?
2. How does the son feel about the beach?
3. What is unusual about the door to the house in Chapter 36?
4. After leaving the gas station, what do the men that stop the father and son want?
5. Near the tool shed, the father uncovers a locked trap door to a hidden cellar -- how does the son react?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 21 after the father breaks open a locked pantry door.
2. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
3. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
4. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
5. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
6. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
7. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
8. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
9. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
10. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)