|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides asking his father to start a fire while under the bridge, what else does the son ask the father?
(a) Why he did not shoot the people in the pantry.
(b) If they could not possibly have helped the people in the pantry.
(c) What they are going to eat for dinner.
(d) Where they will head next.
2. The father and son sit in a truck surrounded by billboards -- what does one of the billboards say?
(a) Advertises a cruise line.
(b) Warns of death.
(c) Advertises Coke.
(d) Warns of famine.
3. How does the weather change once the father and son leave the house and barn and are back on the road?
(a) It begins snowing.
(b) It begins hailing.
(c) The wind picks up.
(d) It begins raining.
4. What is unusual about the door to the house in Chapter 36?
(a) The door is missing on the house.
(b) It is propped open.
(c) It is hanging off the hinges.
(d) It is barred shut with deadbolts.
5. How does the son feel about his father going in the ocean?
Short Answer Questions
1. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
2. How does the son feel about entering the nice house?
3. After the father finds his son, who had wandered off while he was asleep, what does the son tell the father he has found?
4. What does the son talk about as they leave the hidden cellar?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 36, how many days has it been since the father and son have eaten?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
2. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
3. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
4. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
5. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
6. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
7. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
8. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
9. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
10. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)