|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After spying on the people walking by, further down the road the father and son see a fire and smell food -- what do the they find cooking on the fire?
(a) An infant.
(b) A snake.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A rat.
2. After leaving the barn, the father explores the house -- what does he find inside the house that's useful?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A wrench.
(c) A screwdriver.
(d) A knife.
3. What do the father and son do the morning after the father finds the house and barn?
(a) Hot wire the car and leave the house.
(b) Leave as quickly as possible.
(c) Sit on a blanket and eat peaches.
(d) Wrap themselves in blankets, eat apples, and drink the water.
4. What does the father want to do with the food that he and his son find in the nice house?
(a) Store the food in their cart.
(b) Cook the food really well.
(c) Throw the food away.
(d) Burn the food in a fire.
5. The father and son comb the beach -- what do they find?
(a) Bones of dead fish and cattle.
(b) Bones of dead dogs.
(c) An old man.
(d) A pile of human bodies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father wonder after seeing his son's reaction to finding the hidden cellar?
2. After leaving the hidden cellar and stopping for the night, the son asks the father a question -- how does the father answer?
3. How does the son feel about the beach?
4. The father carries his son across a field, but he has to stop every _____ steps.
5. Although they have no food and all they eat is snow, what does the father continue to tell the son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
2. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
3. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
4. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
5. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
6. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
7. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
8. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
9. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
10. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)