|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The father sees a house and decides to explore it while his son sleeps -- what does he leave beside the boy?
(a) A warm fire.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A plate of food.
(d) A jug of water.
2. After the father and son hide from the people walking towards the nice house, why does the father give the son a gun?
(a) To shoot the father if the people find them.
(b) To hide the gun if the people find them.
(c) To kill himself if the people find them.
(d) To defend himself if the people find them.
3. What does the father want to do with the food that he and his son find in the nice house?
(a) Throw the food away.
(b) Burn the food in a fire.
(c) Store the food in their cart.
(d) Cook the food really well.
4. How does the son feel about his father going in the ocean?
5. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
(a) A cow and a bag of potatoes.
(b) A dead body and a basket of peaches.
(c) Bales of hay and corn seeds.
(d) Two goats and a bag of wheat.
Short Answer Questions
1. The old man that the father and son meet on the road stays with them for the night -- what do the father and the old man talk about?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where do the father and son sleep?
3. After the father and son finish the last of their food supply, what does the son ask the father about eating?
4. While under the bridge, the son wants a fire, so why does the father not start one?
5. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
2. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
3. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
4. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
5. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 21 after the father breaks open a locked pantry door.
6. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
7. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
8. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
9. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
10. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)