|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
(a) Feels for the son's heartbeat.
(b) Searches for food.
(c) Begins to cry quietly.
(d) The father keeps the fire going.
2. The old man that the father and son meet on the road stays with them for the night -- what do the father and the old man talk about?
(a) About how the world used to before.
(b) About God, in whom the old man says he no longer believes.
(c) About God, in whom the old man says he puts all his faith.
(d) About where they should head next on their journey.
3. How does the son feel about entering the nice house?
4. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
(a) The road is deserted and he thinks no one will come by.
(b) The snow is so deep he thinks no one could possibly come by.
(c) Weeds and debris overrun the road so he thinks no one will come by.
(d) The road is too rocky and he thinks no one will come by.
5. Where do the father and son travel to after leaving the gas station?
(a) A hotel.
(b) The train station.
(c) The beach.
(d) An old amusement park.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
2. Why does the father not want to stay in the hidden cellar?
3. Things are not going well for the father and son -- what are they running out of?
4. Before leaving the house and barn, the father and son collect more _______ before they head back on the road.
5. What does the father wonder after seeing his son's reaction to finding the hidden cellar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
2. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
3. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
4. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
5. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
6. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 21 after the father breaks open a locked pantry door.
7. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
8. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
9. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
10. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)