|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After spying on the people walking by, further down the road the father and son see a fire and smell food -- what do the they find cooking on the fire?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A snake.
(c) A rat.
(d) An infant.
2. The father and son sit in a truck surrounded by billboards -- what does one of the billboards say?
(a) Advertises Coke.
(b) Warns of death.
(c) Warns of famine.
(d) Advertises a cruise line.
3. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
(a) The snow is so deep he thinks no one could possibly come by.
(b) The road is too rocky and he thinks no one will come by.
(c) The road is deserted and he thinks no one will come by.
(d) Weeds and debris overrun the road so he thinks no one will come by.
4. In Chapter 36, the father and son come to a nice house -- why does the father worry about going inside?
(a) They will waste too much time.
(b) There are dead bodies inside the house.
(c) The three people they met earlier may be inside.
(d) The house could have traps.
5. Although they have no food and all they eat is snow, what does the father continue to tell the son?
(a) They are not going to die.
(b) That they are almost to safety.
(c) That snow will keep them strong.
(d) They will find food.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the son asks the father if he is dying, they stop to rest and set up camp -- how many days do they stay in this same spot?
2. Before leaving the house and barn, the father and son collect more _______ before they head back on the road.
3. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
4. What does the father swim out to inspect while the son stays on the beach?
5. What does the father find in a gas station that helps him to know where they are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
2. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
3. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
4. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
5. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
6. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
7. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
8. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
9. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
10. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)