|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After exploring the house the father heads back outside -- what does he find?
2. How does the son feel about the beach?
(a) He wants to leave the beach tomorrow.
(b) He wants to leave the beach immediately.
(c) He wants to stay at the beach.
(d) He wants to stay a few days, but leave eventually.
3. What does the father say when he and his son enter the hidden cellar?
(a) "Thank the lord."
(b) "Oh my god."
(c) "Heaven help us."
(d) "This is the work of the devil."
4. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
(a) He tells the father that he knows he will die soon.
(b) He tells the father thanks for his kindness.
(c) He tells the father where to meet him in a few days.
(d) He tells the father he does not trust him.
5. What does the father find in a gas station that helps him to know where they are?
(a) A telephone directory.
(b) A sign.
(c) The address on the gas station's door.
(d) He recognizes the gas station as one from his childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the son think is inside the nice house?
2. After leaving their camp, what does the father spy some boys burning?
3. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
4. While the father has another coughing fit, what does he think about?
5. The old man that the father and son meet on the road stays with them for the night -- what do the father and the old man talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
2. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 21 after the father breaks open a locked pantry door.
3. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
4. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
5. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
6. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
7. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
8. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
9. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
10. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)