|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the father and son find inside the hidden cellar?
(a) Hundreds of tins of food and drink, heating, and a second room with a toilet.
(b) Piles of bodies.
(c) Baskets of apples and a bed.
(d) Piles of clothes and shoes.
2. How does the weather change once the father and son leave the house and barn and are back on the road?
(a) It begins snowing.
(b) It begins raining.
(c) It begins hailing.
(d) The wind picks up.
3. While under the bridge, the son wants a fire, so why does the father not start one?
(a) The father says they have no firewood.
(b) It would draw too much attention.
(c) The father feels hot and does not want a fire.
(d) He has lost the lighter.
4. What does the father wonder after seeing his son's reaction to finding the hidden cellar?
(a) How his son can cry so easily.
(b) How much more the son can take.
(c) Why the son runs away.
(d) Why the son is so excited.
5. How does the father get the men that approach them on the road to leave?
(a) He beats the men up.
(b) He asks them nicely to please leave.
(c) He begs with them to spare his son's life.
(d) He pulls out his gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father and son comb the beach -- what do they find?
2. After the father finds his son, who had wandered off while he was asleep, what does the son tell the father he has found?
3. Once the father fills his basket and begins to leave the house, what does he look back and realize is by the house?
4. Besides asking his father to start a fire while under the bridge, what else does the son ask the father?
5. What does the father make with some bottles and gasoline?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
2. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
3. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
4. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
5. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
6. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
7. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
8. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
9. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
10. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)