|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The old man that the father and son meet on the road stays with them for the night -- what do the father and the old man talk about?
(a) About God, in whom the old man says he puts all his faith.
(b) About where they should head next on their journey.
(c) About God, in whom the old man says he no longer believes.
(d) About how the world used to before.
2. How does the weather change once the father and son leave the house and barn and are back on the road?
(a) It begins raining.
(b) The wind picks up.
(c) It begins snowing.
(d) It begins hailing.
3. How does the son feel about the beach?
(a) He wants to stay a few days, but leave eventually.
(b) He wants to leave the beach tomorrow.
(c) He wants to leave the beach immediately.
(d) He wants to stay at the beach.
4. The father and son comb the beach -- what do they find?
(a) An old man.
(b) Bones of dead fish and cattle.
(c) Bones of dead dogs.
(d) A pile of human bodies.
5. How does the father get the son to enter the nice house?
(a) He begs the son.
(b) He picks up the son and carries him.
(c) He yells at the son.
(d) He reassures the son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although they have no food and all they eat is snow, what does the father continue to tell the son?
2. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
3. Besides asking his father to start a fire while under the bridge, what else does the son ask the father?
4. Near the tool shed, the father uncovers a locked trap door to a hidden cellar -- how does the son react?
5. After the father and son finish the last of their food supply, what does the son ask the father about eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the father gives the son a gun after they see the people walking towards the house.
2. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
3. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
4. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
5. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
6. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
7. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
8. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
9. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
10. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)