|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After exploring the house the father heads back outside -- what does he find?
2. How far away are the father and son from where the father thought they actually were?
(a) Twenty miles.
(b) Hundred miles.
(c) Thirty miles.
(d) Fifty miles.
3. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
(a) One man and two pregnant women.
(b) Two boys and a dog.
(c) Three men and a pregnant woman.
(d) Two men, a woman, and a baby.
4. What does the father wonder after seeing his son's reaction to finding the hidden cellar?
(a) How his son can cry so easily.
(b) Why the son runs away.
(c) Why the son is so excited.
(d) How much more the son can take.
5. The old man that the father and son meet on the road stays with them for the night -- what do the father and the old man talk about?
(a) About where they should head next on their journey.
(b) About God, in whom the old man says he puts all his faith.
(c) About God, in whom the old man says he no longer believes.
(d) About how the world used to before.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving their camp, what does the father spy some boys burning?
2. How does the son feel about entering the nice house?
3. After the father and son hide from the people walking towards the nice house, why does the father give the son a gun?
4. After resting in the truck, the father and son find a house -- what does the father find in a tool shed?
5. The father carries his son across a field, but he has to stop every _____ steps.
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
2. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
3. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
4. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
5. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
6. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
7. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 21 after the father breaks open a locked pantry door.
8. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
9. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
10. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)