|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 35, how is the son starting to change?
(a) He is becoming more frightened and relies on his father for everything.
(b) He is becoming more reckless and does not think before he acts.
(c) He is becoming stronger and offering his point of view.
(d) He is becoming quieter and barely speaks at all.
2. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
(a) He tells the father where to meet him in a few days.
(b) He tells the father that he knows he will die soon.
(c) He tells the father he does not trust him.
(d) He tells the father thanks for his kindness.
3. What do the father and son find in the nice house?
(a) Packets of freeze-dried food, a pillow, and a bike.
(b) Gallons of water, shoes, and a wagon.
(c) Tins of food, clothes, and a wheelbarrow.
(d) A barrel of apples, blankets, and a backpack.
4. After the father and son run from the nice looking house and hide, how many people do they see walking towards the house?
5. What does the father say when he and his son enter the hidden cellar?
(a) "Heaven help us."
(b) "This is the work of the devil."
(c) "Thank the lord."
(d) "Oh my god."
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides asking his father to start a fire while under the bridge, what else does the son ask the father?
2. As the father leads the son to the hidden cellar, what does the father tell his son that good guys do not give in to?
3. When the father and son stop for the night after leaving the hidden cellar, what does the son ask the father?
4. How many days do the father and son stay in the nice house?
5. The father and son comb the beach -- what do they find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
2. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
3. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
4. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
5. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
6. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
7. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
8. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
9. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
10. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)