|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While on the road, the father and son meet an old man -- what does the son beg his father to give the old man?
(b) A coat.
2. How does the weather change once the father and son leave the house and barn and are back on the road?
(a) The wind picks up.
(b) It begins snowing.
(c) It begins hailing.
(d) It begins raining.
3. How does the father get the son to enter the nice house?
(a) He yells at the son.
(b) He reassures the son.
(c) He begs the son.
(d) He picks up the son and carries him.
4. The morning after sleeping on the road, what do the father and son do because the father is worried about their tracks?
(a) They cover their tracks with snow.
(b) They wipe away their tracks with their hands.
(c) They wash away their tracks with water.
(d) They create false tracks.
5. What do the father and son find in the nice house?
(a) A barrel of apples, blankets, and a backpack.
(b) Packets of freeze-dried food, a pillow, and a bike.
(c) Gallons of water, shoes, and a wagon.
(d) Tins of food, clothes, and a wheelbarrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 36, how many days has it been since the father and son have eaten?
2. After the father finds his son, who had wandered off while he was asleep, what does the son tell the father he has found?
3. How are the father and son feeling when they leave the hidden cellar?
4. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
5. How does the son feel about the beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
2. Describe how the father makes lamps before he and the son enter the hidden cellar.
3. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
4. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
5. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
6. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
7. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
8. Recall an example from Chapter 31 that demonstrates how the father is dealing with the son growing up.
9. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
10. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)