|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After spying on the people walking by, further down the road the father and son see a fire and smell food -- what do the they find cooking on the fire?
(a) A rat.
(b) An infant.
(c) A snake.
(d) A rabbit.
2. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
(a) He tells the father he does not trust him.
(b) He tells the father where to meet him in a few days.
(c) He tells the father that he knows he will die soon.
(d) He tells the father thanks for his kindness.
3. Although they have no food and all they eat is snow, what does the father continue to tell the son?
(a) They will find food.
(b) That they are almost to safety.
(c) They are not going to die.
(d) That snow will keep them strong.
4. How many days do the father and son stay in the nice house?
(a) Two days.
(b) Seven days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Three days.
5. The father carries his son across a field, but he has to stop every _____ steps.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on the road, the father and son meet an old man -- what does the son beg his father to give the old man?
2. While under the bridge, the son wants a fire, so why does the father not start one?
3. As the father leads the son to the hidden cellar, what does the father tell his son that good guys do not give in to?
4. After the father and son hide from the people walking towards the nice house, why does the father give the son a gun?
5. After they leave the men on the road, why does the son ask the father if he is dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
2. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
3. Analyze how the son feels about he and his father's changing relationship in Chapter 40, citing an example from the text.
4. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
5. In Chapter 30, describe how the son acts like a child for the first time.
6. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
7. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
8. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
9. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
10. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)