|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
(a) A cow and a bag of potatoes.
(b) Two goats and a bag of wheat.
(c) A dead body and a basket of peaches.
(d) Bales of hay and corn seeds.
2. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
(a) Sitting in an abandoned car.
(b) Rushing across the field.
(c) Eating berries from a nearby bush.
(d) Bathing in a nearby creek.
3. What does the father want to do with the food that he and his son find in the nice house?
(a) Throw the food away.
(b) Store the food in their cart.
(c) Cook the food really well.
(d) Burn the food in a fire.
4. Although they have no food and all they eat is snow, what does the father continue to tell the son?
(a) They will find food.
(b) That they are almost to safety.
(c) That snow will keep them strong.
(d) They are not going to die.
5. After leaving the nice house, the father and son come to a gas station -- what do they find there?
(b) Root beer.
(c) A couple candy bars.
(d) A bag of chips.
Short Answer Questions
1. While under the bridge, the son wants a fire, so why does the father not start one?
2. The father and son comb the beach -- what do they find?
3. What does the father swim out to inspect while the son stays on the beach?
4. The father sees a house and decides to explore it while his son sleeps -- what does he leave beside the boy?
5. What do the father and son do the morning after the father finds the house and barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
2. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
3. Explain what happens when the father and son find the old abandoned train -- analyze the father's actions.
4. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that describes the son's naivety.
5. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
6. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 21 after the father breaks open a locked pantry door.
7. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
8. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
9. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
10. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)