|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the son do while at the location after the gas station?
(a) He goes swimming.
(b) He goes for a run.
(c) He looks for rocks.
(d) He takes a nap.
2. While under the bridge, the son wants a fire, so why does the father not start one?
(a) It would draw too much attention.
(b) The father says they have no firewood.
(c) He has lost the lighter.
(d) The father feels hot and does not want a fire.
3. While the father has another coughing fit, what does he think about?
(b) His son.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
4. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
(a) Three men and a pregnant woman.
(b) One man and two pregnant women.
(c) Two men, a woman, and a baby.
(d) Two boys and a dog.
5. What does the father find in a gas station that helps him to know where they are?
(a) He recognizes the gas station as one from his childhood.
(b) A sign.
(c) A telephone directory.
(d) The address on the gas station's door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the father and son find in the nice house?
2. After leaving the gas station, the father and son continue along the road -- how many men stop them?
3. After the father and son finish the last of their food supply, what does the son ask the father about eating?
4. How does the father get the men that approach them on the road to leave?
5. How does the father get the son to enter the nice house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the son returns to the fearful version of himself in Chapter 36, and use an example from the text.
2. Describe how the author generates credibility to the father's paranoia about the world.
3. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
4. Describe three things that the father finds in Chapters 21-25 that he finds useful.
5. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
6. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
7. Describe what the father and son find in Chapter 35 that symbolizes the end of the son's innocence.
8. Analyze the son's reaction when, in Chapters 36-40, he realizes that the father is becoming more reliant on his opinion.
9. Describe how the son shows his increasing influence on the father in Chapter 31.
10. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)