|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The night after the incident with the man on the road, the father has a dream -- what does he dream about?
(a) His wife.
(b) His own death.
(c) His son.
(d) The other woman.
2. What do the father and son do after their discovery in the trailer?
(a) They call for help.
(b) They stop and rest.
(c) They build a fire.
(d) They move on.
3. After leaving the supermarket, how does the son feel about following the father into the house?
4. What time is it when the father and son make their way down to the city?
(a) 9:00 a.m.
(b) 12:00 p.m.
(c) 10:00 a.m.
(d) 7:00 a.m.
5. The father wakes from a dream and claims dreaming is not good -- what was he dreaming about?
(a) His childhood.
(b) A woman he once knew.
(c) A nightmare of his son being killed.
(d) His wife's suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. After looking for things to enhance their cart, what do the father and son do?
2. Just when the father is thinking of leaving the cart he sees their destination -- what does he name it?
3. What do the father and son find in the woods that they eat for dinner?
4. After reaching the city, what does the son ask the father about before nightfall?
5. In Chapter 11, how would the father and son describe the dinner that they prepared?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 11, describe where the father and son bathe and what they eat for dinner.
2. Describe two things that the father and son see along their journey in Chapters 16 through 20.
3. Explain how the father demonstrates perseverance in Chapters 16 through 20.
4. Explain how the author's descriptions and use of language set the tone for the rest of the novel.
5. Give one example from Chapter 5 that demonstrates how the father is not functioning well psychologically.
6. Explain what the father says about the States road.
7. Recall a situation in the text that demonstrates how the son has becomes immune to the sight of death.
8. Analyze the son's dream about the toy penguin.
9. Give an example from Chapter 11 where the father demonstrates his love for his son.
10. Describe a recurring theme throughout Chapters 16 through 20.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)