|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the father and son running out of as they travel?
2. What does the father claim could happen to himself and his son if they get wet?
(a) They could slip and fall.
(b) They could get sick.
(c) They could finally cool off.
(d) They could die.
3. After the confrontation with the man who found their hiding spot, where do the father and son stay for the night?
(a) Up in a tree.
(b) Out of sight in the woods.
(c) In an old abandoned house.
(d) In a broken down van.
4. The day after the father and son make cakes, who approaches the son?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A boy.
(c) An old man.
(d) A girl.
5. After leaving the trailer, further along the road, what does the father discover?
(a) Fresh footprints.
(b) A dead body.
(c) A pair of shoes.
(d) A dead animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father claim about his memory from his childhood?
2. What do the father and son do when they reach the city?
3. After leaving the woods, the father and son come to a road -- what does the father call this road?
4. What does the father decide to do about the man who has collapsed on the road?
5. What do the father and the son find in a smokehouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a recurring theme throughout Chapters 16 through 20.
2. Recall from Chapter 5 what the father remembers his wife telling him about his son.
3. Describe how the father treats the old man that he and the son meet in Chapter 31.
4. Explain what is revealed in Chapter 15 about the father's wife.
5. Describe how the father reacts when the son falls ill.
6. Explain how the author's descriptions and use of language set the tone for the rest of the novel.
7. Recall how the father displays his paranoid attitude again while he and the son are staying in the hidden cellar.
8. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
9. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
10. Describe how food is constantly a struggle, comparing how the father and son manage their food.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)