|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the first location in Chapter 1, what does the father try calling?
(a) His brother's house.
(b) His friend's house.
(c) His old house.
(d) His sister's house.
2. After the father and son make cakes, where do they sleep for the night?
(a) In an abandoned house.
(b) In a tent.
(c) In an old car.
(d) In a trailer.
3. What happens to the son when the man reaches their hiding spot?
(a) The man shoves the son out of the way.
(b) The man grabs the son and puts a knife to his throat.
(c) The man chases after the son.
(d) The man gives the son a drink of water.
4. What season is approaching that has the father worried?
5. Along the road, the father and son come upon a man -- what is wrong with the man?
(a) He is bleeding.
(b) He is limping and his body is burnt.
(c) His arm is broken.
(d) He is starving and has frostbite.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 8, what does the father cough up?
2. The father and son come to a stone wall -- what is hanging from the wall?
3. As the son becomes even colder, what does he ask his father about again?
4. As it becomes increasingly cold, what does the father begin to wonder?
5. Upon reaching the road, what does the father say about States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
2. Give an example from Chapter 11 where the father demonstrates his love for his son.
3. Recall a situation in the text that demonstrates how the son has becomes immune to the sight of death.
4. Explain what happens in Chapter 16 when a little boy comes up to the son.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 11, describe where the father and son bathe and what they eat for dinner.
6. Describe how food is constantly a struggle, comparing how the father and son manage their food.
7. Recall what question the son asks the father repeatedly and relate it to the father's coughing fits.
8. After traveling through the mountains, explain how the father knows he and his son have reached their destination.
9. Give an example of a game that the father and son play together.
10. Explain why the father is so overprotective of the son.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)