|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to the woman that the father has a dream about?
(a) She's hurt.
(b) She's dead.
(c) She's alone and pregnant.
(d) She's healthy and happy.
2. The night after the incident with the man on the road, the father has a dream -- what does he dream about?
(a) His son.
(b) The other woman.
(c) His wife.
(d) His own death.
3. After leaving the first location in Chapter 1, what do the father and son turn back to get?
4. Why is the son becoming increasingly cold?
(a) It is snowing.
(b) It is windy.
(c) He has no coat.
(d) It is raining.
5. What do the father and the son find in a smokehouse?
(a) A leg of lamb.
(b) Rib steaks.
(c) A pound of bacon.
(d) A ham.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father do to the man who finds their hiding spot?
2. The father and son eventually find somewhere dry to sleep in the woods, but what wakes them up in the middle of the night and causes them to run?
3. What lands on the son's hand at the end of Chapter 4?
4. After leaving the woods, the father and son come to a road -- what does the father call this road?
5. At the end of Chapter 8, what does the father cough up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall the items that the father finds inside the abandoned boat in Chapter 41.
2. Give an example from Chapters 21-25 that shows the father's mistrust.
3. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
4. Describe what happens when the father and son find their cart and analyze how this situation changes their relationship.
5. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
6. Describe how the son is starting to behave in Chapter 41, citing examples from the text.
7. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
8. Explain how the son begins questioning his father's judgment in Chapters 26-30.
9. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
10. Describe what things the father and son find while at the beach in Chapter 40.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)