|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the trailer, further along the road, what does the father discover?
(a) A dead body.
(b) Fresh footprints.
(c) A dead animal.
(d) A pair of shoes.
2. What does the father remember about his own childhood?
(a) His dad taking him fishing.
(b) Playing with his friends on a lake.
(c) His mother baking pies.
(d) Boating with his uncle on a lake.
3. The day after the father and son make cakes, what happens when the son calls out to the person who approaches him?
(a) The person runs up to the son.
(b) The person runs away.
(c) The person starts yelling at the son.
(d) The person stops and stares and the son.
4. What lands on the son's hand at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) A teardrop.
(b) A leaf.
(c) A snowflake.
(d) A raindrop.
5. After leaving the cart in a parking lot, where do the father and son walk to?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A park.
(d) A bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the son when the man reaches their hiding spot?
2. What does the father decide to do about the man who has collapsed on the road?
3. After leaving the first location visited in Chapter 1, the father and son reach a city -- why does the father presume there is no life there?
4. After the confrontation with the man who found their hiding spot, where do the father and son stay for the night?
5. While trying to shelter themselves from the rain, what does the father talk to the son about for a long period of time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the father demonstrates perseverance in Chapters 16 through 20.
2. After traveling through the mountains, explain how the father knows he and his son have reached their destination.
3. Give one example from Chapter 5 that demonstrates how the father is not functioning well psychologically.
4. Describe how the son is more capable of surviving than his father.
5. Give an example that demonstrates the father's stubbornness and how he has somewhat lost touch with reality.
6. Recall from Chapter 5 what the father remembers his wife telling him about his son.
7. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
8. Explain what the father says about the States road.
9. Give an example from Chapter 11 where the father demonstrates his love for his son.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 11, describe where the father and son bathe and what they eat for dinner.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)