|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What covers the city that the father and son explore?
(c) Ash and dust.
(d) Dirt and tar.
2. The father and son come to a stone wall -- what is hanging from the wall?
(a) Human hands.
(b) Human heads.
(c) Human scalps.
(d) Human feet.
3. How does the father recognize their destination?
(a) He has a feeling that it is the right place.
(b) He knows it from when he was a boy.
(c) He knows it from his father's description.
(d) He knows it from his wife's description.
4. While walking through an inhabited town, what are the father and son desperate for?
5. After leaving the woods, the father and son come to a road -- what does the father call this road?
(a) The States roads.
(b) The Endless roads.
(c) The Black roads.
(d) The Forgotten roads.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the father and son find in the woods that they eat for dinner?
2. At the first location in Chapter 1, what does the father try calling?
3. At the end of Chapter 8, what does the father cough up?
4. What lands on the son's hand at the end of Chapter 4?
5. Along the road, what do the father and son encounter that makes them stop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the author's descriptions and use of language set the tone for the rest of the novel.
2. Explain what the father says about the States road.
3. Analyze the son's dream about the toy penguin.
4. Describe the father's belief in God.
5. Give one example from Chapter 5 that demonstrates how the father is not functioning well psychologically.
6. Recall a situation in the text that demonstrates how the son has becomes immune to the sight of death.
7. Give an example that demonstrates the father's stubbornness and how he has somewhat lost touch with reality.
8. Explain why it is difficult for the reader to truly assess how bad things are in the world.
9. Describe how the father restricts the son from his humanitarian instincts.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 11, describe where the father and son bathe and what they eat for dinner.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)