|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 10, what do the father and son find?
(a) A river.
(b) A creek.
(c) An apple tree.
(d) A dead body.
2. What does the father use to make wrappings for himself and his son's feet?
(a) Giant leaves with twine.
(b) An old shirt and rope.
(c) An old coat and bits of tarp.
(d) Pieces of bark and tape.
3. When did the father's wife shoot herself?
(a) After they had gotten in a fight.
(b) When the son was two.
(c) Right before they started their road trip.
(d) When the son was born.
4. What covers the city that the father and son explore?
(a) Ash and dust.
(c) Dirt and tar.
5. After leaving the cart in a parking lot, where do the father and son walk to?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A park.
(c) A waterfall.
(d) A grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the first location visited in Chapter 1, the father and son reach a city -- why does the father presume there is no life there?
2. What do the father and son find that they use to make cakes?
3. After leaving the first location in Chapter 1, what do the father and son turn back to get?
4. The night after the incident with the man on the road, the father has a dream -- what does he dream about?
5. The day after the father and son make cakes, who approaches the son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the son's dream about the toy penguin.
2. Explain how the father is failing his son.
3. Give an example from Chapter 11 where the father demonstrates his love for his son.
4. Explain how the father demonstrates perseverance in Chapters 16 through 20.
5. Describe the father's belief in God.
6. Give an example that demonstrates the father's stubbornness and how he has somewhat lost touch with reality.
7. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
8. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
9. Recall an example from the first few chapters of the novel that demonstrates the son's concern with mortality.
10. After traveling through the mountains, explain how the father knows he and his son have reached their destination.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)