|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the woods, the father and son come to a road -- what does the father call this road?
(a) The Black roads.
(b) The Forgotten roads.
(c) The Endless roads.
(d) The States roads.
2. After finding their destination, what does the father wish he had for their cart?
(a) Better wheels.
(b) A sled runner.
(c) Better traction.
(d) An extra tarp.
3. In Chapter 11, what do the father and son do before returning to the woods?
(a) They sit and watch the birds.
(b) They wash themselves.
(c) They rest.
(d) They talk about their journey so far.
4. After leaving the supermarket, how does the son feel about following the father into the house?
5. What does the father claim could happen to himself and his son if they get wet?
(a) They could die.
(b) They could finally cool off.
(c) They could slip and fall.
(d) They could get sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Just when the father is thinking of leaving the cart he sees their destination -- what does he name it?
2. After leaving the first location in Chapter 1, what do the father and son turn back to get?
3. After leaving the city, what direction do the father and son head?
4. What season is approaching that has the father worried?
5. What do the father and son discover in a doorway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give one example from Chapter 5 that demonstrates how the father is not functioning well psychologically.
2. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
3. Analyze the son's dream about the toy penguin.
4. Explain how the father demonstrates perseverance in Chapters 16 through 20.
5. Recall a situation in the text that demonstrates how the son has becomes immune to the sight of death.
6. Explain why the father is so overprotective of the son.
7. Describe how the father restricts the son from his humanitarian instincts.
8. Describe how food is constantly a struggle, comparing how the father and son manage their food.
9. Give an example from Chapter 11 where the father demonstrates his love for his son.
10. After traveling through the mountains, explain how the father knows he and his son have reached their destination.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)