|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the father and son hide while spying on the people climbing out of a truck?
(a) In a bush.
(b) Behind a large tree.
(c) In an abandoned car.
(d) In a ditch.
2. What house do the father and son go to after leaving the supermarket?
(a) The house of the father's best friend.
(b) The house where the son's mother grew up.
(c) The house where the son was born.
(d) The house where the father grew up.
3. The father and son eventually find somewhere dry to sleep in the woods, but what wakes them up in the middle of the night and causes them to run?
(a) Wild dogs.
(b) The trees begin to fall.
(c) A forest fire.
(d) Men with guns.
4. What do the father and the son find in a smokehouse?
(a) A pound of bacon.
(b) Rib steaks.
(c) A leg of lamb.
(d) A ham.
5. What are the father and son trying so hard to find at the supermarket?
(a) A new cart.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A can of soup.
(d) A loaf of bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the city, what direction do the father and son head?
2. After passing the stone wall, what do the father and son hear that makes them hide?
3. What does the father find at the supermarket that he gives to the son?
4. What does the father claim could happen to himself and his son if they get wet?
5. What do the father and son have to get through or it could mean their death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall examples from Chapters 1-5 that demonstrate how the father tries to protect the son, and how the son tries to protect the father.
2. Give an example that demonstrates the father's stubbornness and how he has somewhat lost touch with reality.
3. Recall an example from the first few chapters of the novel that demonstrates the son's concern with mortality.
4. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
5. Describe what happens when the father and son arrive at the father's old house.
6. Describe a recurring theme throughout Chapters 16 through 20.
7. Give one example from Chapter 5 that demonstrates how the father is not functioning well psychologically.
8. Explain how the father is failing his son.
9. Explain what the father says about the States road.
10. Describe how food is constantly a struggle, comparing how the father and son manage their food.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)