|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the father wash out of the son's hair?
2. What does the father find at the supermarket that he gives to the son?
(a) A can of Coke.
(b) A can of Mountain Dew.
(c) A can of Pepsi.
(d) A can of Dr. Pepper.
3. What does the father decide to do about the man who has collapsed on the road?
(a) The father leaves the man where he lies and they walk on.
(b) The father pushes the man out of the way and yells at him.
(c) The father shoots the man in the head to end his misery.
(d) The father helps the man.
4. In the morning after finding the city, why does the father step away from the son before he wakes?
(a) The father is looking for water.
(b) The father does not want the son to hear him coughing.
(c) The father is crying and does not want the son to hear.
(d) The father is looking for food.
5. What covers the city that the father and son explore?
(c) Dirt and tar.
(d) Ash and dust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father fix to the cart to keep the limbs away as they move down the road?
2. The father has a hard time remembering how to play the games -- what does he do?
3. While trying to shelter themselves from the rain, what does the father talk to the son about for a long period of time?
4. After the confrontation with the man who found their hiding spot, where do the father and son stay for the night?
5. What does the father notice that makes him question whether he is a good father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the father restricts the son from his humanitarian instincts.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, describe where the father and son bathe and what they eat for dinner.
3. Describe how the son is more capable of surviving than his father.
4. Recall an example from the first few chapters of the novel that demonstrates the son's concern with mortality.
5. Give an example of a game that the father and son play together.
6. After traveling through the mountains, explain how the father knows he and his son have reached their destination.
7. Describe the father's belief in God.
8. Describe two things that the father and son see along their journey in Chapters 16 through 20.
9. Explain how the author's descriptions and use of language set the tone for the rest of the novel.
10. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)