|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first location that the father and son walk to in Chapter 1?
(a) An abandoned hotel.
(b) An abandoned hospital.
(c) An abandoned gas station.
(d) An abandoned grocery store.
2. The father has a hard time remembering how to play the games -- what does he do?
(a) He gets angry.
(b) He makes the son look for firewood.
(c) He gets embarrassed.
(d) He makes up new ones.
3. After leaving the first location in Chapter 1, what do the father and son turn back to get?
4. In Chapter 11, what do the father and son do before returning to the woods?
(a) They rest.
(b) They sit and watch the birds.
(c) They wash themselves.
(d) They talk about their journey so far.
5. How does the father recognize their destination?
(a) He knows it from his father's description.
(b) He knows it from when he was a boy.
(c) He knows it from his wife's description.
(d) He has a feeling that it is the right place.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day after the father and son make cakes, what happens when the son calls out to the person who approaches him?
2. What does the father wash out of the son's hair?
3. At the end of Chapter 8, what does the father cough up?
4. What do the father and son eat that is fermented?
5. What do the father and son find in the woods that they eat for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 26, describe the son's reaction when the father loses their lighter and cannot make a fire.
2. Explain what the father does in Chapters 11-15 that accentuates his paranoia, citing an example.
3. Describe three things that the father and son find of use in Chapters 36-40.
4. Explain why it is difficult for the reader to truly assess how bad things are in the world.
5. Explain what happens in Chapter 35 that finally makes the father realize that the son is growing up.
6. Describe one example from Chapters 36-40 that demonstrates how the father is becoming more reliant on the son's opinion.
7. Recall the items that the father finds inside the abandoned boat in Chapter 41.
8. Give an example from Chapters 26-30 of where the author uses foreshadowing.
9. Recall what question the son asks the father repeatedly and relate it to the father's coughing fits.
10. Describe how the son is starting to behave in Chapter 41, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)