|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The night after the incident with the man on the road, the father has a dream -- what does he dream about?
(a) His own death.
(b) His son.
(c) The other woman.
(d) His wife.
2. Why is the son becoming increasingly cold?
(a) It is snowing.
(b) He has no coat.
(c) It is windy.
(d) It is raining.
3. What does the father fix to the cart to keep the limbs away as they move down the road?
(a) Pieces of cloth.
(b) Large leaves.
4. What does the father claim could happen to himself and his son if they get wet?
(a) They could finally cool off.
(b) They could get sick.
(c) They could slip and fall.
(d) They could die.
5. At the end of Chapter 8, what does the father cough up?
Short Answer Questions
1. The father has a hard time remembering how to play the games -- what does he do?
2. What does the father use to make wrappings for himself and his son's feet?
3. Along the road, what do the father and son encounter that makes them stop?
4. When did the father's wife shoot herself?
5. While trying to shelter themselves from the rain, what does the father talk to the son about for a long period of time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example from Chapter 11 where the father demonstrates his love for his son.
2. Describe how the author creates a sparse, bleak feeling at the beginning of the novel.
3. Describe how the son is more capable of surviving than his father.
4. Describe what happens when the father and son arrive at the father's old house.
5. Describe what the father makes for their feet in Chapter 20.
6. Describe a recurring theme throughout Chapters 16 through 20.
7. Recall a situation in the text that demonstrates how the son has becomes immune to the sight of death.
8. Give an example of a game that the father and son play together.
9. Describe how food is constantly a struggle, comparing how the father and son manage their food.
10. Explain what is revealed in Chapter 15 about the father's wife.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)