|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving their camp, what does the father spy some boys burning?
(a) A baby.
(b) A rabbit.
2. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
(a) The snow is so deep he thinks no one could possibly come by.
(b) The road is too rocky and he thinks no one will come by.
(c) Weeds and debris overrun the road so he thinks no one will come by.
(d) The road is deserted and he thinks no one will come by.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 36, how many days has it been since the father and son have eaten?
(a) Three days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Six days.
4. How are the father and son feeling when they leave the hidden cellar?
(a) Sick to their stomachs and in low spirits.
(b) Tired and anxious.
(c) Upset with each other because the son wants to stay.
(d) They have full stomachs and are in high spirits.
5. Near the tool shed, the father uncovers a locked trap door to a hidden cellar -- how does the son react?
(a) He excitedly asks his father to enter.
(b) He begins to cry and passes out.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He begs the father not to enter.
6. What does the father wonder after seeing his son's reaction to finding the hidden cellar?
(a) How much more the son can take.
(b) Why the son runs away.
(c) Why the son is so excited.
(d) How his son can cry so easily.
7. How does the son feel about entering the nice house?
8. What does the father make with some bottles and gasoline?
(d) A fire.
9. What do the father and son do in the hidden cellar besides eating?
(a) They wrestle.
(b) They take a bath.
(c) They play cards.
(d) They organize the supplies.
10. After leaving the barn, the father explores the house -- what does he find inside the house that's useful?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A wrench.
(c) A screwdriver.
(d) A knife.
11. In Chapter 35, how is the son starting to change?
(a) He is becoming more reckless and does not think before he acts.
(b) He is becoming quieter and barely speaks at all.
(c) He is becoming more frightened and relies on his father for everything.
(d) He is becoming stronger and offering his point of view.
12. Before leaving the house and barn, the father and son collect more _______ before they head back on the road.
13. Things are not going well for the father and son -- what are they running out of?
14. Besides asking his father to start a fire while under the bridge, what else does the son ask the father?
(a) Why he did not shoot the people in the pantry.
(b) What they are going to eat for dinner.
(c) If they could not possibly have helped the people in the pantry.
(d) Where they will head next.
15. Once the father fills his basket and begins to leave the house, what does he look back and realize is by the house?
(a) A cistern of fresh water.
(b) A tank of gasoline.
(c) An abandoned car.
(d) A pile of dead bodies.
Short Answer Questions
1. The father carries his son across a field, but he has to stop every _____ steps.
2. The old man that the father and son meet on the road stays with them for the night -- what do the father and the old man talk about?
3. In Chapter 36, the father and son come to a nice house -- why does the father worry about going inside?
4. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
5. What does the father find in the nice house that he thinks could be poison?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)