|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although they have no food and all they eat is snow, what does the father continue to tell the son?
(a) They are not going to die.
(b) That snow will keep them strong.
(c) That they are almost to safety.
(d) They will find food.
2. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
(a) Weeds and debris overrun the road so he thinks no one will come by.
(b) The snow is so deep he thinks no one could possibly come by.
(c) The road is deserted and he thinks no one will come by.
(d) The road is too rocky and he thinks no one will come by.
3. After he leaves his son safely sleeping, the father explores a barn -- what does he find in the barn?
(a) Two goats and a bag of wheat.
(b) A cow and a bag of potatoes.
(c) Bales of hay and corn seeds.
(d) A dead body and a basket of peaches.
4. What does the father find inside the barn that he eats?
(d) Corn seeds.
5. The next town the father and son come to they find a nice looking house -- what do they find inside a locked pantry?
(a) Barely alive, naked people.
(b) Two starving children.
(c) A pile of dead chickens.
(d) Cans of food.
6. What does the father swim out to inspect while the son stays on the beach?
(a) A floating body.
(b) A person drowning.
(c) An abandoned life raft.
(d) An abandoned boat.
7. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
(a) The father keeps the fire going.
(b) Feels for the son's heartbeat.
(c) Searches for food.
(d) Begins to cry quietly.
8. When the father and son stop for the night after leaving the hidden cellar, what does the son ask the father?
(a) If he can see the gun.
(b) If they can go back to the hidden cellar.
(c) What their long term goals are.
(d) What they will eat for dinner.
9. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
(a) One man and two pregnant women.
(b) Three men and a pregnant woman.
(c) Two men, a woman, and a baby.
(d) Two boys and a dog.
10. After the father and son hide from the people walking towards the nice house, why does the father give the son a gun?
(a) To shoot the father if the people find them.
(b) To defend himself if the people find them.
(c) To kill himself if the people find them.
(d) To hide the gun if the people find them.
11. How does the son feel about entering the nice house?
12. Once the father fills his basket and begins to leave the house, what does he look back and realize is by the house?
(a) A tank of gasoline.
(b) A pile of dead bodies.
(c) A cistern of fresh water.
(d) An abandoned car.
13. At the beginning of Chapter 36, how many days has it been since the father and son have eaten?
(a) Five days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three days.
14. After spying on the people walking by, further down the road the father and son see a fire and smell food -- what do the they find cooking on the fire?
(a) A snake.
(b) A rat.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) An infant.
15. After leaving the gas station, what do the men that stop the father and son want?
(a) The men ask what the father and son have in their cart.
(b) The men want the father and son to give them their clothes.
(c) The men demand that the father hand over the son.
(d) The men want the father and son's shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the father and son do in the hidden cellar besides eating?
2. The old man that the father and son meet on the road stays with them for the night -- what do the father and the old man talk about?
3. What does the father find in the nice house that he thinks could be poison?
4. In Chapter 36, the father and son come to a nice house -- why does the father worry about going inside?
5. What is unusual about the door to the house in Chapter 36?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)