|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the father and son do the morning after the father finds the house and barn?
(a) Wrap themselves in blankets, eat apples, and drink the water.
(b) Sit on a blanket and eat peaches.
(c) Hot wire the car and leave the house.
(d) Leave as quickly as possible.
2. After leaving the nice house, the father and son come to a gas station -- what do they find there?
(b) A bag of chips.
(c) A couple candy bars.
(d) Root beer.
3. Besides asking his father to start a fire while under the bridge, what else does the son ask the father?
(a) What they are going to eat for dinner.
(b) Why he did not shoot the people in the pantry.
(c) If they could not possibly have helped the people in the pantry.
(d) Where they will head next.
4. What is unusual about the door to the house in Chapter 36?
(a) It is barred shut with deadbolts.
(b) It is hanging off the hinges.
(c) It is propped open.
(d) The door is missing on the house.
5. What does the father swim out to inspect while the son stays on the beach?
(a) A person drowning.
(b) A floating body.
(c) An abandoned boat.
(d) An abandoned life raft.
6. After leaving the gas station, the father and son continue along the road -- how many men stop them?
7. How does the father get the men that approach them on the road to leave?
(a) He pulls out his gun.
(b) He asks them nicely to please leave.
(c) He beats the men up.
(d) He begs with them to spare his son's life.
8. How does the father get the son to enter the nice house?
(a) He yells at the son.
(b) He begs the son.
(c) He reassures the son.
(d) He picks up the son and carries him.
9. Near the tool shed, the father uncovers a locked trap door to a hidden cellar -- how does the son react?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He begins to cry and passes out.
(c) He begs the father not to enter.
(d) He excitedly asks his father to enter.
10. What does the son talk about as they leave the hidden cellar?
(a) Card games.
(b) How he wishes he was back in the cellar.
(c) Spaceships and traveling to Mars.
(d) How tired and hungry he is.
11. While on the road, the father and son meet an old man -- what does the son beg his father to give the old man?
(a) A coat.
12. How does the son feel about entering the nice house?
13. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where do the father and son sleep?
(a) In the woods.
(b) Beside a creek.
(c) In an abandoned house.
(d) Under a bridge.
14. What does the father say when he and his son enter the hidden cellar?
(a) "Thank the lord."
(b) "Oh my god."
(c) "This is the work of the devil."
(d) "Heaven help us."
15. In Chapter 35, how is the son starting to change?
(a) He is becoming stronger and offering his point of view.
(b) He is becoming more frightened and relies on his father for everything.
(c) He is becoming more reckless and does not think before he acts.
(d) He is becoming quieter and barely speaks at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the son think is inside the nice house?
2. What does the father make with some bottles and gasoline?
3. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
4. The next town the father and son come to they find a nice looking house -- what do they find inside a locked pantry?
5. What does the father find in the nice house that he thinks could be poison?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)