|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the hidden cellar and stopping for the night, the son asks the father a question -- how does the father answer?
(a) The father tells the son he cannot see the gun.
(b) The father tells him they will eat stuff from the cellar.
(c) The father tells the son they will not be going back to the hidden cellar.
(d) The father asks where the son has heard such a term.
2. What do the father and son find in the nice house?
(a) Packets of freeze-dried food, a pillow, and a bike.
(b) Tins of food, clothes, and a wheelbarrow.
(c) Gallons of water, shoes, and a wagon.
(d) A barrel of apples, blankets, and a backpack.
3. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
(a) The father keeps the fire going.
(b) Begins to cry quietly.
(c) Feels for the son's heartbeat.
(d) Searches for food.
4. The father and son comb the beach -- what do they find?
(a) Bones of dead dogs.
(b) Bones of dead fish and cattle.
(c) A pile of human bodies.
(d) An old man.
5. Before leaving the house and barn, the father and son collect more _______ before they head back on the road.
6. After spying on the people walking by, further down the road the father and son see a fire and smell food -- what do the they find cooking on the fire?
(a) A snake.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A rat.
(d) An infant.
7. As the father leads the son to the hidden cellar, what does the father tell his son that good guys do not give in to?
8. What does the father find inside the barn that he eats?
(a) Corn seeds.
9. What does the father say about their first night back on the road?
(a) It is their worst night so far.
(b) He does not know if he can go on.
(c) They are almost to their destination.
(d) It is their best night so far.
10. How does the son feel about entering the nice house?
11. Besides asking his father to start a fire while under the bridge, what else does the son ask the father?
(a) If they could not possibly have helped the people in the pantry.
(b) Why he did not shoot the people in the pantry.
(c) What they are going to eat for dinner.
(d) Where they will head next.
12. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
(a) Two men, a woman, and a baby.
(b) Three men and a pregnant woman.
(c) Two boys and a dog.
(d) One man and two pregnant women.
13. The next town the father and son come to they find a nice looking house -- what do they find inside a locked pantry?
(a) A pile of dead chickens.
(b) Cans of food.
(c) Barely alive, naked people.
(d) Two starving children.
14. What does the father wonder after seeing his son's reaction to finding the hidden cellar?
(a) How much more the son can take.
(b) Why the son runs away.
(c) Why the son is so excited.
(d) How his son can cry so easily.
15. In Chapter 36, the father and son come to a nice house -- why does the father worry about going inside?
(a) The three people they met earlier may be inside.
(b) They will waste too much time.
(c) There are dead bodies inside the house.
(d) The house could have traps.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the father get the men that approach them on the road to leave?
2. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
3. Once the father fills his basket and begins to leave the house, what does he look back and realize is by the house?
4. What does the father want to do with the food that he and his son find in the nice house?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 36, how many days has it been since the father and son have eaten?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)