|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving their camp, what does the father spy some boys burning?
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A baby.
2. What does the father say when he and his son enter the hidden cellar?
(a) "Heaven help us."
(b) "Oh my god."
(c) "Thank the lord."
(d) "This is the work of the devil."
3. After the father finds his son, who had wandered off while he was asleep, what does the son tell the father he has found?
(a) A train.
(b) A car.
(c) A creek.
(d) A bush with berries.
4. After the father and son hide from the people walking towards the nice house, why does the father give the son a gun?
(a) To defend himself if the people find them.
(b) To kill himself if the people find them.
(c) To hide the gun if the people find them.
(d) To shoot the father if the people find them.
5. How does the weather change once the father and son leave the house and barn and are back on the road?
(a) It begins raining.
(b) It begins snowing.
(c) The wind picks up.
(d) It begins hailing.
6. What does the son think is inside the nice house?
(a) A person.
(c) A bomb.
(d) Wild dogs.
7. What do the father and son do the morning after the father finds the house and barn?
(a) Sit on a blanket and eat peaches.
(b) Hot wire the car and leave the house.
(c) Wrap themselves in blankets, eat apples, and drink the water.
(d) Leave as quickly as possible.
8. After leaving the nice house, the father and son come to a gas station -- what do they find there?
(a) Root beer.
(b) A couple candy bars.
(c) A bag of chips.
9. What does the father wonder after seeing his son's reaction to finding the hidden cellar?
(a) Why the son runs away.
(b) How his son can cry so easily.
(c) Why the son is so excited.
(d) How much more the son can take.
10. While the father has another coughing fit, what does he think about?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His son.
11. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
(a) He tells the father where to meet him in a few days.
(b) He tells the father thanks for his kindness.
(c) He tells the father he does not trust him.
(d) He tells the father that he knows he will die soon.
12. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where do the father and son sleep?
(a) In an abandoned house.
(b) Beside a creek.
(c) Under a bridge.
(d) In the woods.
13. The father sees a house and decides to explore it while his son sleeps -- what does he leave beside the boy?
(a) A pistol.
(b) A jug of water.
(c) A warm fire.
(d) A plate of food.
14. After the father and son run from the nice looking house and hide, how many people do they see walking towards the house?
15. Things are not going well for the father and son -- what are they running out of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
2. After spying on the people walking by, further down the road the father and son see a fire and smell food -- what do the they find cooking on the fire?
3. Although they have no food and all they eat is snow, what does the father continue to tell the son?
4. Near the tool shed, the father uncovers a locked trap door to a hidden cellar -- how does the son react?
5. What do the father and son find in the nice house?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)