|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The old man that the father and son meet on the road stays with them for the night -- what do the father and the old man talk about?
(a) About God, in whom the old man says he puts all his faith.
(b) About where they should head next on their journey.
(c) About how the world used to before.
(d) About God, in whom the old man says he no longer believes.
2. While under the bridge, the son wants a fire, so why does the father not start one?
(a) The father says they have no firewood.
(b) The father feels hot and does not want a fire.
(c) It would draw too much attention.
(d) He has lost the lighter.
3. The next town the father and son come to they find a nice looking house -- what do they find inside a locked pantry?
(a) A pile of dead chickens.
(b) Two starving children.
(c) Barely alive, naked people.
(d) Cans of food.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 36, how many days has it been since the father and son have eaten?
(a) Five days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two days.
5. While on the beach, why does the father need to warm the son up with a fire and food?
(a) The son is freezing after going for a run.
(b) The son is freezing after swimming in the ocean.
(c) The son is freezing after falling in the ocean while looking for shells.
(d) The son is freezing after being in a downpour of rain.
6. Why does the father not want to stay in the hidden cellar?
(a) He is angry that the son likes the cellar so much.
(b) He is too bored sitting around in the hidden cellar.
(c) He thinks it would be dangerous.
(d) He wants to get back on the road and continue their journey.
7. After leaving the nice house, the father and son come to a gas station -- what do they find there?
(a) A bag of chips.
(c) A couple candy bars.
(d) Root beer.
8. How does the weather change once the father and son leave the house and barn and are back on the road?
(a) It begins hailing.
(b) The wind picks up.
(c) It begins snowing.
(d) It begins raining.
9. After they leave the men on the road, why does the son ask the father if he is dying?
(a) He is bleeding.
(b) His vision is getting blurry.
(c) He cannot walk.
(d) His cough is getting bad.
10. Before leaving the house and barn, the father and son collect more _______ before they head back on the road.
11. How are the father and son feeling when they leave the hidden cellar?
(a) Tired and anxious.
(b) They have full stomachs and are in high spirits.
(c) Upset with each other because the son wants to stay.
(d) Sick to their stomachs and in low spirits.
12. What does the father say about their first night back on the road?
(a) It is their best night so far.
(b) It is their worst night so far.
(c) He does not know if he can go on.
(d) They are almost to their destination.
13. What does the father want to do with the food that he and his son find in the nice house?
(a) Cook the food really well.
(b) Burn the food in a fire.
(c) Store the food in their cart.
(d) Throw the food away.
14. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
(a) Searches for food.
(b) Feels for the son's heartbeat.
(c) The father keeps the fire going.
(d) Begins to cry quietly.
15. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
(a) Eating berries from a nearby bush.
(b) Bathing in a nearby creek.
(c) Sitting in an abandoned car.
(d) Rushing across the field.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father find in a gas station that helps him to know where they are?
2. Where do the father and son travel to after leaving the gas station?
3. Although they have no food and all they eat is snow, what does the father continue to tell the son?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 26, where do the father and son sleep?
5. After the father finds his son, who had wandered off while he was asleep, what does the son tell the father he has found?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)