|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the father say when he and his son enter the hidden cellar?
(a) "Oh my god."
(b) "Heaven help us."
(c) "Thank the lord."
(d) "This is the work of the devil."
2. How does the son feel about his father going in the ocean?
3. After passing the boys with the fire, the father and son think someone is following them so they decide to hide -- who do they see walk past?
(a) One man and two pregnant women.
(b) Two men, a woman, and a baby.
(c) Three men and a pregnant woman.
(d) Two boys and a dog.
4. In Chapter 35, how is the son starting to change?
(a) He is becoming more frightened and relies on his father for everything.
(b) He is becoming more reckless and does not think before he acts.
(c) He is becoming stronger and offering his point of view.
(d) He is becoming quieter and barely speaks at all.
5. Where do the father and son travel to after leaving the gas station?
(a) The train station.
(b) A hotel.
(c) The beach.
(d) An old amusement park.
6. The father carries his son across a field, but he has to stop every _____ steps.
7. At the beginning of Chapter 36, how many days has it been since the father and son have eaten?
(a) Two days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Five days.
8. What does the father make with some bottles and gasoline?
(a) A fire.
9. Although they have no food and all they eat is snow, what does the father continue to tell the son?
(a) That snow will keep them strong.
(b) They are not going to die.
(c) That they are almost to safety.
(d) They will find food.
10. How are the father and son feeling when they leave the hidden cellar?
(a) Tired and anxious.
(b) Sick to their stomachs and in low spirits.
(c) Upset with each other because the son wants to stay.
(d) They have full stomachs and are in high spirits.
11. After leaving their camp, what does the father spy some boys burning?
(b) A baby.
(c) A rabbit.
12. Before leaving the house and barn, the father and son collect more _______ before they head back on the road.
13. How does the father get the men that approach them on the road to leave?
(a) He asks them nicely to please leave.
(b) He pulls out his gun.
(c) He beats the men up.
(d) He begs with them to spare his son's life.
14. What does the father find inside the barn that he eats?
(a) Corn seeds.
15. After setting up camp, the father wakes up and the son is gone; after looking for him, what does the father see the son doing?
(a) Sitting in an abandoned car.
(b) Eating berries from a nearby bush.
(c) Rushing across the field.
(d) Bathing in a nearby creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father want to do with the food that he and his son find in the nice house?
2. While the father has another coughing fit, what does he think about?
3. What is unusual about the door to the house in Chapter 36?
4. After resting in the truck, the father and son find a house -- what does the father find in a tool shed?
5. After leaving the hidden cellar and stopping for the night, the son asks the father a question -- how does the father answer?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)