|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the son feel about entering the nice house?
2. In Chapter 36, the father and son come to a nice house -- why does the father worry about going inside?
(a) The three people they met earlier may be inside.
(b) The house could have traps.
(c) There are dead bodies inside the house.
(d) They will waste too much time.
3. Before leaving the house and barn, the father and son collect more _______ before they head back on the road.
4. What is unusual about the door to the house in Chapter 36?
(a) It is hanging off the hinges.
(b) It is barred shut with deadbolts.
(c) It is propped open.
(d) The door is missing on the house.
5. How does the father get the men that approach them on the road to leave?
(a) He beats the men up.
(b) He pulls out his gun.
(c) He asks them nicely to please leave.
(d) He begs with them to spare his son's life.
6. What does the father say when he and his son enter the hidden cellar?
(a) "Oh my god."
(b) "This is the work of the devil."
(c) "Thank the lord."
(d) "Heaven help us."
7. While under the bridge, the son wants a fire, so why does the father not start one?
(a) He has lost the lighter.
(b) The father says they have no firewood.
(c) It would draw too much attention.
(d) The father feels hot and does not want a fire.
8. Why does the father decide to camp on the road?
(a) The road is too rocky and he thinks no one will come by.
(b) Weeds and debris overrun the road so he thinks no one will come by.
(c) The snow is so deep he thinks no one could possibly come by.
(d) The road is deserted and he thinks no one will come by.
9. What does the father swim out to inspect while the son stays on the beach?
(a) A floating body.
(b) An abandoned boat.
(c) An abandoned life raft.
(d) A person drowning.
10. The father and the son are becoming increasingly weak, and they sleep in the woods -- what does the father do while the son is asleep?
(a) Begins to cry quietly.
(b) Feels for the son's heartbeat.
(c) The father keeps the fire going.
(d) Searches for food.
11. What does the old man that the father and son met on the road say to the father before he leaves their camp?
(a) He tells the father thanks for his kindness.
(b) He tells the father that he knows he will die soon.
(c) He tells the father where to meet him in a few days.
(d) He tells the father he does not trust him.
12. What does the father say about their first night back on the road?
(a) It is their best night so far.
(b) It is their worst night so far.
(c) They are almost to their destination.
(d) He does not know if he can go on.
13. After the father and son finish the last of their food supply, what does the son ask the father about eating?
(a) If they will ever have to eat a horse.
(b) If they will ever have to eat a cat.
(c) If they will ever have to eat a human.
(d) If they will ever have to eat a dog.
14. The father carries his son across a field, but he has to stop every _____ steps.
15. After the son asks the father if he is dying, they stop to rest and set up camp -- how many days do they stay in this same spot?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the nice house, the father and son come to a gas station -- what do they find there?
2. Near the tool shed, the father uncovers a locked trap door to a hidden cellar -- how does the son react?
3. What does the father find in the nice house that he thinks could be poison?
4. What does the son talk about as they leave the hidden cellar?
5. While the father has another coughing fit, what does he think about?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)