|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it when the father and son make their way down to the city?
(a) 12:00 p.m.
(b) 7:00 a.m.
(c) 9:00 a.m.
(d) 10:00 a.m.
2. What do the father and the son find in a smokehouse?
(a) Rib steaks.
(b) A leg of lamb.
(c) A pound of bacon.
(d) A ham.
3. What does the father tell the son has happened to the man who collapses in the road?
(a) The man has been beaten.
(b) The man is starving to death.
(c) The man has severe frostbite.
(d) The man has been struck by lightning.
4. How is the weather when the father and son reach the city?
(a) It's raining.
(b) It's snowing.
(c) It's sunny.
(d) It's windy.
5. Where do the father and son hide while spying on the people climbing out of a truck?
(a) In a bush.
(b) Behind a large tree.
(c) In a ditch.
(d) In an abandoned car.
6. In the morning after finding the city, why does the father step away from the son before he wakes?
(a) The father is looking for food.
(b) The father does not want the son to hear him coughing.
(c) The father is looking for water.
(d) The father is crying and does not want the son to hear.
7. What does the father decide to do about the man who has collapsed on the road?
(a) The father helps the man.
(b) The father shoots the man in the head to end his misery.
(c) The father pushes the man out of the way and yells at him.
(d) The father leaves the man where he lies and they walk on.
8. After leaving the first location visited in Chapter 1, the father and son reach a city -- why does the father presume there is no life there?
(a) He does not see any lights.
(b) He does not see any smoke coming from the city.
(c) He does not see any people.
(d) He does not see any cars.
9. When did the father's wife shoot herself?
(a) Right before they started their road trip.
(b) When the son was born.
(c) After they had gotten in a fight.
(d) When the son was two.
10. What house do the father and son go to after leaving the supermarket?
(a) The house where the son was born.
(b) The house where the son's mother grew up.
(c) The house where the father grew up.
(d) The house of the father's best friend.
11. What do the father and son find that they use to make cakes?
12. The father wakes from a dream and claims dreaming is not good -- what was he dreaming about?
(a) A nightmare of his son being killed.
(b) His childhood.
(c) His wife's suicide.
(d) A woman he once knew.
13. What does the son think is close by the barn?
14. What are the father and son running out of as they travel?
15. What is the father doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Looking over his child as he sleeps.
(b) Walking down a deserted road.
(d) Preparing dinner for his child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father fix to the cart to keep the limbs away as they move down the road?
2. What do the father and son do when they reach the city?
3. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the father claim about the men of the world?
4. Why is the son becoming increasingly cold?
5. As the father and son continue their journey, why is it getting so difficult to push the cart?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)