|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the son think is close by the barn?
2. The night after the incident with the man on the road, the father has a dream -- what does he dream about?
(a) His son.
(b) His own death.
(c) The other woman.
(d) His wife.
3. After passing the stone wall, what do the father and son hear that makes them hide?
(a) Wild dogs.
(b) Army trucks.
4. What does the father notice that makes him question whether he is a good father?
(a) How sick his son is getting.
(b) How thin his son is getting.
(c) How tired his son is getting.
(d) How sad his son is getting.
5. What does the father decide to do about the man who has collapsed on the road?
(a) The father helps the man.
(b) The father leaves the man where he lies and they walk on.
(c) The father pushes the man out of the way and yells at him.
(d) The father shoots the man in the head to end his misery.
6. What do the father and son find that they use to make cakes?
7. As the father and son continue their journey, why is it getting so difficult to push the cart?
(a) The terrain is too rough and covered with rocks.
(b) The snow is getting worse.
(c) The cart is falling apart.
(d) The rain is falling too heavily.
8. Along the road, what do the father and son encounter that makes them stop?
(a) A jackknifed truck.
(b) A burned out bus.
(c) A herd of sheep.
(d) A dead body.
9. What has happened to the woman that the father has a dream about?
(a) She's dead.
(b) She's healthy and happy.
(c) She's alone and pregnant.
(d) She's hurt.
10. What house do the father and son go to after leaving the supermarket?
(a) The house where the father grew up.
(b) The house of the father's best friend.
(c) The house where the son's mother grew up.
(d) The house where the son was born.
11. After finding their destination, what does the father wish he had for their cart?
(a) An extra tarp.
(b) A sled runner.
(c) Better traction.
(d) Better wheels.
12. What does the father use to make wrappings for himself and his son's feet?
(a) An old shirt and rope.
(b) An old coat and bits of tarp.
(c) Pieces of bark and tape.
(d) Giant leaves with twine.
13. Near the edge of a city, the father and son come to a house -- what does the father find inside the house?
14. Where are the father and son sleeping at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(b) In a hotel.
(c) In a house.
(d) In a trailer.
15. After leaving the first location visited in Chapter 1, the father and son reach a city -- why does the father presume there is no life there?
(a) He does not see any lights.
(b) He does not see any people.
(c) He does not see any smoke coming from the city.
(d) He does not see any cars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What covers the city that the father and son explore?
2. What does the father fix to the cart to keep the limbs away as they move down the road?
3. After coming to the roadblock, why do the father and son stop and stay for the night?
4. While trying to shelter themselves from the rain, what does the father talk to the son about for a long period of time?
5. What type of games do the father and son play?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)