|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What covers the city that the father and son explore?
(a) Dirt and tar.
(c) Ash and dust.
2. Why is the son becoming increasingly cold?
(a) It is snowing.
(b) He has no coat.
(c) It is windy.
(d) It is raining.
3. What do the father and son find inside a trailer along the road?
(a) Piles of clothes.
(b) Boxes of food.
(c) Gallons of water.
(d) Dead bodies.
4. Near the edge of a city, the father and son come to a house -- what does the father find inside the house?
5. What does the father do to the son after they come upon the thing in the doorway?
(a) Yells at the son to look away.
(b) Pushes the son out of the way.
(c) Reassures the son.
(d) Yells at the son to run.
6. After finding their destination, what does the father wish he had for their cart?
(a) Better wheels.
(b) Better traction.
(c) A sled runner.
(d) An extra tarp.
7. What are the father and son running out of as they travel?
8. After coming to the roadblock, why do the father and son stop and stay for the night?
(a) It is raining.
(b) It is too windy.
(c) It is snowing.
(d) They are tired.
9. When did the father's wife shoot herself?
(a) When the son was two.
(b) Right before they started their road trip.
(c) After they had gotten in a fight.
(d) When the son was born.
10. While traveling, why do the father and son leave their fires alight?
(a) To help them if they get lost.
(b) So no one can know exactly where they are.
(c) So fellow travelers can follow them.
(d) To help ward off wild animals.
11. After leaving the first location in Chapter 1, what do the father and son turn back to get?
12. After passing the stone wall, what do the father and son hear that makes them hide?
(b) Army trucks.
(d) Wild dogs.
13. The father has a hard time remembering how to play the games -- what does he do?
(a) He gets angry.
(b) He gets embarrassed.
(c) He makes the son look for firewood.
(d) He makes up new ones.
14. While trying to shelter themselves from the rain, what does the father talk to the son about for a long period of time?
(a) The impenetrable blackness.
(b) The impenetrable future.
(c) The impenetrable sunshine.
(d) The impenetrable rain.
15. What does the father claim about his memory from his childhood?
(a) It is his only memory from his childhood.
(b) It was the perfect time of his childhood.
(c) It was his worst memory of his childhood.
(d) It is his only happy memory from his childhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father tell the son has happened to the man who collapses in the road?
2. What does the boy find when they take things from the cart?
3. The day after the father and son make cakes, what happens when the son calls out to the person who approaches him?
4. What does the father claim could happen to himself and his son if they get wet?
5. What do the father and son find in the woods that they eat for dinner?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)