• The father looks over his son as he sleeps; he questions whether they can make it through the winter.
• The father uses a cart to push his son and their knapsacks along the road.
• At an abandoned gas station, the father tries calling his old house.
• The father and son come to a city; there is no smoke coming from the city so the father presumes there is no life there.
• The son asks the father about death, and the father assures the son they will not die just yet.
• While the son is sleeping, the father steps away so he won't hear his coughing fit.
• The father prays to God.
• In one of the doorways of the city lies a dead, dried-up body.
• The father reassures his son.
• The father remembers his own childhood when he used to go boating with his uncle on a lake...
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)