|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of shop was attached to the Brooker's boarding house?
(a) A smoke shop.
(b) A tripe shop.
(c) A women's dress shop.
(d) A small grocery.
2. What could happen to cause a miner to lose one or two days pay?
(a) A new training session.
(b) A broken elevator.
(c) An over-scheduling mistake.
(d) A machinery breakdown or a fault.
3. How did Orwell react to the train moving into the countryside?
(a) He was confused as to where the train was headed.
(b) He was sad to be leaving his home.
(c) He was happy to be out of the dark and dirty city.
(d) He was happy to be seeing his family again.
4. What were "caravan dwellings?"
(a) Housing set up for criminals.
(b) Trailers that were brought in after the war for housing.
(c) Traveling circus employees' tent cities.
(d) Trailers for the government workers in the city.
5. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
(a) Free tool sharpening.
(b) Reduced cost of the coal for their houses.
(c) Bonus for meeting coal goals.
(d) Bonus for on-time work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did miners tell Orwell about why they ate less than he did at a meal?
2. What is one superstition miner sometimes hold to?
3. Why does every miner have a blue scar on his nose and forehead?
4. In what positions did Orwell find himself moving through the tunnels in the coal mine?
5. What is a "blind back?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the common conditions in the houses Orwell studied for his book?
2. How did a miner clean up upon returning home? Why was cleaning up after work such a difficult task?
3. What were the three terms Orwell used to describe the construction of the substandard housing in Wigan and Sheffield? How are they each affected by the lavatories available to them?
4. What is nystagmus? How is it contracted? How is it cured? What happened to a miner in Orwell's time who contracted nystagmus?
5. What difference did Orwell see in the lives of the working class and the bourgeois that had to do with the humiliation suffered by many miners?
6. What were some of the reasons Orwell gave for a miner's pay being much lower than his publicized wage?
7. Orwell stated that the Brookers were typical of most people in the modern world. What characteristics did he point out as typical?
8. What were the two largest causes of death to a miner on the job? What were the causes of these hazards?
9. Why did Orwell believe that our civilization is founded on coal? How did he relate this belief to the coal miner?
10. Describe the elevator that took Orwell and the miners down to the tunnels.
This section contains 1,556 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)