|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the fillers wear?
(a) Shorts, light tee shirts and knee pads.
(b) Long cotton pants and clogs.
(c) Thin drawers, clogs and knee pads.
(d) Shorts, light tee shirts and clogs.
2. What were some of the most common conditions Orwell notes of housing in the industrial areas?
(a) Unopenable windows, bugs, and overcrowding.
(b) Overcrowding, no roof, no dishes.
(c) Bugs, no bedding, no stove.
(d) No hot water, no electircity, no roof.
3. With what phrase did all of Mrs. Brooker's complaints end?
(a) "It does seem 'ard, don't it now?"
(b) "I just as well die tonight!"
(c) "I hate it all, all I say."
(d) "It do seem unfair, don't it?"
4. What was the most understandable cause of accidents in a mine?
(a) Collapsing roofs.
(d) Gas explosions.
5. How does a miner bathe after dinner?
(a) In a hot bath tub.
(b) With a basin of water and a washcloth.
(c) In a tub outside in the yard.
(d) In an outdoor shower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Orwell find to be the determining factor in the way housekeeping was done?
2. What author accused miners of gluttony?
3. Who was Emmie?
4. To what man did Orwell compare the coal miner?
5. What is a snap can?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the coal mines like for Orwell? How did he see the men who mined the coal?
2. How did a miner clean up upon returning home? Why was cleaning up after work such a difficult task?
3. Why did Orwell believe that our civilization is founded on coal? How did he relate this belief to the coal miner?
4. How did Orwell describe the housing in the industrial towns of England? When were most of the houses built?
5. How did Orwell describe his room at the Brookers?
6. What were some of the reasons Orwell gave for a miner's pay being much lower than his publicized wage?
7. What is nystagmus? How is it contracted? How is it cured? What happened to a miner in Orwell's time who contracted nystagmus?
8. Describe the meals Orwell was offered while living at the Brookers. Who cooked the meals? What were the boarders given to eat for dinner?
9. Why did Orwell believe it was important to understand the working conditions of the miners? What did he see as the larger story?
10. What did the miners look like when they emerged from the coal mines? What were some of the first things they did upon coming above ground?
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)