|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were "caravan dwellings?"
(a) Trailers that were brought in after the war for housing.
(b) Housing set up for criminals.
(c) Trailers for the government workers in the city.
(d) Traveling circus employees' tent cities.
2. How did D. H. Lawrence come to Orwell's mind as he rode the train?
(a) He was reading a book of poetry.
(b) He looked out over snow-covered hills.
(c) He met a passenger whose name was Lawrence.
(d) He looked at a beautiful girl.
3. What did the fillers wear?
(a) Thin drawers, clogs and knee pads.
(b) Long cotton pants and clogs.
(c) Shorts, light tee shirts and knee pads.
(d) Shorts, light tee shirts and clogs.
4. Why did Orwell believe the return trip through the tunnels was worse than the initial one?
(a) Because he was alone in the dark.
(b) Because he was forced to move very quickly.
(c) Because he was terribly hungry.
(d) Because he was going slightly uphill on the return.
5. What is "traveling?"
(a) Going up and down in the elevator.
(b) The unpaid time it takes to crawl through the tunnels to the job site.
(c) Getting to and from the mine from the miner's home.
(d) The unpaid time it takes to get from the job site to the eating area.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "The Coal Scuttle?"
2. In a year, how many minors are killed at work?
3. What were "cream crackers?"
4. Who was Mr. Reilly?
5. How did Orwell describe the meals at the Brooker's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the common conditions in the houses Orwell studied for his book?
2. When people moved into the Corporation housing, what were some of the restrictions by which they had to abide?
3. What were the caravan dwellings Orwell speaks about in his book? How many were there in Wigan? What were the living conditions in these caravan dwelling?
4. What were the two largest causes of death to a miner on the job? What were the causes of these hazards?
5. How did Orwell describe his room at the Brookers?
6. What were the coal mines like for Orwell? How did he see the men who mined the coal?
7. What were the newer government (Corporation) houses like? What were the positive and negative aspects of the housing?
8. How did Orwell describe the housing in the industrial towns of England? When were most of the houses built?
9. Why were the fillers an important part of the coal mining business? What were their jobs?
10. Who were the newspaper canvassers, and what were their jobs?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)