|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Orwell believe the return trip through the tunnels was worse than the initial one?
(a) Because he was terribly hungry.
(b) Because he was alone in the dark.
(c) Because he was going slightly uphill on the return.
(d) Because he was forced to move very quickly.
2. In one town, what was built instead of public housing the town desperately needed?
(a) A library.
(b) A museum.
(c) A town hall.
(d) A recreational area.
3. What did many of the old timers believe about miners washing their legs?
(a) Washing is for women only.
(b) Washing causes ulcers.
(c) Washing is bad luck.
(d) Washing causes lumbago.
4. What was the only quality associated with hell that was not in the coal mine?
(b) Foul air.
5. Who was Old Jack?
(a) An ex-soldier, 75 years old, whose legs were both amputated after a battle.
(b) An ex-miner, 78 years old, who worked for over fifty years in the coal pits.
(c) An ex-shopkeeper, around 80, who retired and sold his shop.
(d) An ex-miner, 80 years old, whose left hand had been severed in a mining accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other types of expenses were taken from the miner's pay?
2. To what did Orwell compare the sound of the conveyor belt in the mine?
3. What were some of the most common conditions Orwell notes of housing in the industrial areas?
4. Who did most of the cooking and laundry at the Brooker house?
5. What was done with the unusable shale inside of the mines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is nystagmus? How is it contracted? How is it cured? What happened to a miner in Orwell's time who contracted nystagmus?
2. What were the caravan dwellings Orwell speaks about in his book? How many were there in Wigan? What were the living conditions in these caravan dwelling?
3. There were three shift in the mines Orwell discussed. What happened in each of the three shifts?
4. What were some of the common conditions in the houses Orwell studied for his book?
5. Why did Orwell leave the Brookers? Where did he go? How did he respond to his train trip leaving town?
6. Who were some of the boarders at the Brooker's rooming house? How were thought of by the Brookers?
7. How did a miner clean up upon returning home? Why was cleaning up after work such a difficult task?
8. How did Orwell come to write "The Road to Wigan Pier?" When did he write the book? For whom? What were the three parts of the book when it was originally published?
9. What were the coal mines like for Orwell? How did he see the men who mined the coal?
10. Why were the fillers an important part of the coal mining business? What were their jobs?
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)