|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did each of the permanent lodgers get for their ten shillings a week rent?
(a) A couch in a living area, a shared bath, and one meal a day.
(b) A bed in the attic and meals that were mostly bread and butter.
(c) A bedroom, a shared bath, and two meals a day.
(d) An attic room, a toilet, and one meal a day.
2. What is the first thing a miner does when he comes up from the mine?
(a) Strips off his shirt and wipes his face.
(b) Goes home to bathe.
(c) Gargles water to get the coal dust out of his nose and mouth.
(d) Drinks large quantities of water.
3. What was the average size of one of the dwellings?
(a) Twenty feet wide by five feet high.
(b) Five feet wide by six feet high.
(c) Ten feet wide by ten feet high.
(d) Ten feet wide by twelve feet high.
4. When a miner comes up from the pit, why does he appear to be pale?
(a) Because of the foul air he has been breathing.
(b) Because he has not been in the sun.
(c) Because he is thirsty.
(d) Because he is exhausted.
5. Who was Old Jack?
(a) An ex-soldier, 75 years old, whose legs were both amputated after a battle.
(b) An ex-miner, 78 years old, who worked for over fifty years in the coal pits.
(c) An ex-shopkeeper, around 80, who retired and sold his shop.
(d) An ex-miner, 80 years old, whose left hand had been severed in a mining accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author accused miners of gluttony?
2. How did Orwell react to the train moving into the countryside?
3. What did Orwell say the fillers looked like?
4. In a year, how many minors are killed at work?
5. What were the first sounds Orwell heard in the morning when he woke at the Brookers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the two largest causes of death to a miner on the job? What were the causes of these hazards?
2. Who were some of the boarders at the Brooker's rooming house? How were thought of by the Brookers?
3. Describe the meals Orwell was offered while living at the Brookers. Who cooked the meals? What were the boarders given to eat for dinner?
4. What is nystagmus? How is it contracted? How is it cured? What happened to a miner in Orwell's time who contracted nystagmus?
5. What were the coal mines like for Orwell? How did he see the men who mined the coal?
6. Why were the fillers an important part of the coal mining business? What were their jobs?
7. There were three shift in the mines Orwell discussed. What happened in each of the three shifts?
8. When people moved into the Corporation housing, what were some of the restrictions by which they had to abide?
9. What difference did Orwell see in the lives of the working class and the bourgeois that had to do with the humiliation suffered by many miners?
10. What were some of the reasons Orwell gave for a miner's pay being much lower than his publicized wage?
This section contains 1,597 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)