|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Conway feel about being a colonial, in "Recharting the Globe"?
2. In "Finding the Southern Cross," how long did Barry stay at Coorain?
3. How did working as a medical practice receptionist change Conway?
4. Why was Conway rejected from the Department of External Affairs?
5. How did Conway describe her time in Catalonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Conway began drinking, in "The Nardoo Stones"?
2. In "Finding the Southern Cross," what was life like at Abbotsleigh for Conway?
3. How did Conway feel about England after visiting it?
4. What happened when Barry returned to Coorain, in "Finding the Southern Cross"?
5. What interested Conway most about Ceylon?
6. In "Schooling," what did Conway learn about herself?
7. What happened when Conway questioned her academic future, in "Recharting the Globe"?
8. What disagreement did the Kers have about Bob's twenty-first birthday?
9. In "Recharting the Globe," how did Conway feel about not getting the job with External Affairs?
10. What did Conway want to see during her vacation, in "Recharting the Globe"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Conway use descriptive passages and dialogue to develop scenes in her autobiography? In what way did her use of these techniques mirror fiction? In what way did they not?
Essay Topic 2
How was Conway herself colonized? How did she compare this to Australia?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the titles of the chapters in this book. What do they symbolize? Foreshadow? What made the titles effective or ineffective?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)