|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mr. Ker hire Bob McLennan?
2. Why did the Ker land venture get off to a bad start?
3. Who did Mr. Ker talk to before leaving, in "Drought"?
4. In "The West," why did Conway say Australians kept a working class style?
5. In "The West," when did Conway say Australia had one of the highest per capita incomes in the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The West," why did the settlers choose to ranch sheep?
2. How did the silence at Coorain affect the Kers?
3. How were the Ker children educated?
4. In "The West," what was the effect of the settlers Conway described?
5. Why were Conway's parents married in a protestant service?
6. How did Conway's parents feel before moving to Coorain?
7. What happened to Coorain after Mr. Ker's death?
8. Why did the rich men of Australia maintain a rough appearance in the early 20th century?
9. What was Conway's relationship with her brothers like when she was a chilld?
10. How did Conway and her mother feel about leaving Coorain after Mr. Ker's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Conway redefine family in her autobiography?
Essay Topic 2
How was Conway herself colonized? How did she compare this to Australia?
Essay Topic 3
How was gender defined in "The Road from Coorain"? What role does gender play?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)