|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Childhood," what moral issues did Conway spend her time thinking about?
2. In "Drought," why couldn't the sheep at Coorain be sheered?
3. As a teenager, to which country did Conway's father feel loyal?
4. Why did Mrs. Ker get an award in "Childhood"?
5. In "Drought," what made the Kers decide to go into debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mr. Ker die?
2. Before the white settles came to New South Wales, what other people were there?
3. How did Mrs. Ker's involvement with the Red Cross change her?
4. How did the country boys act in boarding school?
5. How did the silence at Coorain affect the Kers?
6. In "The West," why did the settlers choose to ranch sheep?
7. How did Conway and her mother feel about leaving Coorain after Mr. Ker's death?
8. What did the Kers do after they began to make money from the land at Coorain?
9. In "The West," what did Conway say about the women of Australia?
10. What did Mrs. Ker do after Jill was born, in "Coorain"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Conway use other texts in her autobiography? Consider the inclusion of other pieces of literature and philosophy. Why may Conway have included these?
Essay Topic 2
How did Conway redefine family in her autobiography?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the titles of the chapters in this book. What do they symbolize? Foreshadow? What made the titles effective or ineffective?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)