|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did most of the girls at Abbotsleigh desire?
(a) To marry someone rich.
(b) To move to the United States.
(c) To work the same jobs as men.
(d) To be society women.
2. What about Ceylon made Conway resent the British?
(a) The language.
(b) The poverty.
(c) The wealth.
(d) The crime.
3. Why did Mrs. Ker dislike the medieval architecture, in "Recharting the Globe"?
(a) She didn't like old things.
(b) She thought they were ugly.
(c) She liked medieval architecture.
(d) She hated Catholic culture.
4. Why did Conway begin drinking too much, in "The Nardoo Stones"?
(a) To meet people.
(b) To deal with her obligations.
(c) To fall asleep.
(d) To impress Peter.
5. Why did Conway feel frustrated with Australian historians?
(a) Because they focused on Western history.
(b) Because they focused on the elite.
(c) Because they ignored the influence of farmers.
(d) Because they focused on modern history.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Conway feel when she first attended Queenwood School?
2. How did Conway feel about being a colonial, in "Recharting the Globe"?
3. In "Schooling," where did Conway and her mother live?
4. Why did Conway want to return to Coorain after her first year at college?
5. How did Conway's mother feel about her relationship with Peter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the curriculum at Abbotsleigh?
2. What happened when Conway questioned her academic future, in "Recharting the Globe"?
3. What did Conway want to see during her vacation, in "Recharting the Globe"?
4. What happened when Conway began drinking, in "The Nardoo Stones"?
5. Even after attending schools near Sydney, why didn't Conway fit in with her peers?
6. What disagreement did the Kers have about Bob's twenty-first birthday?
7. How did Conway feel about England after visiting it?
8. In "Schooling," what did Conway learn about herself?
9. How did reading Marx affect Conway?
10. What happened when Conway first returned to school in 1954?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)