|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Conway's family collect water at Coorain?
(a) Because it was their job.
(b) Because it was worth more money there.
(c) Because there wasn't much naturally.
(d) Because they had a private stream.
2. What happened to cause Australia to break loyalty with England during World War II?
(a) They stopped buying English products.
(b) They asked the United States for help.
(c) They declared their independence.
(d) They refused to sent their military to help England.
3. Why did Conway's mother avoid the Catholic church?
(a) She was a Baptist.
(b) She didn't like their views on gender roles.
(c) She hated the way they took money.
(d) She knew she was a sinner.
4. Why did the Ker land venture get off to a bad start?
(a) There was a lot of disease in the area.
(b) There was a drought.
(c) They weren't educated enough.
(d) They did not buy enough sheep.
5. What did Angus tell Conway after her father's death?
(a) That she should go to church.
(b) That she needs to work more at Coorain.
(c) That she should leave Coorain.
(d) That she should let her mother take a vacation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Coorain," why didn't Conway's mother have a hysterectomy?
2. What did Obecue build for the Kers?
3. What happened when Mr. Ker left Coorain in "Drought"?
4. Why did Mrs. Ker help the Red Cross?
5. Why did Conway's mother dislike the farm in the Western Division in "Coorain"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before moving to Coorain, what did Conway's father do?
2. How did Mr. Ker die?
3. In "Childhood," what did Conway say happened to the farm in the time before World War II?
4. In "The West," why did the settlers choose to ranch sheep?
5. Before the white settles came to New South Wales, what other people were there?
6. What did Mrs. Ker do after Jill was born, in "Coorain"?
7. What did Mrs. Ker learn when she visited a doctor, in "Coorain"?
8. In "The West," how were the Western Plains described?
9. In "Drought," how did World War II affect Australia?
10. During World War II, what changed regarding the farm workers at Coorain?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)