|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The West," why did Conway say Australians kept a working class style?
(a) Australians didn't keep a working class style.
(b) Because it was all they could afford.
(c) Because few lived in cities.
(d) Because it frightened visitors.
2. What was the result of Bob McLennan's work at Coorain, in "Childhood"?
(a) They could help the war effort better.
(b) They could fire more workers.
(c) They could grow more crops.
(d) They could take a vacation.
3. When did the terrible drought in "Drought" begin?
4. How old did Conway say she was before she met another female child?
5. What did Obecue build for the Kers?
(a) A shearing shed.
(b) A barn.
(c) An addition on their house.
(d) A water aquafier.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many brothers did Conway have?
2. Why did Mrs. Ker help the Red Cross?
3. In "The West," how did Conway describe the virtues of Australia?
4. In "The West," how long ago did Conway say white settlers came?
5. Why did the Kers send Barry to King's School?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of "Childhood," what did Conway admit about her childhood.
2. How did Conway and her mother feel about leaving Coorain after Mr. Ker's death?
3. Why were Conway's parents married in a protestant service?
4. In "Drought," how did World War II affect Australia?
5. How did the silence at Coorain affect the Kers?
6. In "The West," what things did Conway say made Australians proud?
7. What was Conway's life like when she joined her father in working the farm, in "Childhood"?
8. In "The West," what was the effect of the settlers Conway described?
9. Why did Conway's mother leave her parents' home before she was married?
10. In "The West," how were the Western Plains described?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)