|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the terrible drought in "Drought" begin?
2. What was the result of Bob McLennan's work at Coorain, in "Childhood"?
(a) They could fire more workers.
(b) They could take a vacation.
(c) They could help the war effort better.
(d) They could grow more crops.
3. Why did Bob go to Sydney in 1940?
(a) For boarding school.
(b) For work.
(c) To take a long vacation.
(d) To study medicine.
4. How many brothers did Conway have?
5. In "Childhood," what did Conway say she was sure of, regarding her parents?
(a) That she was on her own.
(b) That she had their attention.
(c) That she was the favorite child.
(d) That she was well supported financially.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became the political elite after the settlers landed in New South Wales?
2. Why did Mrs. Ker like fund-raising for the Red Cross?
3. In "The West," when did Conway say Australia had one of the highest per capita incomes in the world?
4. Who was the oldest of the Conway children?
5. Why did Mrs. Ker refuse to sell Coorain after her husband's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mrs. Ker do after Jill was born, in "Coorain"?
2. Why did Conway's mother leave her parents' home before she was married?
3. What did the Kers do after they began to make money from the land at Coorain?
4. How did the country boys act in boarding school?
5. At the end of "Childhood," what did Conway admit about her childhood.
6. How did Conway and her mother feel about leaving Coorain after Mr. Ker's death?
7. During World War II, what changed regarding the farm workers at Coorain?
8. How did the dust storms of the 1940s affect Coorain?
9. In "The West," what was the effect of the settlers Conway described?
10. In "Childhood," what did Conway say happened to the farm in the time before World War II?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)