|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Conway's mother dislike the farm in the Western Division in "Coorain"?
(a) Because she was a difficult woman.
(b) Because she felt like it wasn't her land.
(c) Because she disliked her husband.
(d) Because she was from the city.
2. What was Bob McLennan's main job at Coorain?
(a) To fix the water filter.
(b) To manage the other workers.
(c) To find water.
(d) To sell water.
3. In "Childhood," what did Conway say her early years may have looked like?
4. Why did the Ker land venture get off to a bad start?
(a) They did not buy enough sheep.
(b) There was a drought.
(c) There was a lot of disease in the area.
(d) They weren't educated enough.
5. What was Conway's father's first job?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Coorain," what does Conway remember about life at home with her mother and brothers?
2. Why did the number of men in Australia outnumber the women, in "The West"?
3. When Conway's mother discovered she had uterine growths, why were the doctors concerned?
4. How old was Conway during the great rain described, in "Childhood"?
5. In "Drought," why couldn't the sheep at Coorain be sheered?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Drought," how did World War II affect Australia?
2. In "The West," why did the settlers choose to ranch sheep?
3. Why did the rich men of Australia maintain a rough appearance in the early 20th century?
4. In "The West," what did Conway say about the women of Australia?
5. What was Conway's relationship with her brothers like when she was a chilld?
6. In "The West," what was the effect of the settlers Conway described?
7. During World War II, what changed regarding the farm workers at Coorain?
8. What happened to Coorain after Mr. Ker's death?
9. In "The West," how were the Western Plains described?
10. What was Conway's life like when she joined her father in working the farm, in "Childhood"?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)