|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Conway consider doing after graduating from Abbotsleigh?
(a) Going to college.
(b) Learning a third language.
(c) Working at Coorain.
(d) Traveling Europe.
2. In "Recharting the Globe," what did Conway say women lacked?
(a) Educational opportunities.
(c) Political influence.
(d) Creative outlets.
3. In "The Nardoo Stones," who does Conway begin going to the bar with?
(a) A group of communists.
(b) Her roommates.
(c) A writers' guild.
(d) A pair of twins.
4. When did Conway decide to focus on history at college?
(a) Her first year.
(b) Her third year.
(c) Her second year.
(d) Her fourth year.
5. What history did Conway learn at Abbotsleigh?
(a) French history.
(b) English history.
(c) Australian history.
(d) American history.
6. How did Conway describe her time in Catalonia?
7. When Conway lost weight, what else did she do?
(a) Began dressing more fashionably.
(b) Began writing down exercise regimens.
(c) Began going out at night.
(d) Began teaching nutrition.
8. In "Recharting the Globe," how long did Conway and her mother stay in England?
(a) Nearly a year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Six days.
9. In "Finding the Southern Cross," how long did Barry stay at Coorain?
(a) Eight months.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Six months.
10. How did Conway feel about being a colonial, in "Recharting the Globe"?
(a) She didn't care.
(b) She hated it.
(c) She was torn over it.
(d) She loved it.
11. How did Ceylon enlighten Conway's religious education?
(a) She saw a mosque.
(b) She met a group of Jewish children.
(c) She read the Bible.
(d) She learned about Buddah.
12. Which philosopher did Conway relate to because of his mother-daughter ideas?
13. How did realizing the professional barriers facing women change Conway's opinion of her mother?
(a) She pitied her more.
(b) Her opinion stayed the same.
(c) She disliked her philosophy.
(d) She understood her better.
14. At Abbotsleigh, what was Conway trained to believe about herself?
(a) That she knew more than her mother.
(b) That she was a leader.
(c) That she was meant to be someone's husband.
(d) That she should always be respectful.
15. After Bob's death, what did Mrs. Ker assume about her remaining children?
(a) That they would die before she did.
(b) That they would send her to a hospital.
(c) That they would walk out on her.
(d) That they would die accidental deaths.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did working as a medical practice receptionist change Conway?
2. How did Conway describe the group of girls she served as prefect?
3. Why did Mrs. Ker move to Waitara?
4. After visiting England, what did Conway feel had merged with the British Empire?
5. How did Bob die?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)