|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Ker buy a house in Pennant Hills?
(a) Because the housing market was in a slump.
(b) Because it was left to her from an aunt.
(c) Because money from Coorain picked up again.
(d) Because she received a benefit check from her husband's estate.
2. What did the manager of Coorain do while Mrs. Ker was away, in "Recharting the Globe"?
(a) He sold off half the sheep.
(b) He quit his job.
(c) He did renovations.
(d) He fired and hired workers.
3. How did Conway describe the group of girls she served as prefect?
4. How did Conway feel about school work at Queenwood?
(a) She didn't have any school work.
(b) She struggled with it.
(c) She couldn't understand any of it.
(d) She felt it was easy.
5. During their trip to Europe, in "Recharting the Globe," what country did Conway and her mother visit first?
6. How did Conway feel about public school?
(a) Like it was a gift.
(b) It scared her.
(c) It reminded her of the brush.
(d) Like it was beneath her.
7. Why did Mrs. Ker send Barry back to Coorain, in "Finding the Southern Cross"?
(a) Because she didn't trust Coorain's manager.
(b) Barry chose to go back to Coorain on his own.
(c) Because she wanted him to work.
(d) Because she wanted to be alone.
8. Why was Conway rejected from the Department of External Affairs?
(a) Because her grades were poor.
(b) Because she was young.
(c) Because she was late to the interview.
(d) Because she was a girl.
9. How did Mrs. Ker help Barry's friends visit him while he stayed at Coorain?
(a) She let Barry come home each weekend.
(b) She bought Barry's friends train tickets.
(c) She let him borrow her car.
(d) She bought him a plane.
10. How did Conway feel when she graduated from Abbotsleigh?
11. How did Conway feel about being a colonial, in "Recharting the Globe"?
(a) She loved it.
(b) She didn't care.
(c) She was torn over it.
(d) She hated it.
12. What made Peter Stone different from Australian men, according to Conway?
(a) His physical abilities.
(b) His poltical beliefs.
(c) His height.
(d) His love of smart women.
13. What about Ceylon made Conway resent the British?
(a) The poverty.
(b) The wealth.
(c) The language.
(d) The crime.
14. Why did Conway begin drinking too much, in "The Nardoo Stones"?
(a) To fall asleep.
(b) To meet people.
(c) To impress Peter.
(d) To deal with her obligations.
15. In "Finding the Southern Cross," what did Conway stop doing after Bob's death?
(a) Doing her homework.
(b) Sleeping at night.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Reading with her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Nardoo Stones," who does Conway begin going to the bar with?
2. In "Recharting the Globe," how long did Conway and her mother stay in England?
3. What history did Conway learn at Abbotsleigh?
4. Which philosopher did Conway relate to because of his mother-daughter ideas?
5. Why did Conway desire to know the history of the brush?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)