|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Conway begin drinking too much, in "The Nardoo Stones"?
(a) To fall asleep.
(b) To meet people.
(c) To impress Peter.
(d) To deal with her obligations.
2. After Bob's death, what did Mrs. Ker assume about her remaining children?
(a) That they would die accidental deaths.
(b) That they would die before she did.
(c) That they would walk out on her.
(d) That they would send her to a hospital.
3. Why did Conway desire to know the history of the brush?
(a) Because it was controversial.
(b) Because it was ignored.
(c) Because it reminded her of her father.
(d) She didn't want to know the history of the bush.
4. After visiting England, what did Conway feel had merged with the British Empire?
(b) The church.
(c) Northern Africa.
5. In "Recharting the Globe," what did Conway say women lacked?
(b) Educational opportunities.
(c) Political influence.
(d) Creative outlets.
6. After visiting England, how did Conway describe English culture?
7. What about Ceylon made Conway resent the British?
(a) The language.
(b) The wealth.
(c) The poverty.
(d) The crime.
8. What did Conway decide after her first year at the University of Sydney?
(a) To travel for a semester.
(b) To drop out.
(c) To switch majors.
(d) To transfer.
9. At the end of their trip, in "Recharting the Globe," what did Conway tell her mother?
(a) That she needed a loan for graduate school.
(b) That she would attend Barry's wedding.
(c) That she might stay in Europe.
(d) That she would no longer be living with her.
10. What buildings did Conway want to see, in "Recharting the Globe"?
(a) The newest ones in the European style.
(b) The ones in her favorite novel.
(c) The ones she learned about.
(d) The ones her mother preferred.
11. Why did Mrs. Ker buy a house in Pennant Hills?
(a) Because money from Coorain picked up again.
(b) Because she received a benefit check from her husband's estate.
(c) Because the housing market was in a slump.
(d) Because it was left to her from an aunt.
12. Which philosopher did Conway relate to because of his mother-daughter ideas?
13. In "Recharting the Globe," how did Conway feel about the barriers facing women?
14. In "The Nardoo Stones," why did Conway feel like she couldn't disagree with her mother?
(a) She didn't want to argue at all.
(b) She felt like they were becoming friends.
(c) Mrs. Ker stopped talking.
(d) She didn't want to make her sick.
15. How did Conway describe her first months in Sydney?
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Spain, in "Recharting the Globe," why did Mrs. Ker become upset?
2. How did Conway's mother feel about her relationship with Peter?
3. Why did Conway develop a fever in Sydney?
4. How did Conway feel when she first attended Queenwood School?
5. How did Mrs. Ker help Barry's friends visit him while he stayed at Coorain?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)