|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Conway worked with her father in "Childhood," what things did she ask him?
(a) Questions about the war.
(b) Questions about his childhood.
(c) Questions about her mother.
(d) Questions about the world.
2. In "The West," why did Conway say Australians kept a working class style?
(a) Australians didn't keep a working class style.
(b) Because it frightened visitors.
(c) Because it was all they could afford.
(d) Because few lived in cities.
3. Why did Conway's mother avoid the Catholic church?
(a) She was a Baptist.
(b) She didn't like their views on gender roles.
(c) She hated the way they took money.
(d) She knew she was a sinner.
4. In "Childhood," how did Conway describe her mother's organizational skills?
(a) As being powerful.
(b) As being weak.
(c) As being hilarious.
(d) As being misguided.
5. In "Drought," what happened to the government of Australia?
(a) They let the Americans advise them.
(b) They passed communist laws.
(c) The Chinese set up a military base in the capital.
(d) The Labor Party took over.
6. Why did Bob go to Sydney in 1940?
(a) For work.
(b) To take a long vacation.
(c) For boarding school.
(d) To study medicine.
7. How long did it take for the Kers to earn money from their sheep in Coorain?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
8. What is remarkable about most of the birds that live in the Western Plains of New South Wales?
(a) They are all minature.
(b) They do not sing.
(c) They follow people around.
(d) They can not fly.
9. How did Conway's father receive land in the Western Division?
(a) From investing his savings.
(b) From his former boss.
(c) From his grandfather.
(d) From being a soldier.
10. As a child, how did Conway describe Bob?
11. How many acres did the first generation of settlers settle in New South Wales?
12. In "Childhood," what did Conway do at night with her mother?
(d) Write poetry.
13. Who was the oldest of the Conway children?
14. Why did the people of Australia not believe in religion?
(a) Because they were segregated from it.
(b) Because the world was hostile.
(c) Because they had belief in science.
(d) Because they felt God had failed them.
15. In "Drought," what made the Kers decide to go into debt?
(a) They lost half their sheep.
(b) A storm damaged their house.
(c) Bob wanted to go to a university.
(d) Conway needed medical attention.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The West," how long ago did Conway say white settlers came?
2. What did Conway say the people of the pasture did for money, in "The West"?
3. When Conway's mother discovered she had uterine growths, why were the doctors concerned?
4. How does ground water affect the vegetation of the Western Plains of New South Wales?
5. Who became the political elite after the settlers landed in New South Wales?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)