|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Conway worked with her father in "Childhood," what things did she ask him?
(a) Questions about her mother.
(b) Questions about the war.
(c) Questions about the world.
(d) Questions about his childhood.
2. How long did it take for the Kers to earn money from their sheep in Coorain?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Four years.
(d) Three years.
3. In "The West," how many acres did the settlers end up with?
4. In "Drought," why couldn't the sheep at Coorain be sheered?
(a) Because the sheep were all missing or dead.
(b) Because they were too weak.
(c) Because there weren't enough people to do it.
(d) Because the sheering equipment was broken.
5. Why did the Ker land venture get off to a bad start?
(a) They did not buy enough sheep.
(b) They weren't educated enough.
(c) There was a lot of disease in the area.
(d) There was a drought.
6. How many acres did the first generation of settlers settle in New South Wales?
7. How did Conway feel while leaving Coorain for Sydney, in "Drought"?
(a) Like she was bettering her life.
(b) Like she was becoming her mother.
(c) Like she was alone in the world.
(d) Like she lost her purpose.
8. How did Conway's mother feel while in Sydney, in "Coorain"?
(a) Like a city woman.
(d) Out of place.
9. What did Conway like about seeing her mother at fundraisers in "Childhood"?
(a) Seeing her mother sing.
(b) Seeing her mother work hard.
(c) Seeing her mother dressed up.
(d) Seeing her mother give speeches.
10. How did settling land affect the price when the whites first came to New South Wales?
(a) It made it cheap.
(b) It changed depending on the crops.
(c) It didn't change the price.
(d) It made it more expensive.
11. What happened when Mr. Ker left Coorain in "Drought"?
(a) He sold his car.
(b) He was robbed.
(c) He was in a car accident.
(d) He moved to the city.
12. In "Childhood," what role did Conway take on the farm?
(a) Milk maid.
(b) Soil tester.
(c) Station hand.
13. What was Bob McLennan's main job at Coorain?
(a) To sell water.
(b) To find water.
(c) To fix the water filter.
(d) To manage the other workers.
14. Why did Conway's family collect water at Coorain?
(a) Because there wasn't much naturally.
(b) Because it was worth more money there.
(c) Because they had a private stream.
(d) Because it was their job.
15. What type of dogs live in the Western Plains of New South Wales?
(a) Show dogs.
(b) Wild dogs.
(c) No dogs live there.
(d) Herding dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the time before World War II, how did the Kers feel about the political events of the world?
2. What did Conway say the people of the pasture did for money, in "The West"?
3. In "The West," how did Conway describe the virtues of Australia?
4. In "Childhood," how did Mrs. Ker treat her children equally?
5. What job did Conway's mother have before moving to the farm?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)