|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Brian could travel in a straight line, about how far would it be to the trading post?
2. What does Brian shout when he thinks about getting rid of Derek?
3. What animal attacked Brian when he was surviving on his own?
4. How deep is the water where Brian finds himself, at the beginning of Chapter 22?
5. How many swimming strokes does Brian take when he realizes how tired he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brian decide he can't leave Derek to go for help?
2. What is determined about Derek's condition, and how well does he recover?
3. What helps Brian fight sleep, in Chapter 18?
4. What does Brian do to protect Derek from the sun?
5. What is Brian's state of mind as he paddles, in Chapter 24?
6. What does Brian decide when he hears a whooshing sound, at the end of Chapter 21?
7. What does Brian see when he begins hallucinating?
8. What horrible thought does Brian have toward morning as he struggles to return to the river?
9. How does Brian get the logs he needs for a raft?
10. Why does Brian decide to take breaks as he paddles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian considers good luck and bad luck and how it affects survival. Discuss good and bad luck and how it relates to Brian and the survival experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Brian encounters an area where beavers have felled a stand of poplars. Discuss beavers, their behavior, and how they helped Brian.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Brian and Derek and how that relationship affects Brian when Derek is unconscious.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)