|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Brian to move the raft down the side of the lake to the river?
2. How much does Brian weigh?
3. How much weight did Brian lose during the ordeal?
4. How many miles did Brian and Derek travel down the river?
5. What can Brian see when he first spots the raft?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Brian find himself after he awakes from sleep?
2. What happens to Brian as the raft goes through the rapids?
3. How does Brian nearly miss seeing the raft?
4. What does Brian decide when he hears a whooshing sound, at the end of Chapter 21?
5. What helps Brian fight sleep, in Chapter 18?
6. Where does Brian put a note in case someone comes looking for them before they make it to the trading post?
7. How does Brian get the logs he needs for a raft?
8. What horrible thought does Brian have toward morning as he struggles to return to the river?
9. What is determined about Derek's condition, and how well does he recover?
10. Why is Brian constantly fighting the raft at first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are times when there is anxiety and uncertainty that lead to suspenseful moments. Discuss suspense and how Paulsen uses suspense in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
By their fourth day in the wilderness, Brian is disgruntled when the survival experience turns into one big happy camping trip. Discuss why Brian believes there is a problem with the way things are going and why Derek does not believe there is a problem with the survival experience at that point in time.
Essay Topic 3
Many times in the novel, Brian struggles with nature and with himself. Discuss conflict in the novel and how it affects the plot.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)