|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Brian weigh?
2. What metaphor does Brian use to describe the weight of the water when he falls off the raft?
3. Where does Brian prick Derek with a knife to see if he is responsive?
4. How fast is the raft careening, in Chapter 21?
5. What does Brian shout when he thinks about getting rid of Derek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brian see when the raft wheels around a bend?
2. Why does Brian decide he has to swim to find the raft?
3. What horrible thought does Brian have toward morning as he struggles to return to the river?
4. What does Brian see and hear, toward the end of Chapter 24?
5. What does Brian consider when the wood he chooses for the raft is soft?
6. What is Brian's state of mind as he paddles, in Chapter 24?
7. What is determined about Derek's condition, and how well does he recover?
8. What does Brian find in Derek's briefcase?
9. Describe the trading post and the people who live there.
10. What does Brian do to protect Derek from the sun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian encounters an area where beavers have felled a stand of poplars. Discuss beavers, their behavior, and how they helped Brian.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the author refers to the back story when Brian survived on his own. Discuss the back story and how the author tells the back story.
Essay Topic 3
Brian forces Derek to leave the survival gear on the plane. Discuss why Brian will not use the survival gear Derek packed.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)