|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal attacked Brian when he was surviving on his own?
2. How much does Brian weigh?
3. How far is the river straight before curving as Brian gets the raft moving?
4. When Brian measures the twists and turns of the river, how far is it to the trading post?
5. What noise does Brian make before the raft strikes something?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Brian frustrated when he passes six bends and still does not see the raft?
2. How does Brian get the logs to the lake?
3. What does Brian discover when he looks at a map he finds?
4. What happens to Brian as the raft goes through the rapids?
5. What is determined about Derek's condition, and how well does he recover?
6. Why does Brian decide he has to swim to find the raft?
7. What does Brian see and hear, toward the end of Chapter 24?
8. Why is Brian constantly fighting the raft at first?
9. Where does Brian find himself after he awakes from sleep?
10. Describe the trading post and the people who live there.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Brian and Derek and how that relationship affects Brian when Derek is unconscious.
Essay Topic 2
Brian begins to have second thoughts about his decision to return to the wilderness and to send away the equipment. Discuss why Brian has second thoughts about his decision to return to the wilderness and to send away the equipment.
Essay Topic 3
Many times in the novel, Brian struggles with nature and with himself. Discuss conflict in the novel and how it affects the plot.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)