|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brian can't believe he _____ on the plane.
2. What shape was the lake where Brian survived the first time?
3. In Chapters 1-3, how long has it been since Brian spent time alone in the Canadian woods?
4. What type of music does the pilot of the plane listen to?
5. How many men come to Brian's house in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Brian discover fire when he was on his own?
2. Why, in Chapter 10, does Brian believe that the rain won't bother him or Derek?
3. How do Brian and Derek compromise on the gear they will keep for their stay at the lake?
4. How is the site selected that Derek and Brian go to?
5. How was Brian hounded by the press when he returned home after surviving fifty-four days in the Canadian woods?
6. What does Brian see when the lightning strikes the shelter?
7. How does Brian make fire?
8. What does Brian say nature is?
9. How does Brian feel after being in the rain all night?
10. Who are Derek, Bill, and Erik?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times in the novel, Brian struggles with nature and with himself. Discuss conflict in the novel and how it affects the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Brian and Derek and how that relationship affects Brian when Derek is unconscious.
Essay Topic 3
By their fourth day in the wilderness, Brian is disgruntled when the survival experience turns into one big happy camping trip. Discuss why Brian believes there is a problem with the way things are going and why Derek does not believe there is a problem with the survival experience at that point in time.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)