|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the flint that Brian finds?
2. What simile does Brian use to describe the greenness of the trees when they land?
3. What protects the shelter from storms?
4. How long ago did Brian's parents divorce?
5. At the end of Chapter 7, what do Brian and Derek find that they set aside to eat later if they have to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Derik, Bill, and Erik want Brian to teach them?
2. Why is Derek the one to go into the wilderness with Brian?
3. What is the problem with Brian that Derek refers to in Chapter 7?
4. How did Brian discover fire when he was on his own?
5. How long does Brian believe it might be before someone would come looking for him and Derek?
6. Who are Derek, Bill, and Erik?
7. How have Brian's senses changed since his experience in the woods?
8. How does Brian tell Derek to deal with the mosquitoes?
9. What gear do Brian and Derek have when the plane leaves?
10. How is the lightning described, in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brian encounters an area where beavers have felled a stand of poplars. Discuss beavers, their behavior, and how they helped Brian.
Essay Topic 2
Brian considers the ways he changed after the fifty-four days he spent in the Canadian wilderness. Discuss how Brian changed after living alone in the wilderness and how Brian changed after his experiences with Derek.
Essay Topic 3
There are times when there is anxiety and uncertainty that lead to suspenseful moments. Discuss suspense and how Paulsen uses suspense in the novel.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)