|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gus begin earning an income at the end of the chapter "Hemingway"?
2. What do Ernie, Emma, and the kids give to Gus in return for fishing lessons?
3. What do Titus and Gus do after Gus comes to an understanding about God?
4. What does Gus do when the girl leaves?
5. How does Pedro plan on waking his family to see the mouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene written about Steve and his family and losing the monkey doll on the mountain.
2. How are Eddy and Gus alike?
3. How does Gus dupe Dutch and why does he do it?
4. What happens to Gus when he meets the most beautiful girl that he could imagine?
5. What is the significance of the chapter title "Closing the Door"?
6. Who are Googler and Mangler and what purpose do they serve?
7. What do Henning and his colleagues do metaphysically that Gus does not understand?
8. How does the story told by Thomas Bigeater affect Gus? Be sure to state specifics from the story.
9. How does Titus use Rodney to explain God to Gus?
10. In what way is Nick a convert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Titus and Descartes comic relief? Why is comic relief a welcome visitor in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What Taoist story does Gus tell at the end of the novel and how does it relate to what Gus has learned?
Essay Topic 3
How are the Orvistons a non-traditional family? How does this effect Gus and Bill Bob?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)