|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the mountain shameful to Gus in "The River Writes"?
2. How does Gus dupe Dutch?
3. What is the girl doing in the tree in the chapter "The Warble of the Water Owl"?
4. What does Gus do a lot of when he first arrives back home at the cabin?
5. What was Bill Bob doing in the cold air that Gus stood to watch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trek that Gus takes after Nick leaves?
2. How does Eddy lead Gus to God?
3. How does Titus feel about God? Be specific in your answer.
4. What happens to Gus when he meets the most beautiful girl that he could imagine?
5. How does Gus dupe Dutch and why does he do it?
6. What does Gus learn about solitude?
7. How is Gus both full and empty emotionally at the end the chapter "Philosophizing"?
8. What neighbors does Gus meet; who are they; what do they do; what do they offer Gus?
9. What is the significance of the chapter title "Closing the Door"?
10. What do Henning and his colleagues do metaphysically that Gus does not understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the conflicts of the Orvistons get resolved?
Essay Topic 2
How are the Orvistons a non-traditional family? How does this effect Gus and Bill Bob?
Essay Topic 3
What significance does the singing mouse play to the theme of hope?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)