|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Ma, Henning, and Bill Bob actually doing when Gus comes home?
2. When Gus awakes in "the River Writes" what does he see in nature?
3. What method of fishing does Gus teach the old man in the chapter "Dutch"?
4. Why was Descartes looking at Gus strangely?
5. What name does Gus give God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gus learn about solitude?
2. What happens to Gus when he meets the most beautiful girl that he could imagine?
3. Why is Bill Bob standing in the cold whistling?
4. What do Henning and his colleagues do metaphysically that Gus does not understand?
5. Gus personifies the creek. How so and what story does he tell about the creek?
6. How is Gus both full and empty emotionally at the end the chapter "Philosophizing"?
7. How does Titus use Rodney to explain God to Gus?
8. In what way is Nick a convert?
9. What is the significance of the chapter title "Closing the Door"?
10. How have Henning and Ma changed since Gus has been away? What do they tell Gus is the reason for the change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens to Gus and Abe? How does this event change Gus's life and understanding?
Essay Topic 2
Address the huge fight at the dinner before Gus leaves to the fishing cabin. What is revealed about his feelings towards his mother and father? What does his eruption say about the way he deals with his feelings? What are their reactions? What do their reactions say about their parenting?
Essay Topic 3
How are Titus and Descartes comic relief? Why is comic relief a welcome visitor in the story?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)