|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick come to Gus for?
2. What does Titus feed Gus on the morning after he spends the night in Portland?
3. At the beginning of the "Eddy" chapter what is Gus's plan for himself?
4. How does Pedro plan on waking his family to see the mouse?
5. What makes the mountain shameful to Gus in "The River Writes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Henning and Ma changed since Gus has been away? What do they tell Gus is the reason for the change?
2. How does Gus become somewhat famous in the chapter "Hemingway"?
3. How do Ma's views of dams differ from Thomas Bigeater's views?
4. How are Eddy and Gus alike?
5. How does Eddy lead Gus to God?
6. Who are Googler and Mangler and what purpose do they serve?
7. On his trip back to Tamanawis, how does Gus approve of God for once?
8. Gus personifies the creek. How so and what story does he tell about the creek?
9. How is Gus both full and empty emotionally at the end the chapter "Philosophizing"?
10. How does Titus use Rodney to explain God to Gus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Gus is the protagonist, who or what is the antagonist? Explain how Gus is the protagonist and why the antagonist is the antagonist.
Essay Topic 2
What does Nick teach Gus about God and how does Nick's story affect Gus?
Essay Topic 3
How are Titus and Descartes comic relief? Why is comic relief a welcome visitor in the story?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)