|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eddy know that Gus was watching her when she was fishing naked?
2. Why doesn't Gus want to use the dairy kids' names?
3. Why was Descartes looking at Gus strangely?
4. What was Bill Bob doing in the cold air that Gus stood to watch?
5. How does Gus speak to the girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. On Gus's trek back home from the source of the Tamanawis, what does he discover about the spiritual source?
2. How does Eddy lead Gus to God?
3. What does Gus learn about solitude?
4. How have Henning and Ma changed since Gus has been away? What do they tell Gus is the reason for the change?
5. Explain the relationship between Descartes and Titus.
6. In what way is Nick a convert?
7. How do Ma's views of dams differ from Thomas Bigeater's views?
8. How does Gus dupe Dutch and why does he do it?
9. Explain the scene written about Steve and his family and losing the monkey doll on the mountain.
10. What do Henning and his colleagues do metaphysically that Gus does not understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Titus and Descartes comic relief? Why is comic relief a welcome visitor in the story?
Essay Topic 2
How are the Orvistons a non-traditional family? How does this effect Gus and Bill Bob?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Henning's view of the world. Where do his understandings come from? How is his background different from Ma's? How does his view of the world affect his children?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)