|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Descartes compare eating cat dung to for humans?
2. When Titus keeps asking Gus philosophical questions, what does Gus continue to answer?
3. What story does Bigeater tell Gus and Ma?
4. Why does Ma write to Gus after she reads the interview?
5. Why does Gus catch the trout in the chapter "Closing the Door"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gus learn about solitude?
2. Explain the scene written about Steve and his family and losing the monkey doll on the mountain.
3. Why can't Gus communicate with Eddy when he meets her?
4. How are Eddy and Gus alike?
5. Explain the relationship between Descartes and Titus.
6. How does Titus feel about God? Be specific in your answer.
7. How does the story told by Thomas Bigeater affect Gus? Be sure to state specifics from the story.
8. What happens to Gus when he meets the most beautiful girl that he could imagine?
9. What is the significance of the chapter title "Closing the Door"?
10. On Gus's trek back home from the source of the Tamanawis, what does he discover about the spiritual source?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Eddy teach Gus about God? How does she do this?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Gus become so depressed after moving to the cabin? How does the depression affect him and how does he decide to pull himself out of the depression?
Essay Topic 3
What does the raven symbolize at the end of the trek for Gus? Why does Gus take the trek? What does he learn? How does the trek change Gus?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)