|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the three third graders get sick in "Being Educated and Gittin' Brung UP"?
2. How does the editor say that the carp got into the parking lot "lake" one spring?
3. What does Ma say happens on the otter hunt?
4. What happens between Carolina and Henning the night they first meet?
5. What allusion does Gus make to his reading of The Compleat Angler as many times as he did?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gus believe that he became a fishing prodigy?
2. What catches Gus completely off guard in his ideal setting and lifestyle?
3. What is the story of the Garbage Gut bass and why is catching him an anticlimax for Gus?
4. How does Gus plan his life to maximize his fishing time?
5. Why does Gus feel sorry for Sigrid the minnow he puts in his tank? What is he learning about himself through his feelings for her?
6. Why does Zeke tell the story of how Henning and Carolina met, and why does he tell it in the fashion that he does?
7. How does Gus describe his parents' relationship?
8. How does the "Rogue River War" create a stronger bond between Carolina and Henning rather than breaking them apart due to their differences?
9. How does Gus differ from the other children?
10. What is a dreefee and how does it affect the Orviston household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the conflicts of the Orvistons get resolved?
Essay Topic 2
What does Nick teach Gus about God and how does Nick's story affect Gus?
Essay Topic 3
What is "The Compleat Angler" and what does in mean to the Orviston family?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)