|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens between Carolina and Henning the night they first meet?
2. What does Gus do about his depression?
3. What does Henning do to his copy of Izaak Walton's book?
4. What does Bill Bob write a check out on for a candy cigarette from Gus?
5. What is Titus wearing that Gus admires but says he would never wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gus does not believe in the vandalism that teenagers cause. What does he do instead?
2. How do Ma and Henning attempt to make the cabin livable for Gus?
3. What is Carolina's philosophy about the human fetus?
4. How is Bill Bob different than the rest of the family?
5. How does Gus differ from the other children?
6. What is a dreefee and how does it affect the Orviston household?
7. What catches Gus completely off guard in his ideal setting and lifestyle?
8. Why does Gus feel sorry for Sigrid the minnow he puts in his tank? What is he learning about himself through his feelings for her?
9. What is the story of the Garbage Gut bass and why is catching him an anticlimax for Gus?
10. How does Henning wrongfully convince himself that Izaak Walton's book is the bible of fly-fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the raven symbolize at the end of the trek for Gus? Why does Gus take the trek? What does he learn? How does the trek change Gus?
Essay Topic 2
What does Nick teach Gus about God and how does Nick's story affect Gus?
Essay Topic 3
How do the conflicts of the Orvistons get resolved?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)