|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Gus considered by others in the public school system as a young boy?
2. What nickname does Gus give to his father?
3. What does Gus do about his depression?
4. How do Zeke's two installments of the story differ?
5. How does Gus get back home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of the Garbage Gut bass and why is catching him an anticlimax for Gus?
2. How does Gus differ from the other children?
3. What is a dreefee and how does it affect the Orviston household?
4. Why does Zeke tell the story of how Henning and Carolina met, and why does he tell it in the fashion that he does?
5. How does Gus react during the argument at dinner when he realizes that his parents only care about their own argument and not the story he is telling?
6. What is Izaak Walton's book about according to Ma? (Describe specific tales from it that she tells)
7. Explain Bill Bob's concept of life and death.
8. What does Gus see as the problem with Ma's two emotions that Gus describes in full at the end of the chapter "Being Educated & Gittin' Brung Up"?
9. How does Maggie add comic relief to a very serious situation?
10. How does Gus plan his life to maximize his fishing time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Gus is the protagonist, who or what is the antagonist? Explain how Gus is the protagonist and why the antagonist is the antagonist.
Essay Topic 2
How do the conflicts of the Orvistons get resolved?
Essay Topic 3
What is the religious theme of the story and how does it affect the major characters?
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)