|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bill Bob spread all over him that Gus had given him in exchange for a check?
2. What did Gus give himself as a graduation present?
3. How long does Gus sleep for after he vomits his breakfast?
4. How does Carolina make GC feel better about her grandson fishing on Sundays?
5. What does Henning do about the Izaak Walton book to prove to Ma that her opinion of it is wrong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the God notebook tell the reader about Gus's beliefs?
2. How does Gus react during the argument at dinner when he realizes that his parents only care about their own argument and not the story he is telling?
3. Why does Zeke tell the story of how Henning and Carolina met, and why does he tell it in the fashion that he does?
4. How does Gus differ from the other children?
5. Is the argument in "Voiding My Rheum" healing or destructive? Defend your answer.
6. How does Maggie add comic relief to a very serious situation?
7. What does Gus see as the problem with Ma's two emotions that Gus describes in full at the end of the chapter "Being Educated & Gittin' Brung Up"?
8. What catches Gus completely off guard in his ideal setting and lifestyle?
9. How does Gus describe his parents' relationship?
10. Gus does not believe in the vandalism that teenagers cause. What does he do instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance does the singing mouse play to the theme of hope?
Essay Topic 2
What is the religious theme of the story and how does it affect the major characters?
Essay Topic 3
How do the conflicts of the Orvistons get resolved?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)