|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Bill Bob first say to Gus?
2. What is the Rogue River Fishing War all about?
3. What is Bill Bob playing with when Gus finds him behind the cabin?
4. What allusion does Gus make to his reading of The Compleat Angler as many times as he did?
5. What does Gus do for the first time in a long while with Bill Bob at the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the God notebook tell the reader about Gus's beliefs?
2. What does Gus see as the problem with Ma's two emotions that Gus describes in full at the end of the chapter "Being Educated & Gittin' Brung Up"?
3. How do Titus and Gus connect?
4. How does Maggie add comic relief to a very serious situation?
5. Why does Gus feel sorry for Sigrid the minnow he puts in his tank? What is he learning about himself through his feelings for her?
6. What is a dreefee and how does it affect the Orviston household?
7. Gus does not believe in the vandalism that teenagers cause. What does he do instead?
8. How does Gus react during the argument at dinner when he realizes that his parents only care about their own argument and not the story he is telling?
9. How does Gus differ from the other children?
10. Why is Gus searching for the answer to death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What Taoist story does Gus tell at the end of the novel and how does it relate to what Gus has learned?
Essay Topic 2
What significance does the singing mouse play to the theme of hope?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Gus and Abe? How does this event change Gus's life and understanding?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)