|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Titus wearing that Gus admires but says he would never wear?
2. Why does Zeke tell the story of Carolina and Henning's meeting?
3. Who/what is Nijinsky as mentioned in Chapter 1?
4. How does Gus believe that he becomes a fishing prodigy?
5. What is the difference in philosophies on raising children between Henning and Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Bill Bob's concept of life and death.
2. What do statistics mean to the angler?
3. What catches Gus completely off guard in his ideal setting and lifestyle?
4. Why does Gus feel sorry for Sigrid the minnow he puts in his tank? What is he learning about himself through his feelings for her?
5. How does Gus decide that the great controversy of his parents isn't really about fishing at all?
6. How do Ma and Henning attempt to make the cabin livable for Gus?
7. What does Gus see as the crux of Izaak Walton's book and how does he feel about the message?
8. What is Carolina's philosophy about the human fetus?
9. In what ways has Gus changed since finding Abe?
10. Is the argument in "Voiding My Rheum" healing or destructive? Defend your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Nick teach Gus about God and how does Nick's story affect Gus?
Essay Topic 2
What happens to Gus and Abe? How does this event change Gus's life and understanding?
Essay Topic 3
What does the raven symbolize at the end of the trek for Gus? Why does Gus take the trek? What does he learn? How does the trek change Gus?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)