|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other living thing speaks in Titus's house?
(a) The cactus.
(b) The mouse.
(c) The cat.
(d) The geranium.
2. Who are Googler and Mangler?
(a) Names of two fish Hemingway caught.
(b) New friends of the dairy farm kids.
(c) Invisible friends of Arjuna and Hemingway.
3. What does Gus do to Sigrid at the end of the chapter "Neighbors"?
(a) He sets her free in the river.
(b) He eats her.
(c) He gives her to the boys.
4. What does Gus do when the girl leaves?
(a) He fishes alone.
(b) He goes home.
(c) He falls out of the tree.
(d) He follows her with his truck.
5. What does Gus buy from Emma that belonged to Hemingway?
(a) A duck.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A cow.
(d) A goat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about the modern name for the creek, the US Grant?
2. Why was Descartes looking at Gus strangely?
3. How does Eddy know that Gus was watching her when she was fishing naked?
4. What story does Nick tell Gus?
5. What does Nick come to Gus for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What neighbors does Gus meet; who are they; what do they do; what do they offer Gus?
2. How have Henning and Ma changed since Gus has been away? What do they tell Gus is the reason for the change?
3. What do Henning and his colleagues do metaphysically that Gus does not understand?
4. What is the significance of the chapter title "Closing the Door"?
5. What exchange do Titus and Gus have and why?
6. Why is Bill Bob standing in the cold whistling?
7. How does the story told by Thomas Bigeater affect Gus? Be sure to state specifics from the story.
8. On his trip back to Tamanawis, how does Gus approve of God for once?
9. How are Eddy and Gus alike?
10. What does Gus learn about solitude?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)