|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gus cry after catching Garbage Gut?
(a) Because he could not eat the fish.
(b) Because he had conquered his quest.
(c) Because it was smaller than he expected.
(d) Because Gnat beats the fish to death.
2. What is Izaak Walton?
(a) A writer about fly-fishing.
(b) An expert on bait fishing.
(c) A famous fisherman.
(d) A friend of Henning's.
3. What does Henning do about the Izaak Walton book to prove to Ma that her opinion of it is wrong?
(a) He writes an article showing its good points.
(b) He debates with Ma about it.
(c) He gets other experts to authenticate what is written.
(d) He reads it to Ma.
4. What nickname does Gus give to his father?
5. When Gus wakes up in "I Reckon" why doesn't he know what time it is?
(a) His head hurts so much that he can't read his watch.
(b) He does not know how long he slept.
(c) His watch is missing.
(d) The fog is so thick, that he can't tell if it is day or night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Carolina make GC feel better about her grandson fishing on Sundays?
2. What book does Gus consider the most explosive in existence?
3. What does the reader learn about Bill Bob in "Anamnesis" that wasn't known before?
4. How does Gus feel after he puts Bill Bob on the bus to go home?
5. What is the conversation between Ma and Pa about at most dinners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Gus emotionally in the first few months alone in the cabin?
2. What does the God notebook tell the reader about Gus's beliefs?
3. In what ways does Ma use her shotgun and what does this say about her and the way she raises her children?
4. Explain Bill Bob's concept of life and death.
5. How do Titus and Gus connect?
6. What are Ma's and Henning's philosophies of death?
7. Why does Zeke tell the story of how Henning and Carolina met, and why does he tell it in the fashion that he does?
8. What is Carolina's philosophy about the human fetus?
9. Why does Gus feel sorry for Sigrid the minnow he puts in his tank? What is he learning about himself through his feelings for her?
10. What does Gus see as the crux of Izaak Walton's book and how does he feel about the message?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)