|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Gus give God?
2. What story does Bigeater tell Gus and Ma?
(a) Of the young men who killed too many fish
(b) Of the young men who were consumed by fire.
(c) Of the young men who thought they had all of the answers.
(d) Of the young men who listened to the Spirits.
3. How does Gus's refrigerator transform into one filled with food and drink?
(a) People swap him for lessons.
(b) People swap him for flies and poles.
(c) He loves to shop.
(d) People swap him for fish.
4. What does Gus need to help him tell Titus his problems?
(a) A good meal.
(b) A good night's sleep.
5. What are Ma, Henning, and Bill Bob actually doing when Gus comes home?
(a) Creating new flies.
(b) Sabotaging each other's fishing gear.
(c) Telling jokes.
(d) Playing charades.
6. What inanimate object does Titus use to explain God to Gus?
(a) Ezra Brooks, the bourbon.
(b) Rodney, the fishing pole.
(c) Nijinsky, the stuffed fish.
(d) Tamanawis, the river.
7. Who is waiting in the cabin for Gus when he comes home from the Halloween party?
(b) Bill Bob.
8. Why does Ma write to Gus after she reads the interview?
(a) She is angry with Gus for duping Dutch.
(b) She is proud of Gus for duping Dutch.
(c) She is curious.
(d) She is sad that Gus would dupe Dutch.
9. When Gus awakes in "the River Writes" what does he see in nature?
(a) The Garden Queen's robe.
(c) The answer to his existence.
10. What is Bill Bob's new pastime that Gus discovers when he comes home?
(b) Keeping Ma and Henning laughing.
11. Why do Titus and Gus go to Portland?
(a) Titus says his flat is more fitting.
(b) There are girls in Portland.
(c) There are bars in Portland.
(d) Gus wants a change of scenery.
12. How does Gus become "famous" in the chapter "Hemingway"?
(a) He gets in a car crash while hitching back home and saves the driver.
(b) He saves a man drowning in the river.
(c) He saves one of the dairy kids from a hunting accident.
(d) He catches a 10 pound fish with the dairy kids.
13. What metaphor does Gus use about Mikey and Show and Tell?
(a) A fat pencil.
(b) A pet rabbit.
(c) A stuffed bear.
(d) A snake.
14. What happened to the creek?
(a) It dried up.
(b) It was restored.
(c) It died from pollution.
(d) It was stocked with trout.
15. How does Gus begin earning an income at the end of the chapter "Hemingway"?
(a) He sells flies and rods.
(b) He sells fishing tips.
(c) He sells fishing lessons.
(d) He sells fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gus do to Sigrid at the end of the chapter "Neighbors"?
2. What story does Nick tell Gus?
3. What makes the mountain shameful to Gus in "The River Writes"?
4. What is ironic about the modern name for the creek, the US Grant?
5. What does Gus do a lot of when he first arrives back home at the cabin?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)