|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Titus and Gus go to Portland?
(a) Gus wants a change of scenery.
(b) There are girls in Portland.
(c) There are bars in Portland.
(d) Titus says his flat is more fitting.
2. What does Eddy promise Gus when she leaves?
(a) That she loves him.
(b) That she will call him.
(c) That she will return to stay.
(d) That she will return the next evening.
3. Why doesn't Gus eat his five pounds of oranges?
(a) He gets distracted.
(b) No one can eat that many oranges.
(c) He decides to throw some in the river.
(d) He shares them with families.
4. When Gus awakes in "the River Writes" what does he see in nature?
(a) The answer to his existence.
(d) The Garden Queen's robe.
5. What does Titus feed Gus on the morning after he spends the night in Portland?
(b) Steak and eggs.
(c) Bacon and eggs.
(d) Dry cereal.
6. What does Gus do a lot of when he first arrives back home at the cabin?
7. What does Gus do when the girl leaves?
(a) He goes home.
(b) He fishes alone.
(c) He falls out of the tree.
(d) He follows her with his truck.
8. What is the origin of the creek as Gus finds out.
(a) The replica of the Liberty Bell.
(b) The bank.
(c) The replica of Independence Hall.
(d) Another creek.
9. What Native American story does Gus tell?
(a) About the stars and the earth.
(b) About the flowers and the rain.
(c) About the ocean and the sun.
(d) About the moon and the sky.
10. What other living thing speaks in Titus's house?
(a) The geranium.
(b) The cat.
(c) The mouse.
(d) The cactus.
11. Why is one reason Titus did not give for believing that Eddy will find Gus again?
(a) He gave her quotations to match her pole.
(b) He was being chivalrous, not creepy.
(c) He told her she was beautiful.
(d) He has her pole.
12. Who is waiting in the cabin for Gus when he comes home from the Halloween party?
(a) Bill Bob.
13. What does Gus do to Sigrid at the end of the chapter "Neighbors"?
(a) He gives her to the boys.
(c) He eats her.
(d) He sets her free in the river.
14. What story does Nick tell Gus?
(a) A fishing story about a shark.
(b) A war story in which he finds God.
(c) A story about a mean chaplain.
(d) A love story.
15. What stuffed animal does Rama have with him in "Jesus Keeps Fishing"?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A duck.
(c) A bird.
(d) A kitten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gus discover at the end of the chapter "The Line of Light"?
2. What is ironic about the modern name for the creek, the US Grant?
3. What are Henning, Ma, and Bill Bob pretending to play when Gus comes home?
4. Why doesn't Gus want to use the dairy kids' names?
5. Why is Gus so taken by the girl in the tree in "The Warble of the Water Owl"?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)