|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gus become "famous" in the chapter "Hemingway"?
(a) He saves one of the dairy kids from a hunting accident.
(b) He gets in a car crash while hitching back home and saves the driver.
(c) He catches a 10 pound fish with the dairy kids.
(d) He saves a man drowning in the river.
2. What figurative door does Gus close at the end of the chapter of the same name?
(a) The door to his fishing career.
(b) The door to his future.
(c) The door to his past.
(d) The door to his family.
3. What method of fishing does Gus teach the old man in the chapter "Dutch"?
(a) The sandwich method.
(b) The no bait method.
(c) The Twinkie method.
(d) The swim method.
4. What does Gus need to help him tell Titus his problems?
(a) A good meal.
(d) A good night's sleep.
5. What doesn't the girl ask Gus?
(a) "Where do you live?
(b) "What are you afraid of"?
(c) "Are you hurt?"
(d) "Did you run away from an asylum?"
6. What will Gus and Titus trade?
(a) Secrets for secrets.
(b) Dinner for love advice.
(c) Girls for bourbon.
(d) Fishing for philosophy.
7. How does Pedro plan on waking his family to see the mouse?
(a) He will poke at them.
(b) He will holler.
(c) He ties string to their fingers.
(d) He sets an alarm.
8. Why does Gus catch the trout in the chapter "Closing the Door"?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) He wants to catch the last fish in the creek.
(c) He frees it from the polluted water.
(d) He wants to move it to the polluted water to die.
9. What does Gus come to realize about the "source"?
(a) That it cannot be found.
(b) That it does not exist.
(c) That it is everywhere.
(d) That it has no meaning.
10. What is the one name of the dairy kids that Gus liked?
(d) Donald Duck.
11. How does Ma view dams?
(a) She feels they are a necessary evil.
(b) She hates them for destroying the salmon.
(c) She thinks they are needed.
(d) She applauds them for what they do.
12. What is amusing about the way Titus speaks while making breakfast for Gus and Descartes?
(a) He mimics Descartes and barks.
(b) He speaks for Descartes in a dog voice.
(c) He speaks for Descartes with a french accent.
(d) None of the answers is correct.
13. What name does Gus give God?
14. How does Eddy know that Gus was watching her when she was fishing naked?
(a) Steve told her.
(b) Hemingway told her.
(c) She had seen him.
(d) She found the oranges downstream.
15. Why doesn't Gus eat his five pounds of oranges?
(a) He shares them with families.
(b) No one can eat that many oranges.
(c) He gets distracted.
(d) He decides to throw some in the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick come to Gus for?
2. What is Bill Bob's new pastime that Gus discovers when he comes home?
3. What does the man from Arizona who wants to sell Gus's wares say to Gus?
4. At the beginning of the "Eddy" chapter what is Gus's plan for himself?
5. What was Titus doing so badly in "Jesus Keeps Fishing?"
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)