|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the creek?
(a) It died from pollution.
(b) It dried up.
(c) It was restored.
(d) It was stocked with trout.
2. Who is waiting in the cabin for Gus when he comes home from the Halloween party?
(d) Bill Bob.
3. What does Eddy set up for Gus to do while she is gone?
(a) Catch a chinook.
(b) Follow a salmon upstream.
(c) Build a deck.
(d) Build a dock.
4. What does Gus do when the girl leaves?
(a) He fishes alone.
(b) He follows her with his truck.
(c) He falls out of the tree.
(d) He goes home.
5. Why is Gus bothered by the old man that he meets at Shat Creek in the chapter "Dutch"?
(a) The old man is stupid.
(b) The old man scares the fish away.
(c) The old man knows more about fish than Gus does.
(d) The old man won't stop talking.
6. What does Nick come to Gus for?
(a) To tell him a story about an old friend.
(b) To learn how to make flies and poles.
(c) To drink wine and sit by the fire.
(d) To learn how to fish.
7. Why does Gus catch the trout in the chapter "Closing the Door"?
(a) He frees it from the polluted water.
(b) He wants to catch the last fish in the creek.
(c) He is hungry.
(d) He wants to move it to the polluted water to die.
8. What was Bill Bob doing in the cold air that Gus stood to watch?
9. What are Ma, Henning, and Bill Bob actually doing when Gus comes home?
(a) Creating new flies.
(b) Sabotaging each other's fishing gear.
(c) Telling jokes.
(d) Playing charades.
10. What do Ernie, Emma, and the kids give to Gus in return for fishing lessons?
(a) Fruits and vegetables.
(b) A puppy.
(c) A home cooked meal.
11. What story does Bigeater tell Gus and Ma?
(a) Of the young men who were consumed by fire.
(b) Of the young men who thought they had all of the answers.
(c) Of the young men who listened to the Spirits.
(d) Of the young men who killed too many fish
12. What will Gus and Titus trade?
(a) Girls for bourbon.
(b) Fishing for philosophy.
(c) Dinner for love advice.
(d) Secrets for secrets.
13. What does Gus do a lot of when he first arrives back home at the cabin?
14. What does Gus discover at the end of the chapter "The Line of Light"?
(a) All of the answers.
(c) The best way to fish.
15. In the beginning of "The River Writes" how does Gus now view himself in regard to fishing?
(a) As an expert.
(b) As an amateur.
(c) As a murderer.
(d) As a sportsman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is amusing about the way Titus speaks while making breakfast for Gus and Descartes?
2. Why is Bill Bob so fascinated with Pedro's home?
3. What annoys Gus about the dairy kids?
4. Why is Gus so taken by the girl in the tree in "The Warble of the Water Owl"?
5. What does Gus come to realize about the "source"?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)