|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rooms are in the cabin that Gus leases?
2. How does Carolina make GC feel better about her grandson fishing on Sundays?
(a) Carolina stops Gus from fishing on Sundays.
(b) Carolina compares fishing to church.
(c) Carolina gives CG some bourbon.
(d) Carolina makes GC a big Sunday supper.
3. What kind of a conversation do Gus and Titus have in front of the fire in "Fainting Before the Duel"?
(a) A witty one.
(b) A silly one.
(c) A sad one.
(d) A serious one.
4. According to Gus in "The Ideal Schedule", what makes fishing even better?
(a) Not fishing all of the time.
(b) Fishing every day.
(c) Fishing in the early morning.
(d) Fishing with Bill Bob.
5. What happened to Abe?
(a) He had gotten lost on the river.
(b) He drowned.
(c) He got hurt on a tree limb in the river.
(d) He had fallen out of his boat and was seeking help.
6. What is Bill Bob playing with when Gus finds him behind the cabin?
7. To what does the narrator compare a fish's death?
(a) An infant's birth.
(b) The death of a loved one.
(d) A Baptismal ceremony.
8. What does Gus do with his copy of Izaak Walton's book?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He gives it to his father telling him it is nonsense.
(c) He throws it out.
(d) He puts it on his father's shelf to gather cobwebs.
9. What does Henning do to his copy of Izaak Walton's book?
(a) He puts it up on a high shelf.
(b) He puts it on Ma's nightstand, so she will always see it.
(c) He throws it into the river.
(d) He burns it.
10. What does Titus do while he speaks with Gus in front of the fire?
(a) He wraps himself in blankets.
(b) He falls in and out of sleep.
(c) He smokes a cigar.
(d) He reads poetry.
11. How does the editor say that the carp got into the parking lot "lake" one spring?
(a) He says it half swam, half crawled from a sewer.
(b) He claims God put it there.
(c) He states the "Fishing Dutchman" put it there.
(d) He says Gus put it there.
12. What did Gus give himself as a graduation present?
(a) An apartment to live in at college.
(b) All new fishing gear.
(c) A year's lease on a fishing cabin.
(d) A new Buick.
13. Who/what is Nijinsky as mentioned in Chapter 1?
(a) A fishing rod.
(b) The steelhead Hen is trying to catch.
(c) Carolina's nickname.
(d) Henning's brother.
14. Why did Gnat name the large mouthed bass "Garbage Gut"?
(a) The kids fed the bass real garbage like paper plates and plastic forks.
(b) Because the bass waited for the picnickers to throw their trash into the river.
(c) Eating this bass would make your gut feel like garbage.
(d) Large mouthed bass taste like garbage.
15. What does Gus do to the boy that they call Barf-breath?
(a) He puts fish in the puddle of their driveway.
(b) He puts crawdads in his salad.
(c) He puts fish in his lunch.
(d) He puts fish in his home aquarium.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Gus react when Henning was going to whup Bill Bob for writing in the book in "Statistical Improbabilities"?
2. Why does Henning laugh a "lunatic laughter" that can be heard around the canyon?
3. What is Izaak Walton?
4. What happened with the Doberman and Ma?
5. Why is Gus the one who tucks Bill Bob in at night?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)