|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bill Bob write a check out on for a candy cigarette from Gus?
(a) A page of the Bible.
(b) A comic book.
(c) His mother's checkbook.
(d) A fishing manual.
2. How does the editor say that the carp got into the parking lot "lake" one spring?
(a) He states the "Fishing Dutchman" put it there.
(b) He says Gus put it there.
(c) He claims God put it there.
(d) He says it half swam, half crawled from a sewer.
3. What was Gus voted in his senior year in high school?
(a) Mr. Fisherman.
(b) Mr. Fly.
(c) Mr. Bait.
(d) Mr. Most-Out-Of-It.
4. How do Zeke's two installments of the story differ?
(a) He becomes agitated for the second installment.
(b) He changes the dialect.
(c) He reinvents the first installment in the second.
(d) He is drunk for the second installment.
5. What does Gus do with his copy of Izaak Walton's book?
(a) He puts it on his father's shelf to gather cobwebs.
(b) He burns it.
(c) He throws it out.
(d) He gives it to his father telling him it is nonsense.
6. It is said that fishermen are such statisticians that even the fish were counted on what occasion?
(a) When a boat is lost at sea.
(b) After a shipwreck.
(c) With Jesus when he feeds the masses.
(d) After a severe storm.
7. What does Henning tell Gus will make them part of eternity?
(a) Fishing as it will last forever.
(c) Their energy.
(d) Being close to the water as it will be forever.
8. What is Izaak Walton?
(a) A writer about fly-fishing.
(b) A friend of Henning's.
(c) A famous fisherman.
(d) An expert on bait fishing.
9. Why is Gus the one who tucks Bill Bob in at night?
(a) Henning is working at that time.
(b) Bill Bob wants Gus to do it.
(c) It makes Ma too sad to tuck him in.
(d) Ma and Henning argue too much.
10. Why does Zeke tell the story of Carolina and Henning's meeting?
(a) He is Henning's best friend.
(b) He was with Carolina on the day she met Henning.
(c) He is Henning's brother.
(d) He is Carolina's brother.
11. What does Henning do about the Izaak Walton book to prove to Ma that her opinion of it is wrong?
(a) He writes an article showing its good points.
(b) He reads it to Ma.
(c) He debates with Ma about it.
(d) He gets other experts to authenticate what is written.
12. To what does the narrator compare a fish's death?
(b) An infant's birth.
(c) A Baptismal ceremony.
(d) The death of a loved one.
13. What happened with the Doberman and Ma?
(a) Ma aimed the shotgun at the owner after it attacked Gus.
(b) Having escaped from its yard, Ma tamed it.
(c) It attacked Bill Bob, so she beat it with a bat.
(d) It attacked Gus, so she shot it.
14. According to Gus in "The Ideal Schedule", what makes fishing even better?
(a) Fishing with Bill Bob.
(b) Fishing every day.
(c) Fishing in the early morning.
(d) Not fishing all of the time.
15. What does Gus wonder about his father?
(a) If he loves Ma.
(b) If he loves Bill Bob.
(c) If he loves Gus.
(d) If he loves anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the L.Q.B.S.?
2. How does the huge fight at dinner in "Voiding my Rheum" culminate?
3. What is ironic about the meeting of Carolina and Henning?
4. What is the conversation between Ma and Pa about at most dinners?
5. How does Henning earn his living?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)