|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Gus on the Fourth of July?
(a) He catches his largest fish yet.
(b) His family comes to visit.
(c) He stops fishing.
(d) He gets invited to a celebration.
2. Who were Gus's closest neighbors at the cabin?
(a) A rancher and his family.
(b) A fisherman and his wife.
(c) A tree farmer and his wife.
(d) A dairy farmer and his family.
3. What does Henning tell Gus will make them part of eternity?
(a) Being close to the water as it will be forever.
(b) Fishing as it will last forever.
(c) Their energy.
4. What does Ma retell about the mule and the pike?
(a) The mule attempts to catch the jumping pike which makes the men laugh.
(b) The pike jumps up and scares the mule who runs into the river.
(c) The men save the mule from the pike that jumps up to bite the mule's lip.
(d) The pike jumps up and bite the mule's lip while the men laugh.
5. What is the difference in philosophies on raising children between Henning and Carolina?
(a) She believes in education, he in discipline.
(b) He believes in education, she in hands on learning.
(c) She believes they should do nothing but fish, he disagrees.
(d) He believes they should do nothing but fish, she disagrees.
6. What does Gus deem as the crux of Izaak Walton's book?
(a) Fishing for fun.
(d) Fishing for a living.
7. What philosophical question keeps running through Gus's mind in "I Reckon"?
(a) What is death?
(b) How many fish can one catch in a day?
(c) How did life begin?
(d) How many fish are in the ocean?
8. What gift does Henning give to Gus for the cabin?
(a) Fishing paintings.
(b) An aquarium.
(c) A cord of wood.
9. What does Gus do with the man he found in the water?
(a) He dives in after him and pulls him into the boat.
(b) He yells out to the woman who had been calling for him.
(c) He leaves him where he is and seeks help.
(d) He ties him to the canoe to bring him to the dock.
10. How do Zeke's two installments of the story differ?
(a) He changes the dialect.
(b) He is drunk for the second installment.
(c) He becomes agitated for the second installment.
(d) He reinvents the first installment in the second.
11. What confused Ma about the famous book "The Complete Angler" that Henning gave her to read?
(a) The reason why Henning owned it.
(b) The language.
(c) The s's looked like f's.
(d) The ideas.
12. What was Gus voted in his senior year in high school?
(a) Mr. Most-Out-Of-It.
(b) Mr. Fisherman.
(c) Mr. Bait.
(d) Mr. Fly.
13. What does Gus do about his depression?
(a) He goes to see a psychiatrist.
(b) He visits home.
(c) He fishes less and socializes more.
(d) He cuts himself off from all humans.
14. What does Ma say happens on the otter hunt?
(a) The men hunt only males.
(b) The men save the babies after the mother is killed.
(c) The men spare the mother because of the babies.
(d) The men slaughter the mother and the babies.
15. What is different about Bill Bob's bicycle?
(a) He made the seat very high.
(b) He has placed a large horn on the handlebars.
(c) He painted it various colors.
(d) He has equipped it with multiple objects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill Bob write a check out on for a candy cigarette from Gus?
2. What is the conversation between Ma and Pa about at most dinners?
3. How does Ma handle the folk who come "witnessing"?
4. Who/what is Nijinsky as mentioned in Chapter 1?
5. What does Gus say of devoted people in "Excerpts from the God-notebook"?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)