|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the ancient seer call white men?
2. To whom are sacrifices made before the initiation season?
3. What kind of animal does Waiyaki sit next to in the thingira at the beginning of Chapter Four?
4. Who was the great witch whose magic won him great fame?
5. From whom does Chege tell Waiyaki that he is descended?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nyambura so upset by Muthoni's confession by the river?
2. What is the significance of Kerinyaga?
3. What rumors about the white people are circulating?
4. How does Joshua feel about the rite of circumcision?
5. Why are the two boys fighting in Chapter Two?
6. How are the two ridges, Kameno and Makuyu, described?
7. What shocking information does Chege tell Waiyaki?
8. Describe the festivities of initiation eve.
9. Describe the village where Joshua's family lives.
10. What is Muthoni's argument to Nyambura about her desire to be circumcised?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the concept of family, and its importance, portrayed in "The River between"? Please be specific.
Essay Topic 2
How is the importance of compromise addressed in "The River Between"? Please use at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concepts of "good" and "bad" as Ngugi addresses them in "The River Between." Use at least three specific examples.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)