|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what sin of his wife's does Joshua beg God's forgiveness?
2. What year is Waiyaki in at the Siriana school?
3. Where did Waiyaki sit for the ceremony?
4. Who does Nyambura quote as saying circumcision is sinful?
5. What gave Waiyaki a scar above his left eye?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stops the boys' fight in Chapter Two?
2. What do Waiyaki and his father talk about on their walk to the sacred grove?
3. How does Nyambura feel about the river?
4. Describe the village where Joshua's family lives.
5. Why does Nyambura leave the village at the end of Chapter Eight?
6. What are Sundays typically like for Joshua?
7. What is the significance of Kerinyaga?
8. How does Waiyaki feel about the initiation celebrations?
9. What is the second birth ceremony?
10. Describe the festivities of initiation eve.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does education have in "The River Between"? Are there different kinds of education? Please be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which Ngugi uses the Bible in his novel.
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes in "The River Between" is unity. Discuss how Ngugi develops this theme throughout the novel.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)