|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom are sacrifices made before the initiation season?
2. What is a "kihii"?
3. What kind of tree grows near the edge of the sacred hill?
4. What is the meaning of the river's name?
5. Who sometimes helps Joshua with the Sunday service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Muthoni's argument to Nyambura about her desire to be circumcised?
2. What rumors about the white people are circulating?
3. How are the two ridges, Kameno and Makuyu, described?
4. Describe the sacred place.
5. Describe the festivities of initiation eve.
6. How does Joshua feel about the rite of circumcision?
7. What is the significance of Kerinyaga?
8. What is Chege's explanation for why antelope run from men?
9. How does Waiyaki feel toward Muthoni?
10. What do Waiyaki and his father talk about on their walk to the sacred grove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least two of the female characters from "The River Between"--Muthoni, Nyambura, Waiyaki's mother, Miriamu-- and discuss in an essay how Ngugi portrays the role of women in the tribe using these characters.
Essay Topic 2
How is the importance of compromise addressed in "The River Between"? Please use at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
How is the concept of family, and its importance, portrayed in "The River between"? Please be specific.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)