|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joshua call himself after converting to Christianity?
2. Which of these is not used as an instrument during the initiation dances?
3. What event in Joshua's life brought him peace?
4. Whom is Waiyaki shocked to see at the initiation preparations?
5. At the end of Chapter Two, what event does Chege remind Waiyaki will take place the following day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Waiyaki feel about the initiation celebrations?
2. What rumors about the white people are circulating?
3. What is the source of antagonism between the people of the two ridges?
4. What does Chege tell Waiyaki he will have to do?
5. How does Nyambura feel about the river?
6. What is Muthoni's argument to Nyambura about her desire to be circumcised?
7. Why is Nyambura so upset by Muthoni's confession by the river?
8. What is Chege's explanation for why antelope run from men?
9. Describe the festivities of initiation eve.
10. What is the significance of Kerinyaga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concepts of "good" and "bad" as Ngugi addresses them in "The River Between." Use at least three specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Reverend Livingstone have a great deal of influence over the rest of the other characters? Please use at least three examples.
Essay Topic 3
How important is Waiyaki's "yearning for something more" in the development of his character? Explain.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)